HDTV Captioning: What You Should Know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pacman,

Please provide brand and model number of your TV.

Peter

My HDTV brand is 32" Westinghouse and model number is LTV-32w3.

Thank you, I do care, please stop Pacman!

today, I asked the nice staff at Circuit City to let me try out on Sony DVD player connect by Component video to Sony 32" with my Superman movie that have CC in there. I have see the display or information saying it's 480i. Unfortunately, no CC display. I switch to HDMI, no CC still... I switch to S-Video. It support!

I may think that you have brought most expensive HDTV that have ton features while basic HDTV on any brand do not. Maybe some basic can. General, Component doesn't support. Can we just forget about it? :)

Thank you Pacman for providing TV information.

I dug deeper and could not find anything about your TV related to CC and component video signal. But I found valuable information about other TVs like Mitsubishi LT46131 or LT46231 which is a very high end 46" LCD TV. I downloaded the manual (Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America, Inc. - LT-46231) and last sentence of second paragraph on page 66, I found a sentence from the user manual:

"The TV cannot decode closed captions received on component or HDMI inputs."

Wow!!!! It looks like Pacman and PowerON are right. I am sorry that you are not able to see CC via component cables. I have a three year old Sony 60" XBR LCD rear projection TV and I can see CC via component at 480i.

So let's end this debate and agree that not all TVs can display analog CC using component cables (480i).

Thanks,
Peter

I mean component and/or HDMI don't have 480i some company

Thank you Pacman for providing TV information.

I dug deeper and could not find anything about your TV related to CC and component video signal. But I found valuable information about other TVs like Mitsubishi LT46131 or LT46231 which is a very high end 46" LCD TV. I downloaded the manual (Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America, Inc. - LT-46231) and last sentence of second paragraph on page 66, I found a sentence from the user manual:

"The TV cannot decode closed captions received on component or HDMI inputs."

Wow!!!! It looks like Pacman and PowerON are right. I am sorry that you are not able to see CC via component cables. I have a three year old Sony 60" XBR LCD rear projection TV and I can see CC via component at 480i.

So let's end this debate and agree that not all TVs can display analog CC using component cables (480i).

Thanks,
Peter

Component Video does not work on my previous HDTV Westinghouse and recently brand new Philips HDTV :)

I remember you told me s-video looks better than component video for colors. I told you it must be dvd player since it's old or no support .

I remember you told me s-video looks better than component video for colors. I told you it must be dvd player since it's old or no support .

Last night, I snoop around the manual for my DVD player. It come with both 480i and 480p. While it display only 480i on my HDTV. Honestly, it doesn't look like 480i to me on both S-Video and Component, since general told that there is line. I take a good closer in motive, pause. It look clear like 480p to me. I tried turn progressive scan off, it does appear only little blur looking.

I'll try and get picture to compare to see how good.

I mean component and/or HDMI don't have 480i some company

480i is work on my HDTV via component cable but don't support CC source.

captioning

Wish someone was with me when I have the opportunity to go HDTV to explain this. Appreciate your assistance, at least you have flagged a number of concerns and the fact that we need to know our products. Like you said though, most sales people you talk to don't know about these features unless they need them or enjoy them themselves.
Louise K

Last edited:
i recent brought new hdtv 42'' with lcd.
yes it works cc with hdmi and hdmi2 also component video :cool:

CC support go direct to HDTV

Cable - YES
S-Video - YES
Composite Video - YES
DVI - NO
HDMI - NO
Component Video - NO

Wow, what model DVD player did you get?

I have never seen a DVD player output analog CC through HDMI!!!!!!!!

Peter

You just got analog CC via HDMI input when switch into 480i, that few HDTV does support.

I doubt that you get digital CC when watch in 480p since most DVD movies don't support digital CC.

Which your new hdtv connect to? DVD Player? DVR? ATSC? Media Center?

if DVD Player, please what company and model?
and you check test 480p, 720p, 1080i work CC?

Which you see CC is No Soild or Soild Black background?
No Soild = Subtitle
Soild = CC

Which your new hdtv connect to? DVD Player? DVR? ATSC? Media Center?

if DVD Player, please what company and model?
and you check test 480p, 720p, 1080i work CC?

Which you see CC is No Soild or Soild Black background?
No Soild = Subtitle
Soild = CC

Are you stupid? DVD movies don't support digital CC, period.

There's nothing to do with digital CC for DVD movies.

starship is talking about his hdtv that support CC via HDMI when watch in 480i.

Few HDTV does support CC via HDMI when switch into 480i.

I remember

Hi Guys,

I remember I went to Store, I test all HDTV
they are two diffrent

(Type 1) All Sony HDTV or other, I use options show "CC" but it is no function only CC!, CC2,...CC5, and Text1...Text5 etc.. for HDMI, Cable, QAM, Video etc.. I click another ASTC, Optons, I saw have Funcation Size, Font, color

(Type 2) I another Sharp, Viewsonic, I click they have funcation BOTH ASTC, video, cable have size, font, color

DVD Player, DVR(off cc) -

Type1 will work 480i on cc
but
Type2 won't work 480i on cc

I guess

My HDTV is type1 which you have type1 or type2?

old trick for new stuff

I just recently got a hdtv(sony kd-34xbr970) & was disappointed with the cc situation.
I just bought a really cheap philips upconverting dvd player & it works great for me...720p & 1080i from my dvd-rs. But to get cc to show up, I had to dig out my old stand-alone NCI 4000 box & hook it up so the signal passes thru it to the dvd recorder. Then I put the disk in the philips & can watch at 720p or 1080i with the captions. I guess the NCI box makes the captions part of the image/video instead of line 21? But it works in this particular situation for me. I use hdmi from the philips to the tv.
Not a solution for most of the problems but it does work for me.

dave

You just got analog CC via HDMI input when switch into 480i, that few HDTV does support.

I doubt that you get digital CC when watch in 480p since most DVD movies don't support digital CC.

no i dont need switch to 480i from 1080i. i keep it that way. everything are fine with cc.

no i dont need switch to 480i from 1080i. i keep it that way. everything are fine with cc.

Are you serious? I don't believe.

CC is only work on 480i, that is far what I know.

You means DVD player? or HD receiver?

In the future, when you say that you bought a great TV, DVD player, etc. and CC works great at high resolution, please specify exact brand name and model number.

Starship Winger and RHR, exactly what brand and model number TV and video equipment do you have?

Thanks,
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back