HDTV Captioning: What You Should Know

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have HDMI connected from comcast cable to hdtv and cc does work if you turn CC on in cable box's menu. also before i replaced component with HDMI, CC did work just fine with component on between cable box and hdtv.

sorry it is off topic.

unfortunately, not for DVD, BR or HD-DVD :(

My television is HD and it doesn't work caption unless I have another device like Dish Network has support caption inside machine.

I like what Dishnetwork give me my prefer caption. It looks like real live typing, is there a box of roach is doing typing? heh

Anyway.. I am little concerns for our future about HD is begin grow and we have to pay extra for using device to make caption clear and without that caption will gabble..

HD's caption default is so SMALL! I have to set that machine to make large font that I can relax my eyes and not like this :squint: and ask my wife to borrow her glass..

No, component is progressive scan, that's 480p.

I can't believe that you are really crazy.

CC isn't work on my HDTV via component.

You CAN'T change to 480i via PS3 with HDMI, only from 480p to 1080p.

RHR is correct. Component can either be 480i and 480p. For example, in order to watch analog CC from DVD player using component cables, you have to set the component output of DVD player to non-progressive (interlace) via on-screen Menu setup screen of DVD player. At least that's how my DVD player works.

My DVD player also has DVI output and like you said, DVD player cannot output CC (analog or digital) via DVI cable because DVI only supports higher than 480p or DVD player simply don't support it. Hopefully (I doubt it) in the future there will be DVD player (like cable or satellite boxes) supporting CC for 480p or greater but I don't think it's going to happen because SDH will be used instead.

Peter

Well DONE!

When I read your blog about those information and was like WOW. It plently benefit for us and understand that new technology and able to use it.

I am going to copy those information and written from you.

Well done!

RHR is correct. Component can either be 480i and 480p. For example, in order to watch analog CC from DVD player using component cables, you have to set the component output of DVD player to non-progressive (interlace) via on-screen Menu setup screen of DVD player. At least that's how my DVD player works.

My DVD player also has DVI output and like you said, DVD player cannot output CC (analog or digital) via DVI cable because DVI only supports higher than 480p or DVD player simply don't support it. Hopefully (I doubt it) in the future there will be DVD player (like cable or satellite boxes) supporting CC for 480p or greater but I don't think it's going to happen because SDH will be used instead.

Peter

It's still not work on my HDTV, still not work...

On Xbox 360, you can't change to 480i when watch DVD playback or play games because component in their system is remain to be 480p to 1080p, up to 1080i for most HDTV set. You only need mini switch to TV instread of HDTV to get 480i but wouldn't catch CC on display, though, until you use composite cable or S-Video to catch CC.

I'm seriously, CC isn't work via component cable on my HDTV.

FYI, my HDTV support digital CC via over the air on antenna when watch in ATSC or HD shows

On Xbox 360, you can't change to 480i when watch DVD playback or play games because component in their system is remain to be 480p to 1080p, up to 1080i for most HDTV set. You only need mini switch to TV instread of HDTV to get 480i but wouldn't catch CC on display, though, until you use composite cable or S-Video to catch CC.

FYI, my HDTV support digital CC via over the air on antenna when watch in ATSC or HD shows

I think I am beginning to understand your issue. I was not aware you were using XBox to play DVD movies. Component specification includes both 480i and 480p. I am not famailiar with XBox, but it seems the setup for DVD player in XBox does not allow you to set component output to 480i.

Do you have a stand alone DVD player with component outputs? If so, go to setup menu and see if you can set the component output to non-progressive (interlace). Maybe not every stand alone progressive scan DVD player allow you to select different component output settings.

Peter

That's because either PS3 and 360 do not have a full functional players. I do believe if you bought a blu-ray or HD-DVD player that has a full functional will allow not only display CC on the HDTV but also remove both black bars as well. One of movies I watched was Star War 3 on the 360 and it wont remove both black bars. So I decided using a DVD burner( almost full functional) and it allows removing both black bars and display CC on it. By the way, I use VGA (360) and DVI (PC) cable. By the way, using MCE, it works also even though uusing HDMI, DVI, VGA, or conponment.

That's because either PS3 and 360 do not have a full functional players. I do believe if you bought a blu-ray or HD-DVD player that has a full functional will allow not only display CC on the HDTV but also remove both black bars as well. One of movies I watched was Star War 3 on the 360 and it wont remove both black bars. So I decided using a DVD burner( almost full functional) and it allows removing both black bars and display CC on it. By the way, I use VGA (360) and DVI (PC) cable. By the way, using MCE, it works also even though uusing HDMI, DVI, VGA, or conponment.

Xbox 360 does have feature to remove the black bars but depends on ratio.

but... it's bad idea because you will lose of picture on side, from left to right.

For movies, that's 2:35 or 2:40 then that's impossible to remove but some DVD players offers overscan, that is bad idea because you will loss of picture on side.

If 1:85 or 1:78 then there's perfect on 16:9 HDTV.

I think I am beginning to understand your issue. I was not aware you were using XBox to play DVD movies. Component specification includes both 480i and 480p. I am not famailiar with XBox, but it seems the setup for DVD player in XBox does not allow you to set component output to 480i.

Do you have a stand alone DVD player with component outputs? If so, go to setup menu and see if you can set the component output to non-progressive (interlace). Maybe not every stand alone progressive scan DVD player allow you to select different component output settings.

Peter

Well, not all DVD players are same, all of them have different offers.

Xbox 360 does have feature to remove the black bars but depends on ratio.

but... it's bad idea because you will lose of picture on side, from left to right.

For movies, that's 2:35 or 2:40 then that's impossible to remove but some DVD players offers overscan, that is bad idea because you will loss of picture on side.

If 1:85 or 1:78 then there's perfect on 16:9 HDTV.
Actually, my HDTV is widescreen 16:9 and it does having a requirement meets because Star wars 3 has a widescreen 1:85 or something format. Jackass 360 wont do it but dvd burner and dvd player which I own do allow. and it doesn't loss a picture of each side.

Actually, my HDTV is widescreen 16:9 and it does having a requirement meets because Star wars 3 has a widescreen 1:85 or something format. Jackass 360 wont do it but dvd burner and dvd player which I own do allow. and it doesn't loss a picture of each side.

Star Wars: Episode III, the aspect ratio used is 2.35:1. So yes, you will see black bars. The aspect ratio best suited for 16:9 television sets are 1.78:1 and 1.85:1.

Most movies are in 2.35:1 so you can expect a lot of them to show black bars.

Attachments

• AspectRatio.jpg
    AspectRatio.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
about "Real-Time" 3 line smooth that any News and Sport some HDTV vs DVR vs Set-box vs computer

only HDTV with ASTC is very smoorth than all not smooth
I don't know CableCard slot HDTV, Will smooth?

Yes, my HDTV is Sony KDL-46V2500 and Samsung DVD Player DVD-1080P7 work CC for only 480i

if dvd player need 480i will work CC, another 480p or high will not work

Component Video does not work on my previous HDTV Westinghouse and recently brand new Philips HDTV :)

you said I am crazy, you are WRONG! I am truth i test my HDTV Sony 46V2500 and Samsung DVD Player 1080p7, I DID IT TEST,

NO 480p wont' work CC I did test it I test Samsung 1080p7 have two swtich 480i and 480p, I test 480i work CC, 480p not work CC

480i = ANALOG
480p to 1080p = Digital

CC work only for Analog on DVD player

you buy thme by yourself!

No, component is progressive scan, that's 480p.

I can't believe that you are really crazy.

CC isn't work on my HDTV via component.

You CAN'T change to 480i via PS3 with HDMI, only from 480p to 1080p.

CC can be carried through component cables as long it's in 480i.

Yes, component cables can carry 480i signals.

Thank you, but really you said DVD Player 480p work CC ?? I test Samsung DVD Player 1080p7 have two swtich "480i" and "480p" I test 480i work cc but 480p won't work CC, what your dvd player company and model?

Peter

Thank you, but really you said DVD Player 480p work CC ?? I test Samsung DVD Player 1080p7 have two swtich "480i" and "480p" I test 480i work cc but 480p won't work CC, what your dvd player company and model?

CC at 480p does NOT work with my DVD player. Only 480i works like you said.

I am sorry if I mislead you or my statement was not clear.

I have a three year old Samsung DVD player with component and DVI out. It was one of the first DVD player to offer DVI out at the time. I am at work so I don't know the model number.

Peter

you said I am crazy, you are WRONG! I am truth i test my HDTV Sony 46V2500 and Samsung DVD Player 1080p7, I DID IT TEST,

NO 480p wont' work CC I did test it I test Samsung 1080p7 have two swtich 480i and 480p, I test 480i work CC, 480p not work CC

480i = ANALOG
480p to 1080p = Digital

CC work only for Analog on DVD player

you buy thme by yourself!

Are you dumb? I said not ALL DVD players offers like that.

You don't own PS3 or Xbox 360, though... Both of systems aren't work via component cable for CC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back