First appointment

Today when one of my cats jumped onto the computer desk (I do not like it when the cats jump on the desk, they need to stay off that desk) I said "get down, get off" and Abel said, "wow, I heard you say that clearly"....:D

I can already speak some, but not as clearly as I would like to, so that was a big deal when he said he heard me clearly.

:rofl: Badass.

So when my son tells our country on CNN that he will own USA, everyone will understand him clearly. :devil:

:rofl:
I can see Marshall now! Using the darth vader voice "I will own this country and you will bow to me" !!!

Today I and Abel went to play poker at the bar...while waiting for the 2nd poker tournament to start, we were sitting in the restaurant/bar area and I heard music (there were also the football game on, on several various TVs with several speakers too) and before, I never was able to hear the music (in the bar) at all, even with CI, but today I heard music. I wasn't sure if I heard the music or if it was the TV...I asked Abel if the music was on in the bar...he said no. I was like hmm, then I listened for a couple more minutes and then I insisted that the music is playing. He said, nah. Then he listened for a few minutes and realized that I was right. He said they are not playing it very loud, and that it was very hard to hear over the game.

HA! I was right! :D

I got several CDs from the library - Melissa Etheridge's "Yes I am", Indigo Girls "All that we let in", and Suzanne Vega "Solitude Standing" been listening to them but they are okay. I think I like what Abel has...Evanscence and other CDs...

Figured out a way to use CI for you pokergame...
A long coil, a BTE placed strategically and you can at least listen in on the other players mumbling.....

Susan Vega.... that's been a while... Love that album...

Today I and Abel went to play poker at the bar...while waiting for the 2nd poker tournament to start, we were sitting in the restaurant/bar area and I heard music (there were also the football game on, on several various TVs with several speakers too) and before, I never was able to hear the music (in the bar) at all, even with CI, but today I heard music. I wasn't sure if I heard the music or if it was the TV...I asked Abel if the music was on in the bar...he said no. I was like hmm, then I listened for a couple more minutes and then I insisted that the music is playing. He said, nah. Then he listened for a few minutes and realized that I was right. He said they are not playing it very loud, and that it was very hard to hear over the game.

Way to go! Sounds like you are well on your way.

Been there and done that. Yes, I had heard things that my family didn't and they are all with excellent hearing (wife and two kids). It is funny about that aspect and I think it has to do with us with CIs are more sensitive to offbeat stuff whereas the hearing simply tune it out (unless it was a threatening sound :) ) Although, I tune things out too like the frig. I used to hear that before going into the kitchen but now I gotta be paying attention to it when I'm around it.

Cool news Lucia! I have said many times here that Lilly now hears beter then I do.

Awesome!

I hope one day I'll be able to listen to music without starting an awful ringing in my ears. I've always thought that if I'd been hearing, I'd be a Dead Kennedy fan.

Even though my HA is analog, I'm better at telling the difference between the clarinet and the bugle than my mother is. I had to listen to my sister practice on the clarient enough times. On the other hand, I can't hear the diff between organ music and certain kinds of singing.

Awesome!
I hope one day I'll be able to listen to music without starting an awful ringing in my ears. I've always thought that if I'd been hearing, I'd be a Dead Kennedy fan.

Yeah, I've always thought I'd be into punk/rock/goth/metal stuff...my dad played a LOT of rock when I was a child.

That's soo awesome!!!

A friend of mine was telling me about funny story. She was sitting at the table eating dinner....she asked one of her daughters (She have 2 girls) if it is the dryer is running? Her daughter said umm not sure. So mother kept listening carefully and good enough it was the dryer! It was in the basement and she is on 2nd floor. Both of her girls were AMAZED! She loves it!

So I hardly wait to hear something unusual or never heard before. It gonna be an awesome experince for me! :) Keep it up girl! I am sure you are doing soo well with CI so far! :thumb:

I got several CDs from the library - Melissa Etheridge's "Yes I am", Indigo Girls "All that we let in", and Suzanne Vega "Solitude Standing" been listening to them but they are okay. I think I like what Abel has...Evanscence and other CDs...

These stories are cool and all but I'd keep expectations and hopes low so we wouldn't feel disappointed the first few months.

The brain needs to get used to reading information from the CI and the audiologist needs time to match you and the CI.

Other than that, I'm trying to not get too excited about my experience, too :)

did you watch the video on my myspace? Survivor - eye of the tiger? are you able to follow it cuz there is lyric under the video

did you watch the video on my myspace? Survivor - eye of the tiger? are you able to follow it cuz there is lyric under the video

For some reason I cannot hear music on my PC even if I use the cord provided by Cochlear...and I do not have speakers. For the time being I am using my DVD player to play MP3s and CDs.

You mean Marshall's? I thought you decided against it for yourself or still chewing it over?

I'm tired of flip and flopping back and forth. I'd rather do it and never wonder "what if". If it works, wonderful! If not, that's OK, I tried.

I'm tired of flip and flopping back and forth. I'd rather do it and never wonder "what if". If it works, wonderful! If not, that's OK, I tried.

Glad to hear it. The "what ifs" in life is never fun revisiting. If nothing else, you should be able hear the environmental sounds...and that my friend is "priceless" all in of itself.

Tonight I and Abel went to play poker again, and I have realized one thing: music sounds way better coming out of the speakers (at the bar) than it does using the cord that Cochlear provided (for listening to music on TV or computer)...the music coming out of the speakers, the beats are less harsh and more obvious, I am able to hear the beats better, and I can also feel the vibration from the speakers too, which helps me a LOT. I am even able to tell if music is playing, even if it's not that loud and there is so much general noise in the bar/poker room. When I listen to music using the cord, it just sounds harsh and not as good, and it's harder to hear some of the beats, harder to follow along (I do not know the words yet, nothing, just beats).

I'd use speakers for my computer, but I don't have any. I am hoping to acquire some through my local freecycle group.

:D

Today when I rode the medicaid transportation to see my audiologist, I heard the van engine idling for the first time. I didn't hear that before. And then later after my appointment I was waiting for a elevator and heard the beep when the elevator came to my floor. I never heard that before. Awesome!

So, I got new maps today, 4 maps. Audiologist also put a new program on one of my maps for when I go to play poker. It's called BEAM, it should help filter out most of the noises in the bar. So with BEAM and with my sensitivity at 5, I will only hear the people at my table, and nothing behind me. Should help filter out more of those voices that aren't at the table (there are like 100 people in that poker room, very noisy). She says she only wants to start me off with just one map, and progress from there. I see her again in a month.

Back