First appointment

To me it sounds as if you're enjoying your CI.. !!

You sound like a kid with a new toy! :) I still have those moments sometimes when I realise I can hear something I never noticed before.

Another CI moment!

Tonight when I and Abel were at Walmart, I kept hearing loud voices, looked around, couldn't find the source of where the voices were coming from, and I realized it was the announcements over loudspeakers! I asked Abel if it was, and I was right! I never really realized I heard this before, til now! I'm starting to know the difference between water running/toilet flushing, voices, and music.

Also, I heard my fiance Abel sneeze. That was loud.

I can't wait til I get a new map on Dec 8th (soonest I could get in)...the latest map I got kind of suck, not that much different from my old one, and I'm needing a louder map for music and stuff. I guess I was afraid to have it too loud, but maybe this time I should have a map that I'm completely comfortable with (to go back to later if need be) and then 3 louder maps that's a little more louder than what the audie usually sets it at. I'm gonna beg for a map just for music. I do not have speakers for my pc and was unable to get subwoofers that I thought I would be getting. So, for now I've been using the MP3 feature on my dvd player to play CDs, and one of the speakers on my TV is busted, so I'm not hearing music that well. I could use the audio cord provided by Cochlear but I don't like how it sounds through the cord. I am also wanting to get a MP3 player, hopefully the new Ipod, to take with me everywhere. I have tons of MP3 songs on my pc, that I have burned to CDs.

beginsarcasmmode.gif

STOP enjoying your CI...

endsarcasmmode.gif

Greate you're enjoying it so much..
Keep us informed.

Great Lucia ask your audie to be tested in sound booth to see where you are at on audiogram with your current maps and then again with new maps.

Let me know where you are on audiogram with ci.

If your audiogram shows that your level is in the ling sound area (the area that is shaped like a banana) or right on top of the banana then that's good. that's should be around 20 db and above.

example: Understanding Your Audiogram
(yellow area is "banana shaped" :D at right top end of banana is where the birds sound are heard. above "TH")

my goal is to bump up my hearing up into 10 to 25 range since right now mine is at 30 to 40 although one of my previous mappings let me hear the bird but I don't now.. I think because my level in the high freq area was lower now than before but that's okay since I am not rushing but when I eventually get into 10 to 25 db range, I should be able to hear birds and more soft sounds.

So keep enjoying hearing all the sound (bad or good :D )

Boult,

I can hear birds at the 30-40db range that I am at now. Are you talking about birds that are far away? Or perhaps you are talking about clarity of birdsong? I'm a bit surprised that you say you don't hear them.

:h5: :cheers: Congrats! And just think, your hearing will improve as your brain adjusts. This means you will hear more as you go!

I currently hear at 20-30 dB across all frequencies with each of my CIs. Even though my first CI has been activated for 2 years as of January, I'm still experiencing noticeable improvement in my hearing. I know CI users who have had their implants for 3 years or more who continue to notice continued improvement in their hearing.

Boult,

I can hear birds at the 30-40db range that I am at now. Are you talking about birds that are far away? Or perhaps you are talking about clarity of birdsong? I'm a bit surprised that you say you don't hear them.
only if they are louder but when they are chirping at 0-10db in 4000 to 8000hz nope

Hands & Voices :: CO Resource Guide

I heard them in first year of my CI then 2nd year kinda weak but I was in 40 to 50 now I have to be outside and closer to them when I am at 30 to 40db.

I no longer hear them from inside like I did when I could in first year.

However, check this flash based audiogram
Phonak hearing systems - Audiogram
first calibrate your speaker to comfortable level then continue then click "sound examples then hover your mouse over "bird" you will see a shaded area of where bird sound would be.

Right now winter is here and not much birds here.

only if they are louder but when they are chirping at 0-10db in 4000 to 8000hz nope

I heard them in first year of my CI then 2nd year kinda weak but I was in 40 to 50 now I have to be outside and closer to them when I am at 30 to 40db.

I no longer hear them from inside like I did when I could in first year.

Ummm...why is that? Is there something going on with your hearing or with the CI?

Like Hear Again, I know I'm hearing better now than early on.

:iough: Um, Boult, Thank you for posting that link. I checked it out and took the survey. It said The test strongly suggests that i have a hearing loss. Also when I was listening to the audi samples, I had the volume about 1/3 up. I cannot hear the 125 htz at all, or the 250 htz. I turned the volume all the way up on my computer. I still cannot hear the 125 htz, and I can barely hear the 250 htz.

Hmm, it looks like I may need to get this checked in the future, I knew I had a very slight hearing loss. I didnt think it was as bad as the test may indicate.

I had my CI mapped today and also saw my surgeon for the last time. When we were setting my Cs, I decided not to just set it at the level I am comfortable with, rather, I decided to go a little beyond that to what I can tolerate. (next mapping won't be for 3 months so I needed this map to last me that long) Audiologist said I am progressing pretty well and I took a hearing test in the booth to see how well I am hearing with the CI.

The results:

Hertz:----250-----500-----1000-----2000-----3000-----4000
decibel:--35d-----35d------35d------30d------35d------40d

My audie said this is VERY good, she was pleasantly surprised at the results!

And then we did I think speech discrimination, and we did the lipreading part with certain vocal sounds, and I did very well, I think I got all of them right. She gave me a piece of paper with different sounds written on it and I was to point to the sound that I think she made. And then we did the speech discrimination without lipreading and I think out of 10 or so I got 3 right. She was very surprised, said this is very good for me. I am starting to really hear the different between certain vocal sounds but haven't committed them to memory yet, need more practice! I brought up the subject of speech therapy and she said that it would be a good idea now that I'm ready for it, so now I am waiting on an email from her for an appointment for speech therapy at a hospital.

I'm extremely pleased with my progress so far!:dance:

That's cool, Lucia. Let me know when you hear the swish of your dog's tail! Lol....

Lucia,

It sounds like you're doing very, very well! Congratulations! Your audiogram looks great!

I did exactly the same thing you did (still do) in setting my C levels a little higher than what is comfortable. I like having a little extra volume if needed and I find that slightly higher C levels make sounds crisper and clearer.

Keep up the good work Lucia! You *should* be proud of the progress you've made! :)

sr171soars,

I know exactly what you mean about hearing the "swish" of a dog's tail. My guide dog (a yellow lab) is always wagging her tail and I constantly hear it brushing against my leg as we walk. LOL!

Awesome, Lucia! It sounds as if you've made a great deal of progress! :) It's fun to read about your progress.

Also, I had another CI moment tonight at Walmart! When the cashier was scanning all the stuff I bought, I heard a beep when each item was scanned! I never heard that before. :D

Back