First appointment

Hi everybody, I am home!

The activation went very well. We did a quick mapping of the electrodes and set my comfort levels. I could hear my audiologist's voice (female) but have a harder time hearing Abel's voice (his voice is soft) and can't really hear other men's voices. I heard the automatic door opening and closing when I left the building, the elevator doors, some people's (mostly women) voices, I heard a lady walking in her high heels, I heard the wind, van door opening and closing, the wheelchair lift, the wheelchair (of someone else's) being secured, I heard the smacks when Abel was signing, and a lot of other things. I can hear myself typing right now and I can kind of hear my own voice too. When I left the office my volume was at 4 and on P1...now I am at 7 and still P1. I was given 4 maps, each one louder than the last.

I still cannot hear cars/vehicles yet and other things. That will come with time, I'm sure.

I was given 2 processors...I guess I had misunderstood my audiologist at my last appointment and thought I was only getting one. I am so pleased that I have a back-up processor!

I go back in 2 weeks to see my doctor and in a month for another mapping, however, my audiologist said that if I am tolerating the sounds very well and want them tweaked again I could call and come in sooner than that! :)

That is great you heard so much!! I didn't think people hear that much on their first activation. Thanks for sharing! Good luck with everything.

I heard the toilet flush for the first time just now...I couldn't hear that earlier today.

That was one of the sounds that drove me crazy at first. Sooooo LOUD!!!! It drills into one's head.

Congratulations for a great start! I noticed that your CI is black. Is the other black as well?

That was one of the sounds that drove me crazy at first. Sooooo LOUD!!!! It drills into one's head.

Congratulations for a great start! I noticed that your CI is black. Is the other black as well?

Thanks! Yes, both processors and both coils are black. :)

yeah like Nigaria Falls eh

Wow .. Congratulations!!! To hear some sounds for the first time must be very thrilled. I don't have CI but in the past with digitial hearing aids, it was VERY annoying to hear peed myself. It was so embrassment. Hmmm perhaps that's why I stopped wearing hearing aids years ago ...ha ha ... I hate it. Have you heard it yet?

Last edited:
it was VERY annoying to hear peed myself. It was so embrassment. Hmmm perhaps that's why I stopped wearing hearing aids years ago ...ha ha ... I hate it. Have you heard it yet?

LOL sunshine. be honest, I heard myself peeing. ;)

Yeah. Someone suggested that I start practicing words and listening to the TV and stuff like that now. I did some listening to the TV with the cord today.

Another suggestion...get those books on tape or CD and listen to them. The speakers are typically good ones with clear enunciation.

Keep on trucking...

Yeah. Someone suggested that I start practicing words and listening to the TV and stuff like that now. I did some listening to the TV with the cord today.
Interested. I was told dont use the cord bec it is too early for me to use it.

Wonderful .. that could be good lesson how to listen.

When I was grew up, my mother used to write down lyric when she listened to some songs that I would like to know. Then she pinned point at the same time when it was sang. Perhaps that's another way to practice knowing how to follow word by word at the same time knowing what it sounds like. I feel it's very good practice I thanked my mother for helping me alot.

I'm back home from holidays now and have caught up with your adventures to this point in time. I'm glad the surgery went okay and that switch on has been a good start. Your freedom is identical to mine - I chose a black processor and coil as well. Goes with anything!

Had a giggle at the brown poop - girl you have a wicked sense of humour.

Back