Father Held Daughter in Cellar for 24 Years

If Austria's legal limit is 15 years, then how can they ignore it? They have to follow their own laws.

If with murder then 25 years to life sentence.
But the limit for rape is 7 years? That's outrageous. :mad:

After 7 years they get out of prison and rape some more.

Do you mean all rapists?
All the rapists that are let out of prison in seven years or less.

What's to stop them? Do they have to register as sex offenders? Do they check in with parole officers? Or are they just free to do whatever they want, like Fritzi did?

Austrian man threatened to gas family

An Austrian man who held his daughter captive for 24 years and fathered her seven children repeatedly warned his captives they would be gassed if they tried to overpower him, a spokesman for investigators says.

Separately, authorities said Josef Fritzl forced his captive daughter to write a letter last year indicating he may have been planning to release her from the windowless dungeon where she lived with three of their children.

Police Colonel Franz Polzer said Elisabeth Fritzl wrote to her family, who believed she had fled to a cult, that she wants to come home but "it's not possible yet".

DNA testing on the letter proved that 42-year-old Elisabeth had written the letter, but Polzer said she was forced by her father to do so.

"He may have had plans to end the captivity at some point," Polzer told The Associated Press. "It just shows how perfectly he planned everything."

Fritzl's elaborate crime came to the attention of authorities on April 19 when one of Elisabeth's daughters, 19-year-old Kerstin, was admitted to a hospital suffering from an illness linked to an unidentified infection.

Baffled doctors then appealed on TV for Kerstin's mother to come forward because they needed information from her about her daughter's medical history. Fritzl then accompanied Elisabeth to the hospital, and her story came to light.

"It shows that he must have had a spark of humanity," Polzer said.

Meanwhile, Federal Bureau of Investigations spokesman Helmut Greiner said investigators were checking to verify whether Fritzl had indeed set up a mechanism that could send gas into the dingy, windowless enclosure as he had claimed during initial police questioning.

Experts are also checking another Fritzl claim that the reinforced door leading to the enclosure had a timer that enabled it to open automatically or be easily opened from the inside if he was gone for an unusually long period of time, said Greiner.

A man claiming to be a former tenant of Fritzl's, meanwhile, said he heard occasional suspicious noises from the area of confinement during his 12 years of residency starting in 1995.

Alfred Dubanovsky told the AP that he occasionally heard "knocking, banging" and what sounded like objects being dropped while living in a ground floor apartment of the building owned by Josef Fritzl and above the basement dungeon.

He told the AP that he asked Fritzl whether the noise came from the basement gas heater and Fritzl said "yes".

On another occasion, Fritzl bragged: "This house is going to make history one day," Dubanovsky said.

Fritzl told all residents of the apartment house that the basement was off limits and that they weren't allowed to take photos in the area, he said, adding that Fritzl threatened to evict those who broke that verbal agreement.

Fritzl once asked him whether he wanted to change his ground-floor flat for a bigger one on the upper floor but he declined, Dubanovsky said.

Days before Elisabeth told police of her 24 years in captivity, law enforcement officials had become suspicious and started investigating Fritzl, according to a police statement.

It said police decided to compare DNA samples of the hospitalised Kerstin and of Fritzl, along with family members living with him in late April, about 10 days before revealing the ordeal to the public. Fritzl and Elisabeth were detained on April 26 near the hospital where Kerstin was being treated and Elisabeth then told her story to interrogators.

The letter is one part of evidence that authorities are using to piece together Josef Fritzl's double life.

One of the children she bore him died as an infant, and Fritzl has confessed to tossing the corpse into a furnace. He managed to smuggle the other three out to be raised by him and his wife, who was led to believe Elisabeth had given them up.

Police in Upper Austria are also examining whether Fritzl was also responsible for an unsolved murder in the nearby lakeside village of Mondsee two decades ago, where his wife owned an inn and camping ground.

The bound body of Martina Posch was found on a shore of the Upper Austrian lake of Mondsee on November 12, 1986. The wife of the incest suspect owned part of an inn and camping ground on the other side of the lake at that time and police are investigating a possible link because Fritzl could have been in the area at the "time and place" of the killing.

Fritzl faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted on rape charges. However, prosecutors say they are investigating whether he can be charged with "murder through failure to act" in connection with the infant's death. That is punishable by up to 20 years in prison.

Good grief! That man is absolutely a real sicko. I am soo glad that he is caught before he could even think about gassing them. He is a very very nasty and cruel man. It make me shudder to see his evil face and that video of him holidaying in Thailand. He should be execute.

No, it do not mention about hearing impairment but something do with kidney and lack of breath... She lied on the coma... serious illness, the TV news says. It still is inofficial about her health issue because the doctors refuse to say anything yet until they know more. We will update about her health issues thru daily TV.

Thanks for keeping us updated from your end. I am really curious if her illness is caused from a genetic defect from the incest.

Dungeon children still suffering

The three children who were raised in Josef Fritzl's dungeon are all suffering medical problems associated with their unnatural environment.

Kerstin, 19, remains in an induced coma and is undergoing dialysis for a kidney disorder.

She has also lost all her teeth.

Stefan, 18, does not walk fully upright due to growing up in the cellar with a roof height of just 1.68m and doctors fear he has suffered permanent sight and hearing damage.

And youngest son Felix, 5, tends to crawl around the floor and makes animalistic noises to express his mood.

He and his brother are said to prefer to speak to each other in a tongue of their own invention, which they find easier to speak than German. The "dungeon language" is said to contain grunts and cooing sounds.

Felix made excited squeaking noises when he first saw the sun, trying to look at it through his fingers.

And when he first saw the moon, he reportedly asked doctors: "Is God up there?".

Meanwhile, mother Elisabeth reportedly appears decades older than her 42 years after spending 24 years at the mercy of her abusive father.

All four captives are suffering from vitamin D deficiencies, anemia and depleted immune systems.

Elisabeth's father Josef Fritzl kept locked in a secret dungeon, fathering seven children with her after repeated rapes.

The three other children were raised "upstairs" in relatively normal circumstances by Fritzl and his wife Rosemarie, after the now 73-year-old told them they were abandoned by Elisabeth on their doorstep.

Fritzl was reportedly strict with his upstairs children — all the while masquerading them as grandchildren — but attended sport events and parent-teacher days like a normal guardian.

The seventh child he fathered with Elisabeth died shortly after birth, and was allegedly thrown into the furnace by Fritzl.

Rosemarie and the upstairs children were apparently unaware of Fritzl's second family downstairs in the cellar the electrical engineer reportedly built on the pretence of being a bomb shelter.

During a cautious family reunion under the supervision of Austrian psychiatrists, the three generations of family were reportedly friendly and warm to each other.

I haven't heard about her older sick daughter having an hearing impairment but I found this article stating her son have hearing damage. I am curious that hearing damage could mean deaf? I feel sorry for Kerstin and I do hope she will get better soon. It is soo sad.

Indeed Reba........this is like a cross between Flowers in the Attic and Silence of the Lambs. Fritzel reminds me of Buffallo Bill from the movie.
It's so fucking OBVIOUS that Frizel is a profound psychopath. I mean......most pyschopaths don't rape their relatives.
The two boys almost sound like.....does anyone remember Genie? Hey.....I wonder if they could get him on severe child abuse? I really really hope that they put this fucker behind bars for the rest of his LIFE. I so agree.....I think that they should put HIM in a cellar for the rest of his life.
I mean its SO clear that he's VERY dangerous. Elisabeth has been exposed to his abuse since she was 11. Long enough for her to think it was "normal" (and yes, kids who experiance abuse can come to see it as "normal) Yet she is TERRIFIED of her "father"..................

Indeed Reba........this is like a cross between Flowers in the Attic and Silence of the Lambs. Fritzel reminds me of Buffallo Bill from the movie.
It's so fucking OBVIOUS that Frizel is a profound psychopath. I mean......most pyschopaths don't rape their relatives.
The two boys almost sound like.....does anyone remember Genie? Hey.....I wonder if they could get him on severe child abuse? I really really hope that they put this fucker behind bars for the rest of his LIFE. I so agree.....I think that they should put HIM in a cellar for the rest of his life.
I mean its SO clear that he's VERY dangerous. Elisabeth has been exposed to his abuse since she was 11. Long enough for her to think it was "normal" (and yes, kids who experiance abuse can come to see it as "normal) Yet she is TERRIFIED of her "father"..................

Oh man..I forgot all about the story "Flowers in the Attic"..I thought something familiar hit me when I read the story. That was it...the book.

This man needs to be thrown in an alligator pit.

Even the fires of Hell won't be hot enough for the likes of him!

I get the same mentally ill feeling from looking at his eyes, and his expression in the photos published. I also get a decided aura of superiority from him. He is indeed psychopathic and sociopathic. That is what has allowed him to get away with his crimes for so long. Sociopaths are extremely maniulative and charming. They can convince you that the sun is shining when it is pouring down rain. And you are correct. His mental illness is such that he doesn't see that he has done anything wrong. He firmly believes that his actions are justified, and that the rest of society is wrong in judging him.

I knew someone like this. Thankfully, they are dead now.

Oh man..I forgot all about the story "Flowers in the Attic"..I thought something familiar hit me when I read the story. That was it...the book.

This man needs to be thrown in an alligator pit.

:gpost: I had the same eerie, sick feeling.

My Mother is facinated by this story, but I refuse to read or listen to any details of it. It's too disturbing for me.

I get the same mentally ill feeling from looking at his eyes, and his expression in the photos published. I also get a decided aura of superiority from him. He is indeed psychopathic and sociopathic. That is what has allowed him to get away with his crimes for so long. Sociopaths are extremely maniulative and charming. They can convince you that the sun is shining when it is pouring down rain. And you are correct. His mental illness is such that he doesn't see that he has done anything wrong. He firmly believes that his actions are justified, and that the rest of society is wrong in judging him.

Indeed, jillo. I mean just LOOKING at him, you get a creepy feeling. And the thing is, he is a super sociopath. He's not your average sociopath. It's just really amazing how extreme his sociopathy is. I think that's why people are so fasinated by this case. He is SO majorly messed up that even if he was put in a jail with other sociopaths, they would kill him.

Indeed, jillo. I mean just LOOKING at him, you get a creepy feeling. And the thing is, he is a super sociopath. He's not your average sociopath. It's just really amazing how extreme his sociopathy is. I think that's why people are so fasinated by this case. He is SO majorly messed up that even if he was put in a jail with other sociopaths, they would kill him.

Oh I agree. He's a rather extreme example. I've met other sociopaths and most aren't capable of harming others to the degree this man has inflicted on his family. Anyone who'd burn the corpses of their own kids like it was a piece of trash is sick, sick, SICK. It was as if family ties meant nothing to him.

I

Well most sociopaths are rather......benign. And even the super sociopaths like the ones who are serial killers or Jeffery Dahmers or Charles Mansons would never do something like that to their OWN family. Family seems to be sacred to them. I remember reading something by one of those trucker serial killers, and when he was found out, he was all "oh no! My family's going to be so upset!"
I honestly think that this....thing (b/c he's NOT human) may have been severely abused or something. Like he had sociopathic tendancies, but they were made worse by some sort of severe trauma.

Oh I agree. He's a rather extreme example. I've met other sociopaths and most aren't capable of harming others to the degree this man has inflicted on his family. Anyone who'd burn the corpses of their own kids like it was a piece of trash is sick, sick, SICK. It was as if family ties meant nothing to him.

I

Sociopathy does run on a scale. The most benign will engage in minor criminal activity. These are ususally diagnosed and Anti-social Personality Disorder. Those that don't engage in criminal activity, but continue int he manipulative behaviors in their social relationships and with family are usually diagnosed as Borderline Personality Disorder. Then there are those that cross the line as this man has done, and they are usually have a dual diagnosis. Likely Anti-social Personality Disorder cormorbid with an unspecified psychosis.

Well most sociopaths are rather......benign. And even the super sociopaths like the ones who are serial killers or Jeffery Dahmers or Charles Mansons would never do something like that to their OWN family. Family seems to be sacred to them. I remember reading something by one of those trucker serial killers, and when he was found out, he was all "oh no! My family's going to be so upset!"
I honestly think that this....thing (b/c he's NOT human) may have been severely abused or something. Like he had sociopathic tendancies, but they were made worse by some sort of severe trauma.

Sociopaths are not born....they are made.

I didn't know that the "benign" sociopaths (the ones who just have plms with relationships etc) were usually dx with borderline personality disorder. That's interesting. And yes, this one sounds like he's got sociopathy with an unspecififed psycosis.

I didn't know that the "benign" sociopaths (the ones who just have plms with relationships etc) were usually dx with borderline personality disorder. That's interesting. And yes, this one sounds like he's got sociopathy with an unspecififed psycosis.

BPD is usually the primary dx. Very difficult to treat, as well, because they truly believe that they are right and everyone else in the world is wrong. They are great at playing the victim. Many demonstrate all of the symptomology, as well, but never receive a dx or tx because they don't believe there is anything wrong with them or their behavior. According to them, everyone else needs tx.

Back