Don't tell me that deaf people are poor tippers, please....

Don't you know that Denny's restaurants and others offer discount coupons occasionally? So low-income deafies take advantage of that because they can afford it. I know they should be expected to pay a tip but what if they don't have money to pay a tip?
what if? well let's see... manager may chase you down and force you to pay tip. or you'll be banned from that place. or waitress will remember you and there's no guarantee that next time your food may not have a questionable mass inside.

For example, I have $17 with me and I have a coupon that offers two meals for one price, $15 plus taxes, should I take advantage of it or not?
yes please do take advantage of that wonderful coupon... along with wonderful tip. fair enough?

Fact: It's not illegal to pay no tip.
So? Do you have to have a law force you to do the right thing?

Alot of deaf people live on government money so they are on a tight budget. They pay for the orders and don't want to pay tips. That's their choice. I bet that low-income senior citizens do the same.
Low-income people on a tight budget don't go out to eat. If they do, they usually pick an all-you-can-eat self-serve buffet.

What's more, the rich employers make up the difference as required by law.
For one thing, the employers aren't all rich.

For another, in the places where that's required (which isn't every place), it only brings it up to minimum wage.

The wait staff is on just as tight a budget as their low-income customers.

You made me laugh but as you know, there's nothing we can do about it. They don't give a fuck about what you, me and others say. I know alot of deafies who live on SSI so what can I say to them about that? NOTHING! Just keep my mouth shut as long as they don't ask me to lend them some money.

ya'all should be arrested for theft of service.

They can eat out when they afford it without paying tips. That's legal.
If they can't afford to eat out without leaving a decent tip, then they can't afford to eat out.

Stay home or share pot luck with friends. That's legal.

Don't you know that Denny's restaurants and others offer discount coupons occasionally? So low-income deafies take advantage of that because they can afford it. I know they should be expected to pay a tip but what if they don't have money to pay a tip? For example, I have $17 with me and I have a coupon that offers two meals for one price, $15 plus taxes, should I take advantage of it or not?
Check under your sofa cushions, cash in the soda cans, and scrape up enough change for a tip. Have you ever noticed that coupons state "tips and gratuities not included"?

In fact, even when we get a 2-for-1 deal, or even a freebie, we base our tip on the full original price.

Bottom line is...treat others like you want to be treated.

As for those of you who are on SSI...I am deaf, and although I qualify to receive SSI, I chose to work instead....and I am working hard to pay for your SSI, and the least I expect is that you all treat the rest of us taxpayers fairly.

Rule #110 - Rules of Civility
Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience.

Fact: It's not illegal to pay no tip.

What's more, the rich employers make up the difference as required by law.

I believe, it is true that it is not illegal to not pay a tip. Although, I would think an included gratuity may be an issue.

However, I don't believe employers make up for anything in the U.S. Do you have a reference to the actual law? I would like a link.

In addition to tipped employees being exempt from minimum wage, guess who else is?

Employees with disabilities

Under the FLSA, any employer can pay sub-minimum wage to any worker with a physical or mental disability that affects the amount and/or quality of their work. Employers must apply for a certificate from the Department of Labor allowing them to hire disabled workers at sub-minimum wage rates. This program is designed to help disabled workers get jobs by making hiring them more attractive to potential employers.

Minimum Wage Exemptions under the Fair Labor Standards Act

I believe, it is true that it is not illegal to not pay a tip. Although, I would think an included gratuity may be an issue.

included gratuity is not really an issue on most parts because the only place that does that is the expensive one... the one with typical tab of $100 or more.

included gratuity is not really an issue on most parts because the only place that does that is the expensive one... the one with typical tab of $100 or more.

Yes, but it is in writing and stated on the menu as well.

Here, in CA, if there is a group of 8 diners or more, the inclusion of gratuity is legal and they do it. I like that.....

In addition to tipped employees being exempt from minimum wage, guess who else is?

Employees with disabilities

Under the FLSA, any employer can pay sub-minimum wage to any worker with a physical or mental disability that affects the amount and/or quality of their work. Employers must apply for a certificate from the Department of Labor allowing them to hire disabled workers at sub-minimum wage rates. This program is designed to help disabled workers get jobs by making hiring them more attractive to potential employers.

Minimum Wage Exemptions under the Fair Labor Standards Act

This is true, but under section 9 there seems to be a time limit for it:

Section 9. For any occupation within the scope of the minimum fair wage law, the commissioner may cause to be issued to an employer of any learner, or of an employee under an approved apprentice training program, or of an employee whose earning capacity is impaired by age or physical or mental deficiency or injury, or of an employee who is certified by the secretary of health and human services or his designee as a handicapped person, a special certificate authorizing employment at such wages, less than the established minimum fair wage rates, and for such period of time, as shall be fixed by the commissioner and stated in the certificate.

Note: this is from Mass law 151. Your state many be different.

Around here, most restaurants, not just expensive ones, include the gratuity for six or more diners per table.

Back