Don't tell me that deaf people are poor tippers, please....

Less than $3/hr for a server in some states, I am shocked! No wonder tipping is such a huge issue. Here, the lowest you can pay wait staff is $9.05 if they serve liquor(standard minimum for most employees is $9.40 - currently one of the lowest in Canada). And, yes, tipping is done more often than not but it is done as a direct reflection of the service, not as a completely essential need to bring the wait staffs wages up to a level in which they can survive. If someone is only making $3 an hour, I don't see it has a 'tipping' issue but a labour standards and management issue.

Around here, most restaurants, not just expensive ones, include the gratuity for six or more diners per table.

yes but the point is - "included gratuity" is not really a big issue as stated in VG's post since most people don't eat in a group of 6+

Less than $3/hr for a server in some states, I am shocked! No wonder tipping is such a huge issue. Here, the lowest you can pay wait staff is $9.05 if they serve liquor(standard minimum for most employees is $9.40 - currently one of the lowest in Canada). And, yes, tipping is done more often than not but it is done as a direct reflection of the service, not as a completely essential need to bring the wait staffs wages up to a level in which they can survive. If someone is only making $3 an hour, I don't see it has a 'tipping' issue but a labour standards and management issue.

welcome to America :aw:

yes but the point is - "included gratuity" is not really a big issue as stated in VG's post since most people don't eat in a group of 6+
Most people don't? :dunno:

If TCS and I go out to eat with our daughter, SIL, and two grandsons, that's six people. If we go out with just two other couples, that's six people. It's not that big of a group.

Either way, I don't think it's a big issue either. Usually when it's included, it's for 15%. If that's all they want, they could get be undercutting themselves because we would have paid 20%. In reality, when we get a bill with the 15% included, we usually add on a few more dollars anyway.

Don't you know that Denny's restaurants and others offer discount coupons occasionally? So low-income deafies take advantage of that because they can afford it. I know they should be expected to pay a tip but what if they don't have money to pay a tip? For example, I have $17 with me and I have a coupon that offers two meals for one price, $15 plus taxes, should I take advantage of it or not?

If they don't have money to tip they should not go. Simple.

Most people don't? :dunno:

If TCS and I go out to eat with our daughter, SIL, and two grandsons, that's six people. If we go out with just two other couples, that's six people. It's not that big of a group.

Either way, I don't think it's a big issue either. Usually when it's included, it's for 15%. If that's all they want, they could get be undercutting themselves because we would have paid 20%. In reality, when we get a bill with the 15% included, we usually add on a few more dollars anyway.

yea especially in this thread about deaf people and CrazyPaul's group.

In fact, even when we get a 2-for-1 deal, or even a freebie, we base our tip on the full original price.

Alot of people forget to do this.

Also, Sometimes I dine alone after a round of golf.....If I take up a whole table I will double my tip because I am taking up a table that should have more people.

Also if I am camping at a table....(for a football game and such) I multiply the tip by the number of hours I sat at the table.

Around here, most restaurants, not just expensive ones, include the gratuity for six or more diners per table.

I have noticed that it is 8 people in most areas.....but when you get to tourist type areas it goes down to 6 people.

I went out for dinner with my girlfriend the other day. The bill was about $25. Waitress was quick with food and service, but she forgot to give me water when I asked for it. I did not get water until I was almost done with my meal.

For that, I left a $1 tip. I wasn't happy about being forgotten--especially with water thing. My girlfriend gave me a big lecture about leaving poor tip and that being late with water is not a good reason to leave a poor tip.

She is trying very hard to learn about Deaf Culture so she asked me if it's something that Deaf people do---leave poor tips??? I told her I did not know. I cannot really speak for every one.

My girlfriend reminded me that waitress often has to wait 7 or 8 tables. She told me to remember to help waitresses because they get paid below minimum wages. Still, I had "bruised ego" from not getting water. Go figure.

Your girlfriend was right. You are damn poor tippers. $1, I dont believe that. Do you believe that waitress can memory all customer's order like 8 tables x 1-4 customers = 8 to 32 customers each hour? Not each waitress are good memory. Why you don't works as waitress to see yourself.

Even waitress did bad job to me and I still give a 15% of tip to them.

Now you made Deaf looks bad like us. Thanks a lot.

I have noticed that it is 8 people in most areas.....but when you get to tourist type areas it goes down to 6 people.
The main industry of Charleston is tourism. We also have an additional "hospitality tax" for that reason.

The issue has nothing to do with how often it occurs, it has to do with whether it is legal to not pay it. When you have included gratuity it is in writing and not suggested. In those cases, I don't think you can legally not pay it. So, it may, in fact, be illegal not to leave a gratuity.

The issue has nothing to do with how often it occurs, it has to do with whether it is legal to not pay it. When you have included gratuity it is in writing and not suggested. In those cases, I don't think you can legally not pay it. So, it may, in fact, be illegal not to leave a gratuity.
You may be right. Even though it's referred to as a tip or gratuity included, I think on the bill itself it's listed as "service charge" or something similar. That would make it part of the actual bill.

I'll have to pay more attention to the wording next time. :)

The main industry of Charleston is tourism. We also have an additional "hospitality tax" for that reason.

Yes, that is what I was getting at. :) Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head are like that too.

See post #92 above.
Are you blind? One of your links states the same thing. Minimum Wage Exemptions under the Fair Labor Standards Act

Tipped employees
Any worker who earns regular tips (specified as earning at least $30 in tips a month by the FLSA) is eligible for a special minimum wage rate. Employers are permitted to pay tipped employees an hourly cash wage of as little as $2.13/hr- however, if this wage and the tips earned during that hour do not add up to at least the applicable minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference in cash. Thus, tipped employees are guaranteed to earn at least minimum wage, and can earn more then minimum wage in tips.

Are you blind? One of your links states the same thing. Minimum Wage Exemptions under the Fair Labor Standards Act

Tipped employees
Any worker who earns regular tips (specified as earning at least $30 in tips a month by the FLSA) is eligible for a special minimum wage rate. Employers are permitted to pay tipped employees an hourly cash wage of as little as $2.13/hr- however, if this wage and the tips earned during that hour do not add up to at least the applicable minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference in cash. Thus, tipped employees are guaranteed to earn at least minimum wage, and can earn more then minimum wage in tips.

Which is why Reba started the post with "Ah, found it"

Facepalm

Back