Don't tell me that deaf people are poor tippers, please....

No, the payment is not the issue. I think it is impolite to argue or complain to someone, about HOW MUCH to pay the wait staff, who has just bought you dinner.

then you better make sure you tip them properly even if service was terrible. just put in 10% for that and above that... it's up to you.

IMO - I think people don't get to complain about it being impolite to getting scorned about it when they don't tip properly. Whenever I see my friends under-tipping, I point it out and wait for them to put in correct amount because it's not right. I consider under-tipping as theft of service.

Usually in bars rather than restaurants...... They will ring a bell after a good tip. My fave pizza place and burger joint does it too.

I wonder if the places I've gone to did this.

At casual diners/restaurants, often cash tips are just placed on the table before getting up to leave. In that case it is easy to see the tip.
You can still fold the bills and stick them under the edge of a plate. It doesn't have to be in the wide open. :)

Usually in bars rather than restaurants...... They will ring a bell after a good tip. My fave pizza place and burger joint does it too.
Thank you for explaining. I'd never heard of that before. :)

So, if it's a bad tip, what do they do? (I'm almost afraid to ask. :giggle:)

Thank you for explaining. I'd never heard of that before. :)

So, if it's a bad tip, what do they do? (I'm almost afraid to ask. :giggle:)

:lol: No idea, maybe a nails on a chalkboard or something.

Ringing of the bells? I remember seeing or reading about that. Now, I wonder, suppose you have customers who can't hear and tip badly?

Ah ok. For the most part, I agree. However, if we had very different opinions on the service (as in Derek's case), I would say something or offer to cover the tip myself - but this would only be the case if I was dining with someone I knew very well.

I had a woman friend who did not believe in tipping at all. When we went out for dinner we would split the bill and I payed the tip, but got fed up with it and had to stop having dinner with her.

I understand how tipping works and it is extremely rare I would not tip at all(I would have be totally offended), people make their living off of it.

You also have to understand that your tip doesn't go to one person. It goes to everyone on the shift.

tWhenever I see my friends under-tipping, I point it out and wait for them to put in correct amount because it's not right. I consider under-tipping as theft of service.

How's that working out for you?

I don't agree with alot of your thoughts on dating but I agree with the above comment 100%. And it works both ways. I tend to over tip....usually WAY over tip because I like to see people smile. I have had people I was with comment on the tips at times. I am pretty blunt about this......"If I am paying, mind your own business."

I agree.

Right, TXgolfer,"mind your own business." Tipping isn't a requirement. It's a way to appreciate the good services provided to you as well as good etiquette. I expect good services. No reason to expect otherwise.

I had a woman friend who did not believe in tipping at all.
yea I had a couple of friends who don't tip at all because it was a foreign concept to them. Not surprising since tipping is not customary in many other countries. I had to explain that we have to tip in America and they were just :ugh:

You also have to understand that your tip doesn't go to one person. It goes to everyone on the shift.
that's true. some places don't do that. I have a mixed feeling about this "sharing tips with everybody" but most of time - I think that's unfair. It should be reward-based for a specific person but they share tips with everybody because it eliminates animosity and competition between each other.

oh well.....

Right, VG,"mind your own business." Tipping isn't a requirement. It's a way to appreciate the good services provided to you as well as good etiquette. I expect good services. No reason to expect otherwise.

sounds like you're a toll evader.

cops-police-arrest-siren.gif

Keep it up then...

yup. if they don't like it, they can request for a separate check.

but in group gathering at restaurant, everybody's gotta pay their fair share of tips because most of time, the service was excellent. our server was very patient with us. half of time, they throw in freebies.

sometimes there is couple of persons under-tipping it and that's a :nono: to me. most of time - they just didn't realize it and that's ok but it becomes a problem for me if one was being stingy and not coughing up extra buck or two. If it happens again, that person will simply not be included in our group gathering because such attitude is a killjoy.

According to the video, waiters/waitresses make $3 per hour, seriously? That's way low! I thought all employers were required to pay min wage by law so I did my homework and got more info. What is the minimum wage for workers who receive tips?

If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Interesting!

Back