Don't tell me that deaf people are poor tippers, please....

On the low end, I give a little more than 15% because I believe the people deserve it. On the high end, however, it's a little outrageous to give someone 15% on a $200 meal when they have done the same amount of work as someone who served a $30 meal. Still, I believe a tip should be given.
when a person can afford $200 meal.... they have no problem with 15% tips. and if you think it's outrageous, then don't go there. beside... your check will most likely include gratuity fee. I don't wanna imagine what would happen if you don't pay that amount :Ohno:

Who said I expect the woman to pay on dates?

here -
Although, you should know that when on a date there is no end to the animosity when dealing with this situation. It's amazing to me that when I take someone out to dinner and have no problem paying they feel they also need me to not only pay for them but for the waitress as well.

when a person can afford $200 meal.... they have no problem with 15% tips. and if you think it's outrageous, then don't go there. beside... your check will most likely include gratuity fee. I don't wanna imagine what would happen if you don't pay that amount :Ohno:

Again, read the sentence. :roll:

Most of the restaurants here don't include the gratuity on the bill except for large groups.

Most cell phones include a tips app now for quick figuring, or at least a calculator app for doing the math, for those who have math issues. :D

That doesn't mean I don't pay. It means women expect you to pay more. You need to read what the sentence is saying.

Yes and I read it correctly. You're annoyed about paying for it.

Most of the restaurants here don't include the gratuity on the bill except for large groups.
yea I know. only expensive restaurants do that.

Most cell phones include a tips app now for quick figuring, or at least a calculator app for doing the math, for those who have math issues. :D
:giggle: I simply do this as explained in video. tax x 2 and a little more.

I went out for dinner with my girlfriend the other day. The bill was about $25. Waitress was quick with food and service, but she forgot to give me water when I asked for it. I did not get water until I was almost done with my meal.

For that, I left a $1 tip. I wasn't happy about being forgotten--especially with water thing. My girlfriend gave me a big lecture about leaving poor tip and that being late with water is not a good reason to leave a poor tip.

She is trying very hard to learn about Deaf Culture so she asked me if it's something that Deaf people do---leave poor tips??? I told her I did not know. I cannot really speak for every one.

My girlfriend reminded me that waitress often has to wait 7 or 8 tables. She told me to remember to help waitresses because they get paid below minimum wages. Still, I had "bruised ego" from not getting water. Go figure.

Oh my god. are you serious, whining for a water? did you order any drinks beside water?

do you have a job?

... It's amazing to me that when I take someone out to dinner and have no problem paying they feel they also need me to not only pay for them but for the waitress as well...

I have read and reread this part of your post - as well as the responses from others - and I still don't know what you mean by this. Do you mean you have no problem paying for dinner but they (your dinner guest) should not expect you to tip the wait staff as well?

I have read and reread this part of your post - as well as the responses from others - and I still don't know what you mean by this. Do you mean you have no problem paying for dinner but they (your dinner guest) should not expect you to tip the wait staff as well?

No, the payment is not the issue. I think it is impolite to argue or complain to someone, about HOW MUCH to pay the wait staff, who has just bought you dinner.

No, the payment is not the issue. I think it is impolite to argue or complain to someone, about HOW MUCH to pay the wait staff who has just bought you dinner.

I don't agree with alot of your thoughts on dating but I agree with the above comment 100%. And it works both ways. I tend to over tip....usually WAY over tip because I like to see people smile. I have had people I was with comment on the tips at times. I am pretty blunt about this......"If I am paying, mind your own business."

I'm wondering how other people at the table even know how much or how little someone tips? Tipping is supposed to be done discretely, not blatantly.

I'm wondering how other people at the table even know how much or how little someone tips? Tipping is supposed to be done discretely, not blatantly.

True, some people sneak a peek. It's harder with cash too sometimes. And then there are those places where the start ringing the bell. That's just embarrassing

I have a very simple tipping equation that seems to work out ok
normal - good service =%15

good to excellent service =%20-25

horrible service and I do mean horrible to the point where I want to ask for a free meal=$1

for really excellent service %25 plus praise or compliment, maybe leave feed back with servers name in those comment boxes or the websites. by leaving feedback you are telling the managers that this employee is good and you should keep them.

the $1 tip is to make sure the person knows we didn't forget but we were very displeased, and chances are I would complain to the manager as well because it has to be pretty horrible service for me to do that.

True, some people sneak a peek. It's harder with cash too sometimes. And then there are those places where the start ringing the bell. That's just embarrassing
Ringing the bell?

No, the payment is not the issue. I think it is impolite to argue or complain to someone, about HOW MUCH to pay the wait staff, who has just bought you dinner.

Ah ok. For the most part, I agree. However, if we had very different opinions on the service (as in Derek's case), I would say something or offer to cover the tip myself - but this would only be the case if I was dining with someone I knew very well.

At casual diners/restaurants, often cash tips are just placed on the table before getting up to leave. In that case it is easy to see the tip.

Back