Do you support a cure for deafness?

Do you support a cure for deafness?

• Total voters
What I think is funny. Is he's almost making it sound like if there was a 'cure' found for deafness, that suddenly *POOF* the deaf culture along with the use of ASL would disappear, or cease to exist. The culture and language would still be around.

And I am a hearie and I would be PROUD to be included into the deaf culture.

You ROCK!!!! :lol:

What I think is funny. Is he's almost making it sound like if there was a 'cure' found for deafness, that suddenly *POOF* the deaf culture along with the use of ASL would disappear, or cease to exist. The culture and language would still be around.

And I am a hearie and I would be PROUD to be included into the deaf culture.

Sorry to disappoint you but, no, that'd be impossible.

Sorry to disappoint you but, no, that'd be impossible.

You reject the Deaf community but you still want to reject hearing people from being a part of the Deaf community. Way to go!!!

Nice jumping to conclusion there.

Problem is that a lot of people try to apply the things that work for post-lingual to pre-lingual folks.

Thank you..:ty:

You are nuts and just making projections...:roll:

Nice jumping to conclusion there.

Problem is that a lot of people try to apply the things that work for post-lingual to pre-lingual folks.

No she said this. She said she voted no. Then she said the reason is because if a cure came about and people were cured then there would be fewer deaf people and they would be more oppressed. These were her words not mine. Her posts when put together were pretty clear

People see blindness as not a good thing, either.

I am not the judge of that. Blind people tell me that they are comfortable with it and I take their word for it. It is not my place to tell them otherwise. I do not believe in egocentrism.

No she said this. She said she voted no. Then she said the reason is because if a cure came about and people were cured then there would be fewer deaf people and they would be more oppressed. These were her words not mine. Her posts when put together were pretty clear

That is not the reason for why I voted no. I see deafness from a cultural model while you see if from a medical model. There is no way in hell we will ever agree on anything when it comes to deafness so we can leave it at that.

Because this has already been discussed plenty in another threads, I have the feeling this thread was just created to stir up a hornets nest and no other reason

Of course, that's his enterprise. He does that all the time.

because of how this poll and thread was poorly constructed, it is easy to take it out of context. This issue is never as easy as 1 + 1 = 2. It is much more than that. That's why I'm suggesting you to read other threads to get the gist of it.

I am not the judge of that. Blind people tell me that they are comfortable with it and I take their word for it. It is not my place to tell them otherwise. I do not believe in egocentrism.

No egocentrism here. Just that there are people who do see blindness as not a good thing to have.

How did I jump to a conclusion. Is this not what these two post combine to say?????

You havent asked me for clarification so too late. You already jumped to conclusion and read what you wanted to see. Time to move on..you can think I am selfish but many others know what I am talking about.

Not to mention that blind organizations understand that Deaf and Deafblinds are cultural groups... due to the division in languages.

Comparing apples to oranges.

Back