Dicussion about CI.

Cloggy, I am being off topic but I wonder if your daughter can use BTE processor instead of the one in the picture ? Aren't BTEs more practical ?
I'll join you off topic...
Actually, they are the BTE's. We just put them on her shoulders.
She allways hated the HA's on her ears, so we did it this way.
The BTE's would not stay on her ears. And every time hanging them back (she was 2½ at the time - 2004) was really a full-time job.
So, I cut off the fingers of a glove and put the BTE in there. Later they made the bags for us.
With the bodyworn, you still have to have the microphone on the ear.. So, it will not make a difference. It's a bit lighter, but two threads.... (Bodyworn-BTE-Coil) instead of 1 (BTE-Coil)

Anyway, it works really well. Lotte (actually, us or whoever is supervising) does not have to worry about the BTE falling off. Lotte can put the coil back herself.

In addition she will have even better direction-discrimination, as her ears are further apart.......

Shel90,
You should not feel personally attacked. You know yourself there's no reason for it. In fact, I said before that I felt you were one of the few that were actually "listning". :kiss:

I got a lot of crap a while ago... (and still getting it in another messageboard.... ) It is not here any more...

So the moderators are removing that crap? Hmmmmm.... So one-sided! (you know what I mean)

Cloggy, is the body worn also more durable?
Yes, the Deaf culture is changing...........I think that rocks! The same thing probaly happened when HAs were first introduced.............and I gotta say that the change in attitudes is amazing. I remember when I first started posting at Deaf messageboards (five years ago) EVERYONE was anti-CI. Now it's been getting a lot more moderate.

i mean, look at how ASL people write--with poor grammar. those deaf people don't get very far in life, in terms of their education after high school. they usually get lousy jobs.
It's not just ASLers who have crappy education. A lot of oral deaf people have significent grammar and reading and writing problems.

The same thing probaly happened when HAs were first introduced.............and I gotta say that the change in attitudes is amazing.

I've never heard that there were people against hearing aids, Have a link to back up your claim, because I've been deaf almost all my life never once heard anyone complain about hearing aids. :confused:

Quote:
i mean, look at how ASL people write--with poor grammar. those deaf people don't get very far in life, in terms of their education after high school. they usually get lousy jobs.

Whoever wrote that gonna be careful what he/she says cuz that is degrading to people whose 1st language is ASL and it is not true. I have seen so many deaf children from deaf family have better reading and writing skills than I do. Matter of fact, it was those students at my school that passed the state standardized tests last spring. Only 4 of them passed on their grade level and all 4 were from deaf families.

Quote:

Whoever wrote that gonna be careful what he/she says cuz that is degrading to people whose 1st language is ASL and it is not true. I have seen so many deaf children from deaf family have better reading and writing skills than I do. Matter of fact, it was those students at my school that passed the state standardized tests last spring. Only 4 of them passed on their grade level and all 4 were from deaf families.

angelstar819 said that.

So the moderators are removing that crap? Hmmmmm.... So one-sided! (you know what I mean)
NO, I have never seen posts being removed... This is not DN..

The seagulls ... delivering the crap ... are not here any more...

Cloggy, is the body worn also more durable?
Possibly. The advantages are that they can use rechargable batteries. Perhaps more robust.
BUT they are 3 to 4 times the size of the BTE.... and with Lotte needing 2 of them, that's a lot of hassle.

Thanks Angel,
You think that is cute.. She's 2 years older now....
IMG_06_7998.jpg

(Sorry... just a proud father showing off....)

Awwwwwwwwww shes such a beauty!!!! Thanks alot you're making me want a daughter so badly now :tears: but honestly she is very beautiful!!! lovely smile too...

I've never heard that there were people against hearing aids, Have a link to back up your claim, because I've been deaf almost all my life never once heard anyone complain about hearing aids
Cheri, I said PROBALY, and when they were first introduced. I know I've read that in the old days (back when aids were first introduced) many Deafs were anti HEARING AID!
Cloggy, what I meant by durable is that .....well you know how smaller stuff tends to be more easily breakable then larger stuff?

you see, there are many advantages for getting a CI. with a CI, life is easier, in terms of adjusting to the rest of the dominant hearing world by learning how to speak and listen. i wouldn't say that getting a CI destroys the deaf culture, because essentially, you are still deaf with a CI or not.

those who were raised with ASL as their primary mode of communication end up attending deaf schools where their education sucks, since the deaf students tend to be very behind academically, especially in reading and writing. i mean, look at how ASL people write--with poor grammar. those deaf people don't get very far in life, in terms of their education after high school. they usually get lousy jobs.

so i believe that with a CI, you have more and better opportunities availible to you. i know for some people, it doesn't work out, but for others, it does and those people usually end up being mainstreamed in schools and performing academically up to their hearing peers. this leads to them going to college and getting decent jobs after high school.

inevitably, the deaf culture is changing and those deaf people need to learn to accept CI users into their culture, rather than bash on them.

You know.. I honestly don't believe its based on hearing aids or CI to have a better grammer. Its all based on the environment they live in, the parents motivation, and deaf education in your location. Deaf people with a CI doesn't mean they will have a better education than those who don't wear HAs or wear HAs. Like my parents, they were just like Cloggy and his wife. They thought it would be best if I wore hearing aids, I would hear better. Which is true. I did hear things. I took speech therapies most of my childhood life and mainstreamed. I can speak well, not perfectly like hearings can, pick up alot of sounds, and write pretty well too. Its because of the environment I lived in and the motivation I got from my parents and grandparents.

For those you called "a poor grammer" is because each state, city, and themself is different. Each individuals have their own mentality of how they see and hear things.. It doesn't fit into the Hearing world but its their own language. The truth is.. for those who have poor written grammers are better ASL than anyone. They're intelligent actually. Just happens to have poor grammer and it shouldn't be judged.

I'm profoundly deaf but wear hearing aids. I can't really hear that good but I continue to speak and sign. I have a really good job. Its not entirely true that those who have poor grammer or went to an institution doesn't mean they don't get a good job. I have a friend that's an administrative assistant, an engineer, computer expert, teachers, etc. most of them went to the institution.

Its all based on the motivation from the parents at an early age. I applaud to cloggy and others for wanting to do what's best for their child.

You know.. I honestly don't believe its based on hearing aids or CI to have a better grammer. Its all based on the environment they live in, the parents motivation, and deaf education in your location. Deaf people with a CI doesn't mean they will have a better education than those who don't wear HAs or wear HAs. Like my parents, they were just like Cloggy and his wife. They thought it would be best if I wore hearing aids, I would hear better. Which is true. I did hear things. I took speech therapies most of my childhood life and mainstreamed. I can speak well, not perfectly like hearings can, pick up alot of sounds, and write pretty well too. Its because of the environment I lived in and the motivation I got from my parents and grandparents.

For those you called "a poor grammer" is because each state, city, and themself is different. Each individuals have their own mentality of how they see and hear things.. It doesn't fit into the Hearing world but its their own language. The truth is.. for those who have poor written grammers are better ASL than anyone. They're intelligent actually. Just happens to have poor grammer and it shouldn't be judged.

I'm profoundly deaf but wear hearing aids. I can't really hear that good but I continue to speak and sign. I have a really good job. Its not entirely true that those who have poor grammer or went to an institution doesn't mean they don't get a good job. I have a friend that's an administrative assistant, an engineer, computer expert, teachers, etc. most of them went to the institution.

Its all based on the motivation from the parents at an early age. I applaud to cloggy and others for wanting to do what's best for their child.

:gpost: You go girl!!!! :rockon: ....

I lost my hearing at the age of 5 from illness, I grew up hard of hearing and was able to hear very well with the use of my hearing aids and I mainstreamed at public schools never a deaf school, I was behind in my class because there was no ihterpreter to help me understand what the teachers were saying when they were facing the chark board, it was very diffcult for me to catch up, and yes I did stuggle during my jr high school years....until my parents heard about TC, at a high school which was half an hour drive to where we live, again it was a public school....I may not have a great english grammar since I didn't do so well in school or wasn't learning as much as I hoping to, but it doesn't mean it my parents fault, it wasn't enough information back in the old days for hearing parents to know how to raise a deaf child, they did all they could, and I didn't expect someone to judge me just cause I have a poor english grammar, I may be smart in alot of things but it doesn't mean I won't have a good furture or having a better job, I work and I'm proud of myself being able to do almost anything I wanted to do, my own deafness isn't going to stop me from following my dreams, maybe most parents are worry about that, but they shouldn't we are no different than any child out there....

Yes, Cloggy Your daughter is real beautiful, just wanted to say that. ;)

I agree..your daughter is precious and adorable, Cloggy. :) Our children are truly a blessing arent they?

Yes I'm agree that Lotte is such a beautiful and adorable girl... Yes, you are proud of her, Cloggy...

*A*M*E*N*

I'm agree that develop to improve grammar skills has nothing do with CI or HA.

There're millions of hearings have the problems to read or write grammars level as well... They can talk but have the problem with their literacy

Back