Dicussion about CI.

WhisperHorse

Reaction score
I would like to dicussion with people who already have CI or their kids have CI...

Why did you want yourself/your kid to getting ci for?

I'm VERY curious about that because it's a little bother me so far because I don't know why you want to get ci for yourself or your kid, I am just curious why that's all. I don't want you to think that I'm against it. But honestly, I do against it for hurting deaf culture and sometime I don't likd it for forcing kids to get ci same like some of my friends who got ci which their parents THOUGHT they will be hearing like them again after they got CI which it's not work out and even, my friends aren't happy with CI. Also, I can't do anything to stop people getting ci, I would like to seeing them be happy with CI and accept deaf culter, also know that they are deaf no matter what if they use CI. Sorry....?

For Parents of their kid having ci;

Does you worry about your kid's happiness?

What if they aren't happy with CI, what will you do?

I'm just curious, I hope the answers will help out. Thank you!

For you information; I'm not thinking about to get ci at all if people get wrong idea so thanks again.

TRUE! GOOD THREAD!!! i am very curious and it bother me why wanna CI..

Same here..I am curious but I think the answer will be this "We want to provide our child with every opportunity as we can.." something to that effect. I could be wrong but that is just my feeling that would be the main reason.

Anyone welcome to correct me if I am wrong! :)

Shel, you are right in the sense that i want to give my daughter every opportunity i could. I did'nt do it "to make her hearing like me". I know she's still deaf. In my case there is no one who is dhh in my family so this was all new to me. I did'nt want her to feel isolated when it came to family functions. Her dad and i would be able to sign with her but you can't make eveyone one in you extended family learn to sign. The fact that she talks and will sign assures me that i am giving her the both tools that she needs to make things easier for her. I just can't seem to understand why someone would think that is so wrong. When she gets older and decides she dose'nt want to wear her CI no more then that would just fine with me. I just want her to be happy. I will back her up 110% with whatever path she chooses. It's comforting to know that at least she will have a choice. She's 6 now and so far she's a very happy child who loves being able to communicate with her cousins. She won't take her CI off until she falls asleep, then i take it off for her. I hope this makes you understand a little bit of a parents situation. One more thing, I want her to be exposed to the deaf culture, it is a part of who she is thats why i'm here at alldeaf to learn more about it, but i will not tolerate her being frowned upon from anybody just because she wears a CI.

I did'nt want her to feel isolated when it came to family functions. Her dad and i would be able to sign with her but you can't make eveyone one in you extended family learn to sign.

I wish people would have a heart to care, a heart to learn sign language for her or any deaf children, it's sadness me because families with deaf children don't even encourage the family to learn sign language for their daughter/son or families should let the children participating in conversations, rather they're deaf or not. When they don't, it sounds so selfish the same time, so self-center who only thinks of themselves not others who are being left out. It's very sad. :(

I think someone else also started a topic like this.... There might be some info there as well. (Was it Cheri?)
But it is good to put down these questions....

I would like to dicussion with people who already have CI or their kids have CI...

Why did you want yourself/your kid to getting ci for?

I'm VERY curious about that because it's a little bother me so far because I don't know why you want to get ci for yourself or your kid, I am just curious why that's all. I don't want you to think that I'm against it. But honestly, I do against it for hurting deaf culture and sometime I don't likd it for forcing kids to get ci same like some of my friends who got ci which their parents THOUGHT they will be hearing like them again after they got CI which it's not work out and even, my friends aren't happy with CI. Also, I can't do anything to stop people getting ci, I would like to seeing them be happy with CI and accept deaf culter, also know that they are deaf no matter what if they use CI. Sorry....?

For Parents of their kid having ci;

Does you worry about your kid's happiness?
Not before CI, not now. I can see that she's a happy, secure child. Chat's with everyone.
She is happy to play without CI when she wakes up in the morning. When the rest gets up, she want's her CI.... That tells us a lot.

What if they aren't happy with CI, what will you do?
We would support her any which way she chooses.
But your question can go both way's. What if the child is not happy without CI??

I'm just curious, I hope the answers will help out. Thank you!

For you information; I'm not thinking about to get ci at all if people get wrong idea so thanks again.

I have stated this earlier, but I'll state it again.

For Lotte - my daughter - we want her to be able to communicate with us in Dutch, her immediate family in Dutch, her extended family in english, our friends in norwegian, english and dutch, her friends from school in norwegian...etc.
Apart from that she learned signlanguage before she got CI, but she does not use it any more.

Also, we want her to be able to hear sounds. For her... Hearing is one of the most beautiful senses. Sure there's noise as well, but hearing and emotion are very close together.
I do not think deaf people understand how important sound is.....

As for hurting the culture.... that is not a good enough reasong NOT to have her experience sound.

Deafness is a choice nowadays... We made the choice for her to be able to hear..... Is she deaf??? Perhaps.... But she'll grow up hearing.

Well, the basic thing is most kids that have CI put on, they just don't understand it until they're around 8 years old minimum and they will show you their vents and they will hate it or not. Many of the deaf people that I know are NOT happy with the CI that they already have implanted in their heads and want it gone. They're proud to be deaf and CI doesn't solve becoming a hearing person, once you take the magnet thing off, you're deaf. It's who you are, not what you're labeled as. It's just an expensive in your head hearing aid with more oo mph, don't bash me or I will not respond back. It's just sad, period!

I think someone else also started a topic like this.... There might be some info there as well. (Was it Cheri?)

For Lotte - my daughter - we want her to be able to communicate with us in Dutch, her immediate family in Dutch, her extended family in english, our friends in norwegian, english and dutch, her friends from school in norwegian...etc.
Apart from that she learned signlanguage before she got CI, but she does not use it any more.

Also, we want her to be able to hear sounds. For her... Hearing is one of the most beautiful senses. Sure there's noise as well, but hearing and emotion are very close together.

As for hurting the culture.... that is not a good enough reasong NOT to have her experience sound.

Deafness is a choice nowadays... We made the choice for her to be able to hear..... Is she deaf??? Perhaps.... But she'll grow up hearing.

DRUM ROLL ..... THIS TROLL HAVE COME BACK ;)

Sigh!. Pardon me for you say think we deaf people don't understand how important is.
Yes we most deaf people does to understand what sound is all about thank you don't you dare to telling us about this we deaf do not understand about what sound is or are like. We choose do not want to be hearing because we are happy what we are and we thanks god for the HANDS we can use sign languages,
Sorry you make laugh that you said your daughter will grow up hearing :roll: she is not hearing and never will be only this CI make her can hear that is all. Yet know you want her to hearing something good or wonderful yes. It seem like to me you force her to living into the hearing world and i does to think some parents feel ashamed that their child or children are deaf or don't want them to involve the deaf world, nothing wrong to be having them be involve in deaf world it can be so wonderful experince too .. i have 2 hearing and 1 deaf kids ... we are all happy family we all treat each other as normal . some people never thought to treat deaf people as they are just deaf most of my families or friends or work colleuges never treat me as am just Deaf, they just treat me as normal because just simple accept what we are .. I sick to hear that people think all deaf people should learn to hear , that would be different if people were born hearing later on become deafned then they want to having CI that fine because they know what the hear like as they were before become deaf.
Other thing make me see red because when want their's young child to become hearing and want them to having speak like hearing do ,
It IS * COMMUNICATE ABUSES*

I does agree with sequoias's post .

The reason why I got implanted (not yet activated) because I grew up ONLY deaf in the family and I kinda sick of being left out during dinner time or families gatherings. I hate to ask someone to tell me what's going on or why are they laughing etc. Sometimes when I am with my real mom, she sometimes forgot that I am here. (I was adopted, long story). Then she said ohh I am sorry, then explained. I was like GEEZ! I just wanted to know what's happening during the conversation. I also am sooo used to the hearing aids all my life and I did stopped wear HA for few years due to bad headache and no insurance to get a new one. So I finally went back to HA and still didn't want CI till my friend explained his experience. That's made me wanting one. So I went for it. I hope I don't get headache often otherwise I'll go :pissed: LOL! I do not expect anything while getting activated. I would let it flow and pick up what I can.

IF I am from deaf family, I WOULD NOT get it.

IF I have deaf child, I won't get her or him CI till s/he make her own decision after age 10 or older. I wanted my child being proud that s/he make her/his own decision not parent. If my child do not want it, that's fine. As long as my child make her/his decision.

Before I make any assumptions, I want to ask u first. What exactly do u mean by that comment? Are u expecting your daughter to grow up as a hearing person or grow up having the option to be "hearing"?

Are you trying to not let her part of Deaf Culture and all you want your daughter rest of hearing life...?

Your daughter will discovered and learned about Deaf Culture. Will you force her stop participle Deaf Culture?

Your daughter is NOTHearing as miracle! You have to accept your daughter is Deaf... as long she can wear ci anytime listening any sounds.. That's fine by me but as long you have to respect your daughter's life.

Are you trying to not let her part of Deaf Culture and all you want your daughter rest of hearing life...?

Your daughter will discovered and learned about Deaf Culture. Will you force her stop participle Deaf Culture?

Your daughter is NOTHearing as miracle! You have to accept your daughter is Deaf... as long she can wear ci anytime listening any sounds.. That's fine by me but as long you have to respect your daughter's life.

true true i agree with u!!!

I'm happy that your daughter is very happy with CI right now but in the future, Im concern about... And, remind you. Your daughter wouldn't be hearing like you are, she's deaf if her ci damage and have to wait in a week to getting it fix or so? She will be deaf for awhile. There have a few reasons that you need to accpet the fact that your daugther is deaf. Your daughter couldn't be hearing like you or my parents, she is DEAF for pete's sake! I think it's sooo silly for you to saying that by show that you rather her to be hearing than deaf. Honestly, Deaf People could be better than Hearing people for SOME reasons. LIke example; by driving. Get it?

Same like you said, what if kid isn't happy without ci? Go ahead to get one that I will know why they aren't happy with themselves without getting ci and unknow if they are TRULY happy with themselves for being deaf.

And, you are wrong. I do know how hearing could be beautiful and etc like that. I raised in hearing world with my family for almost 14 years but I entered deaf world, I love both worlds, they are amazing. But there have diffcult with hearing world that they don't accept me as deaf like for working, etc like that you know the reasons. Plus, I don't need the CI for that craps, I only want it for myself but honestly I don't want CI at all because I love myself as deaf, but I will get hearing aids for in case. Even, my family(hearing) wish they are deaf because there are some of stuffs that hate to hearing, likely kid's screaming or scartch on the chalk board or whatever you could name it.

Five Senses are beautiful, but same time there have gross. No perfect for five senses.

Right now, if people rather deaf kids to getting ci. That means they want all of retard, blind, deaf, etc kids to become "perfect" to having "perfect" five senses? Likely Deaf Kids get CI, Blind Kids get surgery to fixing their kids to seeing again, Retard Kids get sugery on their brain to making them to be perfect aka normal? Why couldn't they accept the fact that they have deaf or blind or whatever you could name it? I don't even understand that.

This argument is soo silly......I am tired of hearling Deaf people say that we are denying our children of "Deaf Culutre"... I am in in very unique situation.. my parents are Deaf, my child is implanted. There are Deaf aunts, uncles, cousins, too...Why did I choose the implant for my child?? Because yes, i do want to give every opportunity. I have SEEN the frustration, the communicaiton barriers, norhitng really has changed. People still get pissed off when they get a relay call...........I want my child to be able to go into a drive thru and order wahtever he/she wants, and to be UNDERSTOOD>>> As far as deafness goes, my child is deaf and will always be deaf. That is just a plain reality. I am not changing who my child is, I accept him for who he is and I love him with all my heart. His deafness makes him who he is, just as his implants make him who he is....He said something very profound to us the other day" I am very , very lucky".. I thought it was a weird comment so I decided to pursue it furhter.....His response" iam lucky because I can hear when I want to and if it gets too much, I can turn it off".. Nodoby else can do that. From the mouth of babes...My child knows that he is deaf and is not ashemed of who he is..........as a matter of fact, he celebrated a birthday recently and asked for his cake (for school) to be one in the shape of his new freddoms.........Pretty amamzing.........

DRUM ROLL ..... THIS TROLL HAVE COME BACK ;)

Sigh!. Pardon me for you say think we deaf people don't understand how important is. Like I don't know what it is to be deaf, a person deaf from birth does not know what it is to hear.. Doesn't it go both way's??
Yes we most deaf people does to understand what sound is all about thank you don't you dare to telling us about this we deaf do not understand about what sound is or are like. We choose do not want to be hearing because we are happy what we are and we thanks god for the HANDS we can use sign languages, Ah... the "gods-gift" argument.. Well, appearently god wanted my daughter to hear.
Sorry you make laugh that you said your daughter will grow up hearing :roll: she is not hearing and never will be only this CI make her can hear So you agree she can hear..that is all. Yet know you want her to hearing something good or wonderful yes. It seem like to me you force her to living into the hearing world and i does to think some parents feel ashamed that their child or children are deaf or don't want them to involve the deaf world, nothing wrong to be having them be involve in deaf world it can be so wonderful experince too .. i have 2 hearing and 1 deaf kids ... we are all happy family we all treat each other as normal . some people never thought to treat deaf people as they are just deaf most of my families or friends or work colleuges never treat me as am just Deaf, they just treat me as normal because just simple accept what we are .. I sick to hear that people think all deaf people should learn to hear , Where did that come from... I don't want that. Silly argument caused by paranoia.! that would be different if people were born hearing later on become deafned then they want to having CI that fine because they know what the hear like as they were before become deaf.
Other thing make me see red because when want their's young child to become hearing and want them to having speak like hearing do ,
It IS * COMMUNICATE ABUSES*

I does agree with sequoias's post .
Well, what's wrong about hearing....???? It's great. And it's a great gift for our daughter..

Well, what's wrong about hearing....???? It's great. And it's a great gift for our daughter..

So your daughter can hear like u? My parents still think I can hear like them with my HAs. It cracks me up cuz if I could hear like them, then I wouldnt have all those communication barrier issues.

Before I make any assumptions, I want to ask u first. What exactly do u mean by that comment? Are u expecting your daughter to grow up as a hearing person or grow up having the option to be "hearing"?
Good question.
My daughter can hear. She experiences sound. She's fine without Ci as well, but she will grow up hearing, speaking, listning....
When she takes off her CI, she's deaf..

If I close my eyes, I cannot see. I still grew up seeing..!!

Back