Dicussion about CI.

no, not you. others though he is because of the way he phrased what he is trying to say.. "lotte is not using sign anymore" they mistook that he is not keeping up with signs with her. I knew that is because Lotte is speaking more than sign. since his native language is not english so other may have misunderstood what he's trying to say.

Ok no problem :ty:

Shel, have you seen his blog about Lotte? click on his name then select "visit his homepage" and look at the left column, you will see her timeline leading up to present.

Shel, have you seen his blog about Lotte? click on his name then select "visit his homepage" and look at the left column, you will see her timeline leading up to present.

I did look at it a while ago but something came up and forgot about going back to it. Yea, I will check it out again. Thanks

no, not you. others though he is because of the way he phrased what he is trying to say.. "lotte is not using sign anymore" they mistook that he is not keeping up with signs with her. I knew that is because Lotte is speaking more than sign. since his native language is not english so other may have misunderstood what he's trying to say.

Actually I didn't misunderstood his post, it was the way he was saying it so I assume that this is what he meant, if I was wrong, he could have correct me then, which he didn't so anyways I apologize for not understanding what he was trying to say earlier....

So thanks for clearing this up! ;)

Shel90 said:
I did look at it a while ago but something came up and forgot about going back to it. Yea, I will check it out again. Thanks

LOL, you're not alone, same here a couple weeks ago I had looked into his blogs but something came up so I had to leave, and ever since then I wasn't able to go back to it either.., beside I've been too busy with other things in RL anyhow...

I must have missed that VERY important post about Lottie knowing signs that I am happy to know that she got access to a language. Yea, I got what Cloggy meant now..I was just asking to make sure so I wont make the wrong assuptions, ya know?
IMG_2001.jpg

Lotte with my wife. Making drawings and signing.. in this case: "cake".

... Have to remember that he's from Norwegian and English is not his native language. I understood him what he's trying to say.

That's true ! I'm not a native English speaker,as well and sometimes this may cause misunderstandings :ugh3:

As for Cloggy,He is trying to do his best for her daughter .

you see, there are many advantages for getting a CI. with a CI, life is easier, in terms of adjusting to the rest of the dominant hearing world by learning how to speak and listen. i wouldn't say that getting a CI destroys the deaf culture, because essentially, you are still deaf with a CI or not.

those who were raised with ASL as their primary mode of communication end up attending deaf schools where their education sucks, since the deaf students tend to be very behind academically, especially in reading and writing. i mean, look at how ASL people write--with poor grammar. those deaf people don't get very far in life, in terms of their education after high school. they usually get lousy jobs.

so i believe that with a CI, you have more and better opportunities availible to you. i know for some people, it doesn't work out, but for others, it does and those people usually end up being mainstreamed in schools and performing academically up to their hearing peers. this leads to them going to college and getting decent jobs after high school.

inevitably, the deaf culture is changing and those deaf people need to learn to accept CI users into their culture, rather than bash on them.

Why don't you learn how to read first. In my quote it clearly states that ME AND HER DAD will sign. I cant make everybody take classes.You need to be a little more realistic. My daughter is very involved in asking and answering questions with the whole family thanks to her CI. You could call me selfish all you want, i don't know you and you don't know me. It's VERY sad when people just can't except the fact that there actually are some CI success stories. Stop being so negative all the time and be happy for these kids who actually enjoy hearing. It's not such a bad thing ya know.

You did not even understand my post, I know you and your husband signs,. I'm talking about your family, his family, your relatives, your daughter's grandparents, your daughter's aunts, uncles, now you get my drift? Yes, they are being selfish and self center when they don't want to learn signs for her.

And being deaf isn't a bad thing either. ;)

angelstar, you have so beautifully put into words how I feel! That is what Fragmenter wanted for his son (who is getting his second CI a week from tomorrow). He wants for his son to have more opportunities than he (Frag) had. I understand how the hearing parents want the best for their children.

Someone on here says it is selfish for relatives other than the parents not learning sign language. You cannot force people to learn sign language -- they have to want to learn. And it takes practice, practice, practice, practice. I personally KNOW this myself as I was raised oral and start learning ASL at age of 13 or 14.

So to those of you who keep saying inane stuff, why don't you go back to your other threads and leave us alone? Let these parents share and learn and please don't drive them away. We all need to help them understand their deaf children better.

And lastly, those of you who don't know me, I am first generation deaf with two deaf adult children and three deaf/hoh grandchildren. When I first in AD, I was very anti-CI trying to open my mind because we had just learned our son wanted our grandson implant to better help him in his future. Well, a lot of posters on here changed my mind about CIs! Thank you! You know who you are! :ty:

you see, there are many advantages for getting a CI. with a CI, life is easier, in terms of adjusting to the rest of the dominant hearing world by learning how to speak and listen. i wouldn't say that getting a CI destroys the deaf culture, because essentially, you are still deaf with a CI or not.
those who were raised with ASL as their primary mode of communication end up attending deaf schools where their education sucks, since the deaf students tend to be very behind academically, especially in reading and writing. i mean, look at how ASL people write--with poor grammar. those deaf people don't get very far in life, in terms of their education after high school. they usually get lousy jobs.

so i believe that with a CI, you have more and better opportunities availible to you. i know for some people, it doesn't work out, but for others, it does and those people usually end up being mainstreamed in schools and performing academically up to their hearing peers. this leads to them going to college and getting decent jobs after high school.

inevitably, the deaf culture is changing and those deaf people need to learn to accept CI users into their culture, rather than bash on them.

........And lastly, those of you who don't know me, I am first generation deaf with two deaf adult children and three deaf/hoh grandchildren. When I first in AD, I was very anti-CI trying to open my mind because we had just learned our son wanted our grandson implant to better help him in his future. Well, a lot of posters on here changed my mind about CIs! Thank you! You know who you are! :ty:
Ah, Greema,

That made all the crap, discussions, explanations etc. in AllDeaf worth while...

Oh yeah now I remember seeing that photo somewhere here in Alldeaf, your daughter is soo cute!...aww
Thanks Angel,
You think that is cute.. She's 2 years older now....
IMG_06_7998.jpg

(Sorry... just a proud father showing off....)

Ah, Greema,

That made all the crap, discussions, explanations etc. in AllDeaf worth while...

Wow..I didnt realize how my experiences both personal and with deaf children and my concerns for them were considered crap?

Ah, Greema,

Hi Cloggy! Lotte is such a darling!

(hmm, just noted some mistakes in my post -- oh well, too late for the edit option)

Wow..I didnt realize how my experiences both personal and with deaf children and my concerns for them were considered crap?
Shel90,
You should not feel personally attacked. You know yourself there's no reason for it. In fact, I said before that I felt you were one of the few that were actually "listning". :kiss:

I got a lot of crap a while ago... (and still getting it in another messageboard.... ) It is not here any more...

Cloggy, I am being off topic but I wonder if your daughter can use BTE processor instead of the one in the picture ? Aren't BTEs more practical ?

Shel90,
You should not feel personally attacked. You know yourself there's no reason for it. In fact, I said before that I felt you were one of the few that were actually "listning". :kiss:

I got a lot of crap a while ago... (and still getting it in another messageboard.... ) It is not here any more...

Oh...I misread your earlier post. My eyes must be in need of new glasses (I know it is time for my annual check up..ggggrr). I thought wrote "That made all that crap of discussions, explainations, etc......" My brain put that word "of" in the sentence. :slap: me. LOL! Isnt that amazing how one little word can change the whole content of a sentence. Damn!

Someone on here says it is selfish for relatives other than the parents not learning sign language. You cannot force people to learn sign language -- they have to want to learn. And it takes practice, practice, practice, practice.

Same for deaf people like me I learned to speak, learned speech for them, how about them going half way and learn my language, sign language. Isn't that fair? I do think so. :)

So to those of you who keep saying inane stuff, why don't you go back to your other threads and leave us alone?

Why? This is a message board, This is a place to share our ideas, feedback's discuss about the topic at hand, agree to disagree, expressed our opinions, etc etc. You can't censor me or any other members, If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen. ;)

Back