Definition of "book learning"

I "work" like two days of the month and I'm good.
I am a professional gambler. When I head out to Vegas it's like christmas for me.
I usually make 2500/hr there. :shock:
I go twice a year. Don't need more.

When I'm out in the field doing interpreting it's usually $75-90 an hour depending on the assignments.

*edit:
I've been gambling since I was 11 year old.
If I were to take up your profession, I'd be broke in like 5 secs flat.

about your last paragraph - yep my college roomie was same. High IQ, genius programming but a major fuck-up in college and life. Flunked a lot of courses (college wasn't "up to par" to his level :lol:). a gaming addict. unhealthy lifestyle. no goal in life. I was sad to see him waste his talent to.... games. He programmed codes to quickly level up his characters automatically 24/7. impressive yes but it serves no purpose for him on big picture.

Even though he's a genius, he got fed up with his lifestyle full of disappointment and failure.... so he left college to join Air Force. He's their programmer. I'd say Air Force fixed him up proper and well. He's doing pretty well - working out, keeping it routine, and prioritizing his life. Now he's working on his ph.d. I'm very happy for him and I'm fortunate to be his good friend. :)

Sounds like my brother except for the part, gaming stuff. He was not really into video games. He's into goth-punk music. He is not afraid to put Winnie-the-pooh costume on for Halloween or put make-up on. He doesn't smoke or drink.

My cousin couldn't afford to go to college. Air Force was crazy about him, and wanted him to join, because he has aced perfect SATs, and every exam you'd ever imagine. His IQ is high as well. He's currently in training, US Air Force Special Ops. He is supposed to go to Afghanistan after he completes his training.

I've seen some kids do really well after joining the military. For some people, the structure and self-discipline is what they need. I have a friend who says that military high school saved his life. Each person is different and may need a certain path.

Sounds like my brother except for the part, gaming stuff. He was not really into video games. He's into goth-punk music. He is not afraid to put Winnie-the-pooh costume on for Halloween or put make-up on. He doesn't smoke or drink.

My cousin couldn't afford to go to college. Air Force was crazy about him, and wanted him to join, because he has aced perfect SATs, and every exam you'd ever imagine. His IQ is high as well. He's currently in training, US Air Force Special Ops. He is supposed to go to Afghanistan after he completes his training.

AFSOC? wow that is pretty hardcore. good luck to him!

2 of my friends are doing Air Force for same reason - to pay for schools. Both are a very sweet couple. :) One is going to be a psychiatrist and other as surgeon.

Sometimes it would make more sense not to get an advanced degree like a PhD and just go and work in the very same field of interest. At least you can continue to learn that way with real life experiences and learning that even a PhD can't cover.

A lot of PhDs work in their area of expertise and are also expert witnesses, which is highly lucrative. Most universities also require their professors to have significant experience in the real world in their area of expertise.

Sometimes it would make more sense not to get an advanced degree like a PhD and just go and work in the very same field of interest. At least you can continue to learn that way with real life experiences and learning that even a PhD can't cover.

for that - it's usually for liability reason. Just like government engineering jobs require Professional Engineering License. PEL exam is mostly about ethic codes and regulations. :zzz:

it depends on what field. so based on your post - why did you get an advanced degree for your field of interest?

Simple, I love Earth science.

but I'm bit confused by your previous post -

With that statement, you can love and learn Earth Science with real life experiences. You know what I'm saying?

so did you gain anything significant from this advanced degree you got?

but I'm bit confused by your previous post -
With that statement, you can love and learn Earth Science with real life experiences. You know what I'm saying?

so did you gain anything significant from this advanced degree you got?

Very! And even more so afterwards.

Very! And even more so afterwards.

:thumb: Just like what Reba said - "the best combination would be formal med school training AND hands-on experience." (as in both real life hand-on experience plus formal education)

Yep. Even though I had an opportunity to get a PhD but turned it down.

:lol:

The only benefit college/university ever gave me was networking. All of my professors knew that I was bored with classes. One of them even said I shouldn't be an undergrad, and suggested I should go elsewhere.

In fact when I dropped out, he was going to hire me as part of his research them in Mississippi to study Mesoamerican culture. Wish I took him up on the offer, but I was really messed up when I dropped out. Maybe I should ring him up to see if the job offer is still there.

Also, at the same time, a palaeontology doctorate asked me if I needed a job when I told the palaeontology department that I ceased my study at the university. Again... same reason; kicking myself for not taking that one up either.

I am happier now that I am working outside... well worked... since I got laid off recently. :\ I am only considering going back because in order to be a teacher... you need a degree nowadays. :roll:

yep..... nowadays..... college's pretty much the only place for networking purpose. Friends... the most valuable people in your life when it comes to success and career.... and this is an ancient rule too.

Rather pointless to discuss if he should've stayed in school or not. He made his money. Gobs of it.

So, making money is the only use you see of an education? That is rather a limited perspective, now, isn't it?

about your last paragraph - yep my college roomie was same. High IQ, genius programming but a major fuck-up in college and life. Flunked a lot of courses (college wasn't "up to par" to his level :lol:). a gaming addict. unhealthy lifestyle. no goal in life. I was sad to see him waste his talent to.... games. He programmed codes to quickly level up his characters automatically 24/7. impressive yes but it serves no purpose for him on big picture.

Even though he's a genius, he got fed up with his lifestyle full of disappointment and failure.... so he left college to join Air Force. He's their programmer. I'd say Air Force fixed him up proper and well. He's doing pretty well - working out, keeping it routine, and prioritizing his life. Now he's working on his ph.d. I'm very happy for him and I'm fortunate to be his good friend. :)

Sounds like me, seriously.

Obviously, you fail to account for the fact that earning a Ph.D. carries a requirement of internship and field work in your chosen field to provide for real life experience. Post doc experience and a dissertation contribute to that as well.

Many people who chose to earn Ph. D.'s already have a graduate degree, and have quite a bit of experience in their chosen field at the time they return to school for a doctorate program. They simply wish to expand the level of contribution they can make in the field that would not be possible without the Ph.D.

Obviously, you fail to account for the fact that earning a Ph.D. carries a requirement of internship and field work in your chosen field to provide for real life experience. Post doc experience and a dissertation contribute to that as well.

Many people who chose to earn Ph. D.'s already have a graduate degree, and have quite a bit of experience in their chosen field at the time they return to school for a doctorate program. They simply wish to expand the level of contribution they can make in the field that would not be possible without the Ph.D.
^^ Exactly the reason I think he's blowing smoke that he had an opportunity for a Ph.D. program.

Back