Definition of "book learning"

Congratulations, you just derailed your own thread.

Sallylou was on topic, you weren't.

That is the perfect example of being able to read a piece of print, but unable to apply it.

I have no college degree, but I read extensively. I thought just the act of learning many things with or without help or a college was book learning.

Maybe I am thinking too literally.

Actually, Botts, I would consider you to be educated (ability to apply that which you have learned) rather than just book learned.

Actually, Botts, I would consider you to be educated (ability to apply that which you have learned) rather than just book learned.

and also well-informed

Well, if her Pek won't bite, then she will have to do the biting for him! Since you know... that breed got a reputation for nipping people, but hers isn't a nipper!

Joey is an angel Pekingese!!:angel:

Learning by the book... I lol at the people who do that. These same people also raise kids who go to college and they both (parents and kids) repeat the same cycle in a cookie cutter home.

I haven't graduated from high school, I haven't graduated from college either.
I have had four years of college under my belt, first two years at 15-17 years old.

Soooo, book learners is what the USA government wants everyone in America to do. The USA wants you to chant USA USA USA USA while they bend you over and shaft you in the bum.

That's my definition. Take it for what it is worth.

Book-learning...

An educated friend of mine said "so what if you have a university degree, my SIG P226 triumph it."

"Book learning" is subjective though, and it really depends on what field you are going into and what you are going to do with the knowledge you gained.

There are two type of book-learners I don't favour... and that is the self-taught conspiracy nuts; the other type is the one that rely on the education system to teach them everything.

I dislike these people who does this:
"Oh you don't have a degree, too bad, you're not successful."

I laugh at them and ask them what do they have to show for their degree, a $15 an hour job. I totally lol and tell them I make on average $300 an hour.

I wish I was kidding.

Learning by the book... I lol at the people who do that. These same people also raise kids who go to college and they both (parents and kids) repeat the same cycle in a cookie cutter home.

I haven't graduated from high school, I haven't graduated from college either.
I have had four years of college under my belt, first two years at 15-17 years old.

Soooo, book learners is what the USA government wants everyone in America to do. The USA wants you to chant USA USA USA USA while they bend you over and shaft you in the bum.

That's my definition. Take it for what it is worth.

wait. how do you have 4 years of college under your belt if you didn't graduate from high school?

I dislike these people who does this:
"Oh you don't have a degree, too bad, you're not successful."

I laugh at them and ask them what do they have to show for their degree, a $15 an hour job. I totally lol and tell them I make on average $300 an hour.

I wish I was kidding.

What do you do that is $300 an hour? That means you earn $13,000 per 45-hours week.

Bill Gates, a college drop-out, self taught. So was Paul Allen. Walter Cronkite was a college drop-out, too.

Bill Gates, a college drop-out, self taught. So was Paul Allen. Walter Cronkite was a college drop-out, too.

Actually about bill gates and paul allen - they are technologist. All you need is one good idea and then you can easily make millions on it.... even if you don't know any basic American history or whatsoever. They simply got lucky and became billionaires (because they were using unethical business practices).

Google founders Sergey Brin & Lawrence Page, Yahoo founders Jerry Yang & David Filo, Sun Microsystem founder Scott McNeely = all graduated from colleges with advanced degrees. They have far far far more in-depth knowledge than Bill Gates... and that's why Bill Gates lost the competitions to them. That is Bill Gates' ultimate weakness. In fact - Bill Gates was doing unethical business practice. He is the reason why DOJ and SEC enacted several important corporate regulations.

interesting tidbit - Gates should have finished school, McNealy says
June 5, 1998 -- If Bill Gates hadn't dropped out of Harvard University, Microsoft Corp. might have avoided the antitrust problems it's facing today, Scott McNealy, Sun Microsystems' chairman and president, told reporters during a recent visit to Caracas, Venezuela.

"You see, Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard. I finished. So I learned what a monopoly is. Apparently, it would have helped (Gates) to stay a couple of extra years and learn the definition of monopoly. We were there at the same time. He would have heard the same classes, had he stuck with it," McNealy said. "My mistake, obviously, (is) he got a head start on me."

Had Microsoft's chairman and chief executive officer stayed in school, he would have learned why monopolistic practices that limit customer choice -- like predatory pricing, bundling, and exclusionary contracts -- are illegal, McNealy said.

"There is no question Microsoft is a monopoly. That is not debatable. The first chapter of an Economics 101 (textbook) will tell you that 95 percent marketshare is a monopoly. It's indisputable," McNealy added.

Microsoft, he said, is the only company in the world that thinks that compatibility and cross-platform interoperability are bad for its customers. "And I haven't met a customer who said 'I hate when my computers talk to each other,'" McNealy said.

He also explained that Sun is suing Microsoft for the same reasons that Coca-Cola Co. would sue a bottler that put three drops of poison in every Coke bottle they made: breach of contract.

"If Coca-Cola were to make you an authorized bottler, they would say you must ship Coca-Cola with the following formula and put the proper logo on it. Well, what Microsoft did was to use part of the Java formula and put three drops of poison in it. When you mix Java and poison, you get Windows," he said.

Sun argues that Microsoft has a Windows virtual machine, not a Java virtual machine, so Microsoft can't use the Java logo on its virtual machine.

"If you want to write an application using Java code, you don't need a license. There are a million programmers out there using Java who haven't paid us a penny and we haven't sued them," McNealy said.

Sun does charge a license fee to those people who want to build a platform -- be it an operating system, a browser, a consumer electronics product or a phone -- that will run Java applications, and demands certain requirements and responsibilities of them. Microsoft violated their licensing agreement, McNealy said.

McNealy also predicted that five years from now, most people will be amazed they ever owned a PC. The need for full-fledged PCs with lots of local storage will continue to decrease as phone companies and other service providers begin hosting data for users in their servers, according to McNealy. Already, there are companies that provide this service, he said.

"It's like in the old days -- everybody had an answering machine at home. Now, most people use a centralized phone answering environment managed by the phone company," McNealy said.

"I've got a Java Station in my office. It's got no hard disk, no floppy (drive), no CD-ROM (unit), no fan. No fan! It's really quiet. I'll never put another noisemaker in my office," he joked.

McNealy made his comments during a question-and-answer session with reporters. During his one-day stay in Venezuela, McNealy met with business partners and customers, a spokeswoman said. His trip to Caracas wraps up a week-long Latin America swing that also included stops in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and Buenos Aires, Argentina, where he inaugurated Argentina's first Authorized Center for Java Computing.

There are 10 Java Authorized Centers in Latin America for clients to get advice on using Java, the company said. Sun has six full-fledged subsidiaries in Latin America -- in Colombia, Argentina, Venezuela, Mexico, Brazil and Chile -- and 87 distributors and resellers throughout the region, the company said.

sure - you can either be a college drop-out or a college graduate. each has its strength and weakness. as long as you are good at one thing.... you most likely can make money out of it.

Rather pointless to discuss if he should've stayed in school or not. He made his money. Gobs of it.

Rather pointless to discuss if he should've stayed in school or not. He made his money. Gobs of it.

Like I said - it has its strength and weakness. Bill Gates - a college drop-out lost wars against college-educated Scott McNeely (Java), Sergey Brin & Lawrence Page (Google), and Jerry Yang & David Filo (Yahoo).

So are you telling us that we should drop out of colleges and we'd get rich like Bill Gates (or close to it)? Do you realize that these kind of people represent an extremely extremely extremely tiny percentage of successful people?

Back