Deafhood

Status
Not open for further replies.
"embrace Deafhood" ....capital "D"... even if it's "d" the idea is still there that one would need to embrace it. Or is this really about cultural assimilation instead? The American version?

I don't even need to go there. My journey is what it is.

You really are an argumentative fellow. No one is saying that you have to embrace anything. Your journey, your own choice.

that is sad news terrible on on reading comments that is whoa!

What the fuck I am reading? Do you understand what she said?

It is empowering when one stops idenitfying oneself as a "broken" hearing person (no longer consider oneself as a hearing person wannabe or something) and embrace Deafhood (to find the acceptence of being deaf with no shame -- NOT THE DEAF COMMUNITY).

It could be same for others who don't want to be part of the Deaf community and are still part of Deafhood. Because the definition does say it can be anybody in the Deafhood. Oral, ASL, or else. Not matter! Well, sure, there are some people still feel ashame for her disability/deafness. That doesn't mean they're not part of the Deafhood...

You think Deafhood is silly, all right.

You don't believe in oppression or audism, all right.

You believe the hearing sense is more important than deafness, okay.

You believe in being hearing person is more easier, that is fine.

You don't want to be part of Deaf Culture, no problem.

To me, you just feel offended by one word, "Deafhood", because you think it is silly because it does not matter to you. That is why you came here and made it say so...

I already stated that acknowledging one's own hearing loss is important whether it's mild hearing loss or profound. Again, throwing around "hearing wannabe" is exactly what I'm avoiding here. I simply say, "No thanks." I understand that each person with a hearing loss is on a journey of his/her own.

No where did I say that discrimination doesn't exist. It clearly does.

Whether hearing is "more important" than deafness is not for me to judge of others. I don't make the distinction of what should be "more important." Not my call. It's personal for each person with a hearing loss.

"Hearing person" is more easier? Why should it matter to me if a person finds it easier listening or hearing? I'm not a hearing person. I just find it easy and convenient for me to hear or listen. Why bother with the VP relay when it's already easy for me to use the phone in the first place, for example, to make my calls? It is certainly much easier that way for me. Why should that even bother you?

As for Deaf culture, I have my druthers and preferences. What does not wanting to be a part of Deaf culture has to do with "Deafhood" in the first place? Why even bother bringing that up? Is that a measuring stick you're bringing up?

I am part of the deaf community, the hearing community, the hard of hearing community and even the Deaf community. Now, I must pick and chose? NO. I'm pretty comfortable where I am. If you're comfortable where you are, then should count for something.

You really are an argumentative fellow. No one is saying that you have to embrace anything. Your journey, your own choice.

Tell them that.

Saying "embrace Deafhood" isn't necessary.

I already stated that acknowledging one's own hearing loss is important whether it's mild hearing loss or profound. Again, throwing around "hearing wannabe" is exactly what I'm avoiding here. I simply say, "No thanks." I understand that each person with a hearing loss is on a journey of his/her own.

With your logic, then I should avoid to say deaf wannabe, black wannabe, white wannabe, wolf wannabe, and etc etc. Now, that's just ridiculous.

No where did I say that discrimination doesn't exist. It clearly does.

Whether hearing is "more important" than deafness is not for me to judge of others. I don't make the distinction of what should be "more important." Not my call. It's personal for each person with a hearing loss.

"Hearing person" is more easier? Why should it matter to me if a person finds it easier listening or hearing? I'm not a hearing person. I just find it easy and convenient for me to hear or listen. Why bother with the VP relay when it's already easy for me to use the phone in the first place, for example, to make my calls? It is certainly much easier that way for me. Why should that even bother you?

No, that don't bother me but whatever you say.

As for Deaf culture, I have my druthers and preferences. What does not wanting to be a part of Deaf culture has to do with "Deafhood" in the first place? Why even bother bringing that up? Is that a measuring stick you're bringing up?

I am part of the deaf community, the hearing community, the hard of hearing community and even the Deaf community. Now, I must pick and chose? NO. I'm pretty comfortable where I am. If you're comfortable where you are, then should count for something.

Do you realize no one tell you to pick and choose among three communities?

As BecLek's post that you replied to. No, no, and no... Shel90 didn't say YOU HAVE TO EMBRACE DEAFHOOD! She said some people find Deafhood through the Deaf community, the deaf community, or even hard-of-hearing community. That depends on locals and/or regions. And then, they starts to embrace the idea of "being deaf is not bad thing" through Deafhood...

If you reject Deafhood and don't want to do with it, fine. The definition of deafhood still stands and that does not make you have to accept it.

I guess I'm done here.

Do you realize no one tell you to pick and choose among three communities?

As BecLek's post that you replied to. No, no, and no... Shel90 didn't say YOU HAVE TO EMBRACE DEAFHOOD! She said some people find Deafhood through the Deaf community, the deaf community, or even hard-of-hearing community. That depends on locals and/or regions. And then, they starts to embrace the idea of "being deaf is not bad thing" through Deafhood...

If you reject Deafhood and don't want to do with it, fine. The definition of deafhood still stands and that does not make you have to accept it.

I guess I'm done here.

Keep in mind that coconuts are pretty thick.

People either acknowledge they have a hearing loss or not. Acknowledging it means they have accepted it. That's empowering right there. If they feel the need to have a hearing aid, so be it. If not, so be it. There is no need to put a label over their heads on what their journey is.

The word "Deafhood" with a capital "D" is the same concept as the word "Deaf" which has to do with deaf cultural identity. That is not congruous with the definition you and others have defined for all those with hearing loss and their journey.

People either acknowledge they have a hearing loss or not. Acknowledging it means they have accepted it. That's empowering right there. If they feel the need to have a hearing aid, so be it. If not, so be it. There is no need to put a label over their heads on what their journey is.

The word "Deafhood" with a capital "D" is the same concept as the word "Deaf" which has to do with deaf cultural identity. That is not congruous with the definition you and others have defined for all those with hearing loss and their journey.
And?

get the original book, by Paddy Ladd, not cheap but it has a lot of ideas floating about in it, the book itself is not that well organised but it was 'first of the kind' he was simply attemping to bring the fragmented deaf/Deaf people into a consolidated group, very ambitious largely because everyone has their own ideas of what is 'being deaf' is about..but this concept of Deafhood is exactly that, about recognising the differences in spectrums and experiences and as yet recognising the similarity of deaf oppression across the board which in theory should bring to gether so deaf/Deaf becomes DEAF, so we have power to make ourselves heard..and demands rights...where we were denied for so long , even right now we are worse of than blacks, gays, feminists you know why?
its simple, they are HEARING< NOT DEAF......

I have the book, but gosh...it is a graduate level reading and it makes me go zzzzzzzz. I know Deafhood is an interesting subject but I wish it was in a more causal format. Thanks.

Made me think since becoming bilateral deaf-December 20,2006-am I into "deafhood"? Never heard of this term before.

Is this another intermural exercise -who is real deaf?

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I think Ladd's point is...everyone has his/her own journey into deafhood. It does not matter when or how. It's a process to explain to yourself and each other your own existence in the world.

Here is my perspective...while drphil began his journey into deafhood many years ago when he first experienced hearing loss, he has yet to take a step on the road of Deafhood as conceptualized by Paddy Ladd.

It is going to look to many as if we disagree on this. I just wanted to point out that we are not in disagreement...it is a matter of deafhood as in a physical loss and Deafhood as in a cultural identity.

Actually, he is just starting the "process".

Tell them that.

Saying "embrace Deafhood" isn't necessary.

a BIG W_R_O_N_G ,

coconut you seem to have very low quotent for comprehension or more accurately, YOU Describes yourself as an apparent audist who dont like anything associated with Deaf Life, you want to pander along with the hearies - by all means go please yourself but if you want to be an argumentive asshole, by all means LEAVE, and dont returm to AD...

after all it seems clear that you dont even like us, nor like yourself.
Embracing something that gives hope is something that is common for all human endevenour to overcome struggle of any kind.

you have a very marose kind og personality, no body gonna like you
get over it, and start accepting other peoples point of view or you'd die alone as a bitter old crone.

I have the book, but gosh...it is a graduate level reading and it makes me go zzzzzzzz. I know Deafhood is an interesting subject but I wish it was in a more causal format. Thanks.

told ya so, its heavy stuff and thats what i said before, very few people would truely understand the fuss..this is why is little understood...and hence many d/Deaf is NOT catching on....would like to see more d/Deaf academics expand and develop deafhood ideas further

told ya so, its heavy stuff and thats what i said before, very few people would truely understand the fuss..this is why is little understood...and hence many d/Deaf is NOT catching on....would like to see more d/Deaf academics expand and develop deafhood ideas further

I agree. I just wanted to know if there was any good vlogs describing deafhood, etc. I know Ladd's book but I would still like a simple vlog describing Deafhood so that I could include in one of my lectures when I am describing Deaf Culture, etc to hearing audience.

Everyone's journey is diffident. My journey into the DeafBlind is one that many do not get to experience. I am selective with whom I touch and speak to(often too selective)

I dont like mainstream anything. Although my appearance is mainstream(I love dressing up). Most Deaf, Deafblind denied the existence(in the local area) of Deaf skinheads but they do exist.

I do have mainstreamish D/deaf D/deafblind friends as well.

But the question is does make my experience any less valid?

Everyone's journey is diffident. My journey into the DeafBlind is one that many do not get to experience. I am selective with whom I touch and speak to(often too selective)

I dont like mainstream anything. Although my appearance is mainstream(I love dressing up). Most Deaf, Deafblind denied the existence(in the local area) of Deaf skinheads but they do exist.

I do have mainstreamish D/deaf D/deafblind friends as well.

But the question is does make my experience any less valid?

No. Your experience is unique. Each of our own journey is unique. Yours are just as valid as the person living with mild hearing loss.

It is empowering when one stops idenitfying oneself as a "broken" hearing person (no longer consider oneself as a hearing person wannabe or something) and embrace Deafhood (to find the acceptence of being deaf with no shame -- NOT THE DEAF COMMUNITY).
It doesn't necessarily have to be "one or the other". One could still embrace the hearing world and still not necessarily perceive themselves as a "broken hearing person".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back