Deafhood

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand exactly what you are saying, but Paddy is not a politician or an activist, really. He is a sociologist. He observes, breaks down, and describes the phenomena he studies. Agreed, however, that he needs to enlist those with a more political and acctivist bent. Personally, I think he is really a gifted thinker.

so am I

Okay, I put it on my wish list.

indeed wishlist, but its also quite expensive so you've been warned..great book though, its basically a treatise, that is, its not quite a theory as fully intact per se, but a great start, anattempt to amalgamate the broad spectrum of deaf lifestyles.level.oppression and the need to overcome false pride...into the real Deaf Pride....to which becomes a force to be reckoned with for actual political moves in future which really would alleviate d/Deaf people lives

indeed wishlist, but its also quite expensive so you've been warned..great book though, its basically a treatise, that is, its not quite a theory as fully intact per se, but a great start, anattempt to amalgamate the broad spectrum of deaf lifestyles.level.oppression and the need to overcome false pride...into the real Deaf Pride....to which becomes a force to be reckoned with for actual political moves in future which really would alleviate d/Deaf people lives

Except for the fact I have to save to buy it, the important point is that you and other people whose opinions I respect believe it is worth the price.

I didn't say it wasn't empowering. I asked how can it be empowering. Two different things there.

And, yes, you attempted to surmise what my journey is - "Many have gone through that journey. Maybe not you but others have." This journey isn't supposed to be a measuring stick. Yet, there you go. I refuse to go there since it's a deeply personal journey to begin with for each of us. It is not supposed to be a measurement of who is Deaf and who is not but the distinction is there when people try and determine that. And people try and use that as a "measuring stick" then that's where the labeling comes in.

Don't twist her posts. That is not what she said...

She said your journey may not have any experience like theirs but for the others. They do have theirs but not all. Hence her mention "many" instead "all". Sure, there are some journeys may be like yours. Similarity, yes. But for the others, no. That is why there are various journeys in Deafhood, ASL or not.

Really, I don't see anyone tell what to do with their journeys here.

Except for the fact I have to save to buy it, the important point is that you and other people whose opinions I respect believe it is worth the price.

You can get it used at Half.com for about $28

its worth it, might be better if you check in the local library if they are a good library you might even suggest them to get it...

She said your journey may not have any experience like theirs but for the others. They do have theirs but not all. Hence her mention "many" instead "all". Sure, there are some journeys may be like yours. Similarity, yes. But for the others, no. That is why there are various journeys in Deafhood, ASL or not.

Thank you for the nice support. :hug:

its worth it, might be better if you check in the local library if they are a good library you might even suggest them to get it...

That is such a nice fantasy.

But hey, we do have a local library and we hope to keep it.

I didn't say it wasn't empowering. I asked how can it be empowering. Two different things there.

And, yes, you attempted to surmise what my journey is - "Many have gone through that journey. Maybe not you but others have." This journey isn't supposed to be a measuring stick. Yet, there you go. I refuse to go there since it's a deeply personal journey to begin with for each of us. It is not supposed to be a measurement of who is Deaf and who is not but the distinction is there when people try and determine that. And people try and use that as a "measuring stick" then that's where the labeling comes in.

The thing is that when you have gone through a journey -- Any journey -- You find you have an innate connection with other people who have traveled the same road as you.

People who have survived a journey, particularly a difficult or threatening one, do tend to label themselves and tend to label those who are "not us." They often join clubs or form groups. Some of these groups are conscious, other times they are subconscious.

In any case if you are not accepted by a group, or you do not accept a group, you have a clear indication your journey has not been the same as theirs.

If that's the case, then there was no need to surmise whether I am on a journey or not since I am in one anyway. We all are. And it's personal. There is no need to embrace "deafhood" as a prerequisite in order to be on that particular "journey." Again, it becomes a measuring stick. More labels if you will.

Shel said, "It is empowering when one stops idenitfying oneself as a "broken" hearing person and embrace Deafhood."

Hearing loss varies from mild to profound. Some are born with hearing loss. Others acquire it later in life. Maybe it's hearing loss in one ear or both. Each of us function differently and we do acknowledge our hearing loss (at least most of us do). And that's important. If they function extremely well with hearing aids or cochlear implants and are satisfied, who am I to say about that person's journey? I can't and I don't want to. They see themselves as people with a hearing loss whether they call themselves as hearing impaired, deaf, partially deaf, partially hearing, hard of hearing, or Deaf. Not my call. Not anybody's. No such thing as anti-deafhood, either.

That is such a nice fantasy.

what you mean by 'fantasy' are you saying Deafhood is some kind of too 'idealistic'? you cant say it if you havent read the book...or nor understand it properly, in fact i believer few deaf people actually understands it..fewer still for hearing people, its really quite dependent on how you think , but that i mean 'exactly as that, it depends how well you understand the 'social problems and how you actually interprets the grassroots of Deaf culture...

marxism is such a nice fantasy, again very few sociology bigwigs/students REALLY understands it, i mean like most sociology students 'will udnerstand the 'concept' but will quickly dismiss it as 'idealistic and not 'workable'..without much thoughts...

hope you get my drift there..

what you mean by 'fantasy' are you saying Deafhood is some kind of too 'idealistic'? you cant say it if you havent read the book...or nor understand it properly, in fact i believer few deaf people actually understands it..fewer still for hearing people, its really quite dependent on how you think , but that i mean 'exactly as that, it depends how well you understand the 'social problems and how you actually interprets the grassroots of Deaf culture...

marxism is such a nice fantasy, again very few sociology bigwigs/students REALLY understands it, i mean like most sociology students 'will udnerstand the 'concept' but will quickly dismiss it as 'idealistic and not 'workable'..without much thoughts...

hope you get my drift there..

I think Berry was talking about the library having the book or having an actual library. See his comment:

got a feeling that his community is about to lose their library?

I think Berry was talking about the library having the book or having an actual library. See his comment:

got a feeling that his community is about to lose their library?

hmm , sorry now i get it, yeah thats sad, library are the heartbeat of the community, yeah that would be awful to lose the library, fingers crossed that they don't.

If that's the case, then there was no need to surmise whether I am on a journey or not since I am in one anyway. We all are. And it's personal. There is no need to embrace "deafhood" as a prerequisite in order to be on that particular "journey." Again, it becomes a measuring stick. More labels if you will.

Shel said, "It is empowering when one stops idenitfying oneself as a "broken" hearing person and embrace Deafhood."

Hearing loss varies from mild to profound. Some are born with hearing loss. Others acquire it later in life. Maybe it's hearing loss in one ear or both. Each of us function differently and we do acknowledge our hearing loss (at least most of us do). And that's important. If they function extremely well with hearing aids or cochlear implants and are satisfied, who am I to say about that person's journey? I can't and I don't want to. They see themselves as people with a hearing loss whether they call themselves as hearing impaired, deaf, partially deaf, partially hearing, hard of hearing, or Deaf. Not my call. Not anybody's. No such thing as anti-deafhood, either.

Shel was responding to your query on how Deafhood could possibly empower someone. She stated how she viewed it. She was saying that perhaps you did not view it that way but each to his own.
There has been no labeling here just defining what Deafhood means to each person.

Shel was responding to your query on how Deafhood could possibly empower someone. She stated how she viewed it. She was saying that perhaps you did not view it that way but each to his own.
There has been no labeling here just defining what Deafhood means to each person.

Thank you for the kind words.That is exactly what I mean. :ty:

The thing is that when you have gone through a journey -- Any journey -- You find you have an innate connection with other people who have traveled the same road as you.

People who have survived a journey, particularly a difficult or threatening one, do tend to label themselves and tend to label those who are "not us." They often join clubs or form groups. Some of these groups are conscious, other times they are subconscious.

In any case if you are not accepted by a group, or you do not accept a group, you have a clear indication your journey has not been the same as theirs.

The mere act of accepting one over the other can become a measuring stick...thus to the point of "embracing" it. That need to be acknowledged. Sure, we have similar experiences and they may overlap widely or intimately, sometimes seemingly mutually exclusive but a tenuous connection may be there. Our journey is still unique and personal. Ideological concept has no place for it or else it'll turn into a labeling game. I say no thanks to that. Why do I need a label to define my journey?

What the fuck I am reading? Do you understand what she said?

It is empowering when one stops idenitfying oneself as a "broken" hearing person (no longer consider oneself as a hearing person wannabe or something) and embrace Deafhood (to find the acceptence of being deaf with no shame -- NOT THE DEAF COMMUNITY).

It could be same for others who don't want to be part of the Deaf community and are still part of Deafhood. Because the definition does say it can be anybody in the Deafhood. Oral, ASL, or else. Not matter! Well, sure, there are some people still feel ashame for her disability/deafness. That doesn't mean they're not part of the Deafhood...

You think Deafhood is silly, all right.

You don't believe in oppression or audism, all right.

You believe the hearing sense is more important than deafness, okay.

You believe in being hearing person is more easier, that is fine.

You don't want to be part of Deaf Culture, no problem.

To me, you just feel offended by one word, "Deafhood", because you think it is silly because it does not matter to you. That is why you came here and made it say so...

"embrace Deafhood" ....capital "D"... even if it's "d" the idea is still there that one would need to embrace it. Or is this really about cultural assimilation instead? The American version?

I don't even need to go there. My journey is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back