Deafhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

missywinks

Reaction score
Hi, There is lots of good resources on the internet on information about Deafhood. I am wondering if anyone can suggest a good video/vlog or a short article on Deafhood? Thanks!

Hi, There is lots of good resources on the internet on information about Deafhood. I am wondering if anyone can suggest a good video/vlog or a short article on Deafhood? Thanks!

Have you taken the class? I did a year ago.. For most people, it's a eye-opener.

get the original book, by Paddy Ladd, not cheap but it has a lot of ideas floating about in it, the book itself is not that well organised but it was 'first of the kind' he was simply attemping to bring the fragmented deaf/Deaf people into a consolidated group, very ambitious largely because everyone has their own ideas of what is 'being deaf' is about..but this concept of Deafhood is exactly that, about recognising the differences in spectrums and experiences and as yet recognising the similarity of deaf oppression across the board which in theory should bring to gether so deaf/Deaf becomes DEAF, so we have power to make ourselves heard..and demands rights...where we were denied for so long , even right now we are worse of than blacks, gays, feminists you know why?
its simple, they are HEARING< NOT DEAF......

I have been familiar with Paddy Ladd for years and his "movement". I have read everything I could and attended 2 seminars. I agree so stongly with most of what he says but feel he is SO demanding and even condensending that he is missing the part he needs to accomplish what he wants because of his lack of knowledge or organization and politics that will be needed to implement and accomplish the "law" he is so eager to have passed.He is not an american citizen which I have no problem with. I admire the man for his passion but he needs to surround himself with some more savvy type political deaf supporters. A hard task for sure! I also do not like the word Deafhood. That's just me but it makes me invision the deaf covering up (the hood part) when I think we should be organized with pride and facts and legal demands. Not just shouting we've been wronged , now make it right! I say throw off the hood, the symbol of hiding and covering up things. and yes I know his intention is that we are all in one big neighborhood, I get that. It just doesn't work for me...but that's just me....Midnight♥♥♥

hmm kind of agree, he's a bit of a dreamer...
needs a more practical slant to make the whole thinking 'rounded' and more plausible...

Made me think since becoming bilateral deaf-December 20,2006-am I into "deafhood"? Never heard of this term before.

Is this another intermural exercise -who is real deaf?

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Made me think since becoming bilateral deaf-December 20,2006-am I into "deafhood"? Never heard of this term before.

Basically put, deafhood is your journey in deafness. So, yes.

Yours is vastly different than mine, yet we will experience the same things placed up on us by society.

Each of our own journey is deeply personal.

get the original book, by Paddy Ladd, not cheap but it has a lot of ideas floating about in it, the book itself is not that well organised but it was 'first of the kind' he was simply attemping to bring the fragmented deaf/Deaf people into a consolidated group, very ambitious largely because everyone has their own ideas of what is 'being deaf' is about..but this concept of Deafhood is exactly that, about recognising the differences in spectrums and experiences and as yet recognising the similarity of deaf oppression across the board which in theory should bring to gether so deaf/Deaf becomes DEAF, so we have power to make ourselves heard..and demands rights...where we were denied for so long , even right now we are worse of than blacks, gays, feminists you know why?
its simple, they are HEARING< NOT DEAF......

I agree. If one wants an in depth understanding of the concept of Deafhood, they really need to read Paddy's book.

I have been familiar with Paddy Ladd for years and his "movement". I have read everything I could and attended 2 seminars. I agree so stongly with most of what he says but feel he is SO demanding and even condensending that he is missing the part he needs to accomplish what he wants because of his lack of knowledge or organization and politics that will be needed to implement and accomplish the "law" he is so eager to have passed.He is not an american citizen which I have no problem with. I admire the man for his passion but he needs to surround himself with some more savvy type political deaf supporters. A hard task for sure! I also do not like the word Deafhood. That's just me but it makes me invision the deaf covering up (the hood part) when I think we should be organized with pride and facts and legal demands. Not just shouting we've been wronged , now make it right! I say throw off the hood, the symbol of hiding and covering up things. and yes I know his intention is that we are all in one big neighborhood, I get that. It just doesn't work for me...but that's just me....Midnight♥♥♥

I understand exactly what you are saying, but Paddy is not a politician or an activist, really. He is a sociologist. He observes, breaks down, and describes the phenomena he studies. Agreed, however, that he needs to enlist those with a more political and acctivist bent. Personally, I think he is really a gifted thinker.

hmm kind of agree, he's a bit of a dreamer...
needs a more practical slant to make the whole thinking 'rounded' and more plausible...

He operates from a conceptual perspective. He just needs someone that has experience in application. It often works that way with social change. Those that have the ability to see and describe the depth of a concept are not the ones that actually apply the concept. It requires different skills and thinking.

No, you have not yet begun your journey into Deafhood.

Basically put, deafhood is your journey in deafness. So, yes.

Yours is vastly different than mine, yet we will experience the same things placed up on us by society.

Here is my perspective...while drphil began his journey into deafhood many years ago when he first experienced hearing loss, he has yet to take a step on the road of Deafhood as conceptualized by Paddy Ladd.

It is going to look to many as if we disagree on this. I just wanted to point out that we are not in disagreement...it is a matter of deafhood as in a physical loss and Deafhood as in a cultural identity.

Here is my perspective...while drphil began his journey into deafhood many years ago when he first experienced hearing loss, he has yet to take a step on the road of Deafhood as conceptualized by Paddy Ladd.

It is going to look to many as if we disagree on this. I just wanted to point out that we are not in disagreement...it is a matter of deafhood as in a physical loss and Deafhood as in a cultural identity.

I see what you mean. And I have to agree.

I see what you mean. And I have to agree.

I knew we were on the same page. It's the others that want to misinterpret posts and start arguments about who believes what and who is on what side.:lol: That is why I clarified.

Americanized Deafhood, or the concept of Deafhood originally devised by Paddy Ladd? The latter, I got a PDF somewhere; I will see if I can find it for you. Don't hold me to it since I am not a very organized person. Sometimes it takes months to find a file, or a book.

Americanized Deafhood, or the concept of Deafhood originally devised by Paddy Ladd? The latter, I got a PDF somewhere; I will see if I can find it for you. Don't hold me to it since I am not a very organized person. .Sometimes it takes months to find a file, or a book

Another thing we have in common.:giggle:

He operates from a conceptual perspective. He just needs someone that has experience in application. It often works that way with social change. Those that have the ability to see and describe the depth of a concept are not the ones that actually apply the concept. It requires different skills and thinking.

yup, and more interested parties to develop the ideas further into something more concrete, i mean 'demonstrated ideas' so it relates more readily to people totally unfamiliar with deafness, disability, and deaf culture...

Americanized Deafhood, or the concept of Deafhood originally devised by Paddy Ladd? The latter, I got a PDF somewhere; I will see if I can find it for you. Don't hold me to it since I am not a very organized person. Sometimes it takes months to find a file, or a book.

i dont wanna hear a 'americanised' version irks, no thanks...
BUT if it covers how it relates to ADA and how it makes Deaf Rights more apparent then I'd be keen to read it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back