Deafhood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my perspective...while drphil began his journey into deafhood many years ago when he first experienced hearing loss, he has yet to take a step on the road of Deafhood as conceptualized by Paddy Ladd.

It is going to look to many as if we disagree on this. I just wanted to point out that we are not in disagreement...it is a matter of deafhood as in a physical loss and Deafhood as in a cultural identity.

I agree. I see Deafhood as cultural identity.

i dont wanna hear a 'americanised' version irks, no thanks...
BUT if it covers how it relates to ADA and how it makes Deaf Rights more apparent then I'd be keen to read it...

Yes, remember folks, Deafhood is international. Just saying.

Basically put, deafhood is your journey in deafness. So, yes.

Yours is vastly different than mine, yet we will experience the same things placed up on us by society.
Up to a point. It's also a question of that different deaf people will have different needs or may handle different situations differently and so forth.

My ongoing journey in dealing with HEARING LOSS is now being reworded as a journey into deafhood?
Really?
Not mentioned by Harlan Lane et al in their book a Journey into the DEAF WORLD

.I don't consider that having become bilaterally deaf since 2006 as other than dealing with Silence which to me is a physical fact not a "ideological premise":wave:

To date my Cochlear Implant has dealth with it.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony Sunnybrook/Toronto activated Aug/07

Last edited:
Each person's own journey in life is a deeply personal one where it cannot be defined by anyone except for the person making that journey. So, there is no need for labeling.

Each person's own journey in life is a deeply personal one where it cannot be defined by anyone except for the person making that journey. So, there is no need for labeling.

You're right. There is no labeling being done.

I wonder????

After reading the comments to this thread i decided to re read Paddy's book.
Before my TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) I was a writer by profession and still consider myself to be. So...I just drafted a letter to Mr Ladd, he gives contact information in the book. and i will send it to each source of contact mentioned. I am going to see if he will agree to meet me for am interview. I
am still on staff with Random House Publishing (which gives me credentials). I told Mr Ladd my story about my journey with deafness and how I thought at the time, being hearing and waking up profoundly deaf,it was the worse possible thing that could happen to me..I was wrong! I am offering to meet him anywhere and would like to videotape the interview with a signed agreement not to share it with anyone but those of us in this small group, all at different points of the journey. I dont know if he will reply or have someone else reply but i also mentioned my affiliation with the Green Party here in the US a grass roots group fighting long and hard to get a real candidate on the ballot that counts. Too many deaf dont even bother to vote or become involved in activism in any way. I believe Mr Ladd will respond.
OMG if he does..I will post his response here for you all to see..if not..I am none the worse for trying. laughing..I want to speak to him personally about people I believe he needs as advisors perhaps, since I know that is where i feel his efforts to bring his concepts "to fruition" are lacking. Who knows??
I will keep you all posted or at least see if he will agree to meet with me..
Wishing everyone Peace and the possibility to throw off the cloak or "hood" as I see it, that many of us feel somehow make us not worthy of the rights everyone else enjoy......Midnight♥♥♥

"Ev'rybody's talkin' 'bout ...Revolution, Evolution, Masturbation, Flagellation, Regulations, Intergrations, Mediations, United Nations , Congatulations..
All we are saying....Is give Peace a Chance
All we are saying....Is give Peace a Chance..." (TY John L.)

Deaf Caroline: Who is real deaf? Interesting question-apparently actually being bilaterally deaf doesn't seem to count UNLESS one's local "deaf community" duly approves.

Consider why are there "deaf militants" and NOT "blind militants"?

Can one have "deafhood" and hear at the same time notwithstanding knowing/using ASL?

Is this another exercise in esoteric "deaf values"?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Implanted

It should not matter at all. Having a "pre-requisite" outside of deafness is simply silly. AG Bell members and advocates, for example, who are deaf/hh and not know a lick of sign language throughout his/her whole life has a journey that is just as valid as the next deaf/hh person that know sign language.

It should not matter at all. Having a "pre-requisite" outside of deafness is simply silly. AG Bell members and advocates, for example, who are deaf/hh and not know a lick of sign language throughout his/her whole life has a journey that is just as valid as the next deaf/hh person that know sign language.

Fine, it doesn't matter to you. It's empowering to others. We can leave it at that.

How can it be empowering? Are you saying it's a measurement?

How can it be empowering? Are you saying it's a measurement?

It is empowering when one stops idenitfying oneself as a "broken" hearing person and embrace Deafhood. Many have gone through that journey. Maybe not you but others have.

It is empowering when one stops idenitfying oneself as a "broken" hearing person and embrace Deafhood. Many have gone through that journey. Maybe not you but others have.

Wearing a hearing aid doesn't mean one is identifying oneself as being "broken." Identifying how one perceives him/herself is a personal one in a journey. Not you or anybody else can make that determination. Sign language is NOT a prerequisite. Nor is being in a Deaf culture. Neither is being able to speak or hear. Or wear cochlear implants. I'm not in the position to tell people whether if they have gone through a "correct" journey like you have surmised about mine. That's exactly what I'm talking about. It's a way of labeling people on the basis of what that journey should be. You are using that as a way to measure people. Hence, the labeling trap.

No thanks.

Wearing a hearing aid doesn't mean one is identifying oneself as being "broken." Identifying how one perceives him/herself is a personal one in a journey. Not you or anybody else can make that determination. Sign language is NOT a prerequisite. Nor is being in a Deaf culture. Neither is being able to speak or hear. Or wear cochlear implants. I'm not in the position to tell people whether if they have gone through a "correct" journey like you have surmised about mine. That's exactly what I'm talking about. It's a way of labeling people on the basis of what that journey should be. You are using that as a way to measure people. Hence, the labeling trap.

No thanks.

You said you didnt consider it empowering. Fine for yourself but others see it differnet. That was what I was referring to so I dont know about any of the stuff you listed as being a perquistion. Didnt say anything about that nor did I surmise about your journey. I was talking about you saying that it is not empowering and I was saying that it was for me.

That's all.

You said you didnt consider it empowering. Fine for yourself but others see it differnet. That was what I was referring to so I dont know about any of the stuff you listed as being a perquistion. Didnt say anything about that nor did I surmise about your journey. I was talking about you saying that it is not empowering and I was saying that it was for me.

That's all.

Amazing how some people have a great need to put other things down.

After reading the comments to this thread i decided to re read Paddy's book.
Before my TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) I was a writer by profession and still consider myself to be. So...I just drafted a letter to Mr Ladd, he gives contact information in the book. and i will send it to each source of contact mentioned. I am going to see if he will agree to meet me for am interview. I
am still on staff with Random House Publishing (which gives me credentials). I told Mr Ladd my story about my journey with deafness and how I thought at the time, being hearing and waking up profoundly deaf,it was the worse possible thing that could happen to me..I was wrong! I am offering to meet him anywhere and would like to videotape the interview with a signed agreement not to share it with anyone but those of us in this small group, all at different points of the journey. I dont know if he will reply or have someone else reply but i also mentioned my affiliation with the Green Party here in the US a grass roots group fighting long and hard to get a real candidate on the ballot that counts. Too many deaf dont even bother to vote or become involved in activism in any way. I believe Mr Ladd will respond.
OMG if he does..I will post his response here for you all to see..if not..I am none the worse for trying. laughing..I want to speak to him personally about people I believe he needs as advisors perhaps, since I know that is where i feel his efforts to bring his concepts "to fruition" are lacking. Who knows??
I will keep you all posted or at least see if he will agree to meet with me..
Wishing everyone Peace and the possibility to throw off the cloak or "hood" as I see it, that many of us feel somehow make us not worthy of the rights everyone else enjoy......Midnight♥♥♥

"Ev'rybody's talkin' 'bout ...Revolution, Evolution, Masturbation, Flagellation, Regulations, Intergrations, Mediations, United Nations , Congatulations..
All we are saying....Is give Peace a Chance
All we are saying....Is give Peace a Chance..." (TY John L.)

Orson Scott Card, a renowned science fiction writer says, "If you write you are a writer. If you are not a good writer you may not sell" (Although there are exceptions). But basically if you write then you are a writer.

That's all.

I didn't say it wasn't empowering. I asked how can it be empowering. Two different things there.

And, yes, you attempted to surmise what my journey is - "Many have gone through that journey. Maybe not you but others have." This journey isn't supposed to be a measuring stick. Yet, there you go. I refuse to go there since it's a deeply personal journey to begin with for each of us. It is not supposed to be a measurement of who is Deaf and who is not but the distinction is there when people try and determine that. And people try and use that as a "measuring stick" then that's where the labeling comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back