Deafhood? No thanks.

Regardless, many feel no need for labeling based on their current condition when it comes to their own personal journey and the challenge they face. It's a personal one. No need to define it.

I understand where you stand.

I don't see no need for any sorts of labeling. But sometimes it works.

Suppose it was a positive label, would you still shrug it off?

For me it is a positive label, so I don't mind it as much.

As I said before, there is no need to label it that focuses on a particular condition....any condition.

The problem here is the focus on hearing loss, and not about the person. Just the reason why we don't see "paralyzedhood," "blindhood," "mentally-challengedhood", "deafhood," "stutterhood", "deaf/blindhood" ...etc.... That's not keeping it simple. It's focusing on what you have or don't have. You're emphasizing on something. Mine and many others' emphasis deals with the person's own journey regardless of what it is without the need to label it. For some reason, people want to label it, define it, and constrain it.

No thanks.

If they want to label their their type of journey, so be it. They may give it another name for it so it can have a nice ring to it. No one need feel they have to make their journey alone. If they did, there would be no support system that would help them embrace their condition.

If they want to label their their type of journey, so be it. They may give it another name for it so it can have a nice ring to it. No one need feel they have to make their journey alone. If they did, there would be no support system that would help them embrace their condition.

Who says a journey is done alone or doesn't involve other people? A journey is a journey, albeit a personal one. How they do about it is up to them.

Who says a journey is done alone or doesn't involve other people? A journey is a journey, albeit a personal one. How they do about it is up to them.

lol, i think you're making too big of a deal out of this. some people have their thing, you can simply leave it be. :) Like some of us leave our opinions of what you say/do aside... ;)

A big deal? I'm not the one running around touting "deafhood" at every turn and setting up a foundation, hosting conferences, making a course out of it using that word. Just because I don't care or accept that word does not mean I'm rejecting or denying anything about who I am. My journey is simply my own. A personal one. No need to define it because it is what it is. And nothing more.

A big deal? I'm not the one running around touting "deafhood" at every turn and setting up a foundation, hosting conferences, making a course out of it using that word. Just because I don't care or accept that word does not mean I'm rejecting or denying anything about who I am. My journey is simply my own. A personal one. No need to define it because it is what it is. And nothing more.

but you're the one who got a problem with it.... hence you creating this thread

That was what I was getting at. If anyone really don't care about a certain thing, that person wouldn't make a thread out of it.

Same here but since the issue IS here, let me say, I don't embrace deafhood in the same way some do. My journey is my journey, same as anyone else's. The fact that I don't hear too well is incidental. :giggle:

Same here but since the issue IS here, let me say, I don't embrace deafhood in the same way some do. My journey is my journey, same as anyone else's. The fact that I don't hear too well is incidental. :giggle:

I don't embrace it either. I don't think of the term at all. However I do discuss deaf issues with a ton of people/friends. It's what important for me.

Just putting that in there.

I don't embrace it either. I don't think of the term at all. However I do discuss deaf issues with a ton of people/friends. It's what important for me.

Just putting that in there.

Right, I'll converse about it with you...maybe next week but there might be better things to do. :D

Right, and thread topic says, "Deafhood? No thanks." I also re-iterated in the beginning that they ("deafhood" group) are free to want that word. Equally as well there are those who are free not to have to do anything with "deafhood." They may embrace it (even if it includes the politicization of it) while others don't want anything to do with it. My focus isn't about my hearing loss, it's "incidental" as Tousi said. My journey is defined by many things, not about my hearing loss. However, for "deafhood" groupies their journey is seemingly and exclusively about their hearing loss, hence the word "deaf" in "deafhood."

Right, and thread topic says, "Deafhood? No thanks." I also re-iterated in the beginning that they ("deafhood" group) are free to want that word. Equally as well there are those who are free not to have to do anything with "deafhood." They may embrace it (even if it includes the politicization of it) while others don't want anything to do with it. My focus isn't about my hearing loss, it's "incidental" as Tousi said. My journey is defined by many things, not about my hearing loss. However, for "deafhood" groupies their journey is seemingly and exclusively about their hearing loss, hence the word "deaf" in "deafhood."

Then why bother posting about it? Just curious?

Oh yeah. Bunch of things to do. I'm kinda worried. I am manning three booths this week :shock: So we'll see what happens.

Awww, that'd be too bad if you spread yourself too thin. One good thing about that, tho, is it will be easier to find you. :lol:

Back