Deafhood? No thanks.

How can I? My motto is that deaf/hh people can do anything, including hear. They just need to be better empowered and on equal footing with their hearing counterparts.

in your case - hear and talk can get you there on par with hearies.... hence you contributing to negative images

matter of a fact: several of my friends are throwing away their CI's, or in the process of it because they have found being Deaf is much easier.

matter of a fact: several of my friends are throwing away their CI's, or in the process of it because they have found being Deaf is much easier.

Ok. That's their choice. I know many who continue to keep their CI and still love it and the benefits they still get from it.

How can I? My motto is that deaf/hh people can do anything, including hear. They just need to be better empowered and on equal footing with their hearing counterparts.

I can show you instances on the strip in vegas if you want how I can be equal or above the hearing counterparts of ours, just being deaf. Also empowering ourselves without "abiding to society," or "conforming to society rules"... This way I don't have to waste time trying to speak and hear. Too much effort for me. Amazingly its much easier on the hearing counterparts as well.

Very easy.

I can show you instances on the strip in vegas if you want how I can be equal or above the hearing counterparts of ours, just being deaf. Also empowering ourselves without "abiding to society," or "conforming to society rules"... This way I don't have to waste time trying to speak and hear. Too much effort for me. Amazingly its much easier on the hearing counterparts as well.

Very easy.

Bravo for you!

Ok. That's their choice. I know many who continue to keep their CI and still love it and the benefits they still get from it.

There are deaf people who want to be deaf and there are deaf people who want to hear. I see you have an issue with deaf people heckling deaf people who want to hear. Perhaps you are fighting the wrong battle. In fact - you should ignore it.

There are deaf people who want to be deaf and there are deaf people who want to hear. I see you have an issue with deaf people heckling deaf people who want to hear. Perhaps you are fighting the wrong battle. In fact - you should ignore it.

And if anyone say that's deafhood is about, then others should call them out and tell them deafhood is not about heckling deaf people who want to hear.

But they are perfectly allowed to feel whatever they feel.. (analogy alert) just like a mother is allowed to bottlefeed while another mother may say "use those breasts, they are made for feeding babies" but she can not say tell another mother that she is not part of motherhood because she bottlefeeds. That's not what motherhood is about.

And if anyone say that's deafhood is about, then others should call them out and tell them deafhood is not about heckling deaf people who want to hear.

But they are perfectly allowed to feel whatever they feel.. (analogy alert) just like a mother is allowed to bottlefeed while another mother may say "use those breasts, they are made for feeding babies" but she can not say tell another mother that she is not part of motherhood because she bottlefeeds. That's not what motherhood is about.

Exactly what I am saying as well, and the opposite is true.

I am honestly sick and tired of CI people trying to tell me to use CI. I am labeled, quite appropriately, a big ahole, when it comes to CI Oralists that try to push their opinions onto me.

I simply respect them for who they are and not about what they are and whether they lack something or have something. No need to label or define the person undergoing his/her own personal journey.

I simply respect them for who they are and not about what they are and whether they lack something or have something. No need to label or define the person undergoing his/her own personal journey.

Again... if it's that small of an issue, why bother bringing it up?

Again... if it's that small of an issue, why bother bringing it up?

It's kind of like this whole "not deaf enough" thing when it comes to so called "standards." People need to be reminded or informed that such a measuring stick is quite silly when people focus on the "deaf" word so much. It'd be just as silly to call it "hard-of-hearinghood." It's just a hearing loss. Each of us adapt to it differently and who we associate with.

you just proved my case. and PFH's case.

It's kind of like this whole "not deaf enough" thing when it comes to so called "standards." People need to be reminded or informed that such a measuring stick is quite silly when people focus on the "deaf" word so much. It'd be just as silly to call it "hard-of-hearinghood." It's just a hearing loss. Each of us adapt to it differently and who we associate with.

you mean it is silly to be call deafless...not hard-of-hearinghood

Back