Deaf child hears for the first time

Care to explain WHY less than 10% of hearing parents with Deaf child learn signs? At least 90% are not willing to learn sign and communicate with their own Deaf child?

They probably don't need to sign..

Without my hearing aids I can still understand everything my parents say.
I don't think they're NOT willing to learn sign language, they learn it at first and then it just peters out over time cos it's not needed in some cases.

You think so? You think it is OK to oppress Deaf child? Interesting!

AND please prove me you can talk normally on phone with anyone not just parents?

I don't think they're NOT willing to learn sign language, they learn it at first and then it just peters out over time cos it's not needed in some cases.

AND please prove me you can talk normally on phone with anyone not just parents?

apparently that he has not taste the Deaf world yet. Guess he gets use to saying " huh what, im sorry I can't hear you what did you say?" I do not want the kind of way lifestyle is. no thanks.

apparently that he has not taste the Deaf world yet. Guess he gets use to saying " huh what, im sorry I can't hear you what did you say?" I do not want the kind of way lifestyle is. no thanks.

Perhaps that is not his experience. It certainly isn't mine.

In my state, CI is more based on classes because it is rare for child from low income families to receive CI because Medicaid/VR won't cover at all. Most of time, I usually see child with CI that come from middle class or high class.

Most low income families sent their deaf child to deaf school - that is one of strong ASL presence - it is mandatory to use ASL as primary communication.

How is that oppression? I can hold a full conversation with my parents with no sign language at all.

As for talking on the phone, I can understand family and close friends cos I'm used to their voice. I can't understand strangers though, it gets very difficult then.

And Frisky Feline, yes, I have gotten used to asking people to repeat themselves. Sometimes it's embarrassing, sometimes it isn't, It's not my fault.
I can accept my limitations with dignity instead of crying over "oppression".

In my state, CI is more based on classes because it is rare for child from low income families to receive CI because Medicaid/VR won't cover at all. Most of time, I usually see child with CI that come from middle class or high class.

Most low income families sent their deaf child to deaf school - that is one of strong ASL presence - it is mandatory to use ASL as primary communication.

That is sad, especially with so many great charities out there willing to providethem for kids.

That is sad, especially with so many great charities out there willing to providethem for kids.

How is sad? Well, there are not many charities cover it because CI is very expensive, so is speech therapies and rehabilitation are expensive too. Charities are focused on poor people's needs, such as food, clothes, medical issue (diabetes, heart disease, GI issue, stroke, liver disease, kidney problem).

How is sad? Well, there are not many charities cover it because CI is very expensive, so is speech therapies and rehabilitation are expensive too. Charities are focused on poor people's needs, such as food, clothes, medical issue (diabetes, heart disease, GI issue, stroke, liver disease, kidney problem).

There are actually quite a few, and more are being formed daily.

Doctors saying "Im sorry but your child has failed their hearing test" is oppression now?
Maybe it's calling it a failure is the wrong approach. Also, by prefixing the statement with a "sorry" puts whatever follows in a negative perspective.

It would be better if the doctor said, "Let's sit down and discuss your child's test results; we'll go over the scores and I'll explain what they indicate, and then we'll see what options are available to optimize those scores."

"Failing" a test sounds too final and disastrous. It sounds like the doctor is delivering a death sentence. It also sounds like someone did something wrong, or that blame should be assigned, which is not true.

Just my opinion.

How is that oppression? I can hold a full conversation with my parents with no sign language at all.

As for talking on the phone, I can understand family and close friends cos I'm used to their voice. I can't understand strangers though, it gets very difficult then.

And Frisky Feline, yes, I have gotten used to asking people to repeat themselves. Sometimes it's embarrassing, sometimes it isn't, It's not my fault.
I can accept my limitations with dignity instead of crying over "oppression".

At least you did admit that sometimes its embarrassing. That is what I think its not your fault, why feel that way?

I disagree with you about CI give HoH style and the definition of CI sound is pretty unique, that's not same as hearing aid that give a sound.

The CI sound is just louder as natural hearing but... not same as natural hearing due to bionic sounds - robotic.
True. The sound from a CI is not the same as natural hearing. We know this from reports by adults who became deaf late in life, and then got implanted. They were able to compare their pre-deafness hearing with their post-CI hearing, and it was not the same.

It is just like saying prosthetic arm isn't same as natural arm.
True also. A prosthetic limb can perform some of the functions of a natural limb but it will never be the same. It doesn't have the sensations of a natural limb, and the user doesn't wear it 24/7.

All these things can improve the quality of life for some people but they have their limitations.

Maybe it's calling it a failure is the wrong approach. Also, by prefixing the statement with a "sorry" puts whatever follows in a negative perspective.

It would be better if the doctor said, "Let's sit down and discuss your child's test results; we'll go over the scores and I'll explain what they indicate, and then we'll see what options are available to optimize those scores."

"Failing" a test sounds too final and disastrous. It sounds like the doctor is delivering a death sentence. It also sounds like someone did something wrong, or that blame should be assigned, which is not true.

Just my opinion.

Like the last discussion, yes there is probably a better way to say it, I was using the example given.

I actual doubt many Drs say "failed." They most likely give a score.

Last edited:

There are children today who cannot hear language, and they communicate via ASL. Many of them have parents who either don't sign at all or use limited sign-supported speech. Very few have ASL fluent parents. (The numbers are improving but still have a long way to go.)

I'm sorry to tell you that there are parents who will not learn how to sign with their children.

There are actually quite a few, and more are being formed daily.

There are some poor families with deaf child asked charities for help but they couldn't provide a CI due to cost, so they offer alternative, such as hearing aids, cued speech, send to deaf school and use ASL as communication method. They have deal with a lot of problems, especially in my state.

I don't know if you are surprise, we have #1 worst Medicaid program and I had been on AL Medicaid - they cover all mediocre to bad doctors for adults but there are few good doctors for children if you live closer to largest city in state. I never want back on those program again, however CA is on opposite - their program is much better than AL and they cover CI as well. We have very high diabetes rate, thanks to fast growing of obesity rate, but obesity rate is rare in our deaf school due to strict diet regulation that set by state and federal.

I don't see as sad in case with our deaf school. Many students are very happy, despite about strict rules and mandatory uniform - our deaf school was first deaf school that adopted uniform policy in 1998 before spread to other southern states. The education is much better today and they have great program that help students to prepare for college and work. Our VR is very good with help deaf people to get a job, also they offer interpreter to help them on hiring, training and first job. I don't see CI and oral language as necessary to our life.

There are some poor families with deaf child asked charities for help but they couldn't provide a CI due to cost, so they offer alternative, such as hearing aids, cued speech, send to deaf school and use ASL as communication method. They have deal with a lot of problems, especially in my state.

I don't know if you are surprise, we have #1 worst Medicaid program and I had been on AL Medicaid - they cover all mediocre to bad doctors for adults but there are few good doctors for children if you live closer to largest city in state. I never want back on those program again, however CA is on opposite - their program is much better than AL and they cover CI as well. We have very high diabetes rate, thanks to fast growing of obesity rate, but obesity rate is rare in our deaf school due to strict diet regulation that set by state and federal.

I don't see as sad in case with our deaf school. Many students are very happy, despite about strict rules and mandatory uniform - our deaf school was first deaf school that adopted uniform policy in 1998 before spread to other southern states. The education is much better today and they have great program that help students to prepare for college and work. Our VR is very good with help deaf people to get a job, also they offer interpreter to help them on hiring, training and first job. I don't see CI and oral language as necessary to our life.

Point being, even poor families have choices. It is nt important to me which choices they make.

As an interpreter, I've worked with many adults who have CI's. Under ideal conditions (quiet room, one-on-one cover station with a clear speaker, being familiar with the topic), they can get by. Anything outside of that ideal situation requires a signing interpreter for clear comprehension for them.

Not all but many. I've also observed some situations where they thought clear communication was happening without an interpreter, and that really wasn't the case.

Technology is wonderful but it's not everything.

As an interpreter, I've worked with many adults who have CI's. Under ideal conditions (quiet room, one-on-one cover station with a clear speaker, being familiar with the topic), they can get by. Anything outside of that ideal situation requires a signing interpreter for clear comprehension for them.

Not all but many. I've also observed some situations where they thought clear communication was happening without an interpreter, and that really wasn't the case.

Technology is wonderful but it's not everything.

The best part of technology is that it is constantly improving.

Back