Deaf child hears for the first time

The only thing I can add to this thread is that I have a former co-worker whose son is deaf. It was unexpected (no family history.) He's now 8. I had quit working where I had worked with her, but we stayed in touch after. She told me about getting him the CI and that they were NOT going to introduce ASL. To this day, they still haven't introduced ASL. So even as recent as of 8 years ago, people were still telling parents not to use ASL with a CI child.

See that's about the same time as the little girl I knew was implanted and they were all learning ASL. And no, I'm not going to tell you it wasn't true. You have a specific story you not making general claims. Most of the people on this site are adults, and they went through exactly that, discouragement of ASL, I'm assuming because they did have some hearing, enough to be aided. It's extremely unfortunate, but I think it caused understandable resentment and bitterness in some people and that it colors their view. Things are changing though, as they are bound to. I suppose it hasn't changed everywhere, I don't know. But given my, granted limited, experience and from what parents on here have shared, things are changing. It's a different world now than when these adult posters were children.

I'm wondering though was this a personal choice of the family or did the doctors and audi's discourage it?

This is what oppression means...

The Dr has no power. He is only giving his opinion. It is up to parents to decide if they will accept that opinion or seek more advice.

Some doctors still don't. they did put negative comments on Deaf community like what they told my parents.

Yup, here in USA, in order to get social security disability check, need to have doctor proof that one is disabled nothing else. Mind you, I had to come back and open new SSD case, even though there is note that I was born Deaf, they don't believe it, and refer me to Doctor to prove that I am Deaf, wow Doctor opinion more powerful than whats said on paper.

a Dr's recommendation IS power... think of all this court and mental health issues. it is exactly the same. A Doctor's persusaion IS a form of oppression, only off-sided...on other hand, Doctors Never see it as cruel because they truely believe it is praiseworthy to help parents to 'cure' their deaf child by science..

even the parents believe its not cruel, just hard work...however when problems arises...its comes back as a hindsight..that maybe...it was a mistake...innocent as it appears...but the drills of learning a language or two...particularly at how deaf children have to work incredibly hard just to scrap along and Still falls behind in bid to try please everyone
so...something tells me that is not right

Yup, here in USA, in order to get social security disability check, need to have doctor proof that one is disabled nothing else. Mind you, I had to come back and open new SSD case, even though there is note that I was born Deaf, they don't believe it, and refer me to Doctor to prove that I am Deaf, wow Doctor opinion more powerful than whats said on paper.

it is the same here too

even court cases...murder cases, or placement to education institutions or even entrance to jobs, hell probably very likely to entrance to armed or civil public services work...

medicalisation isnt just on 'imperfections' or
impaired bodies' but also to sort 'the ideals' for dangerous work or security based work..

I know somewhat going off point but this is to show how powerful doctor can be. Few New Yorkers know this and it had happened about a year ago.
There was court going on for wrongful death and that was caused by car accident. The survived driver had blood content THC, which means he had smoked weeds and is on narcotic pain killer (not sure which one). The problem is THC content was very low. Defendant attorney challenged and had got doctor coming in for his own opinion whether the THC content would have clouded the drivers ability to drive. The doctor's verdict was, there is no absolute threshold that would impair the driving skill, just like BAC of .08 which considered legally drunk, for THC, there wasn't even set threshold, BAM! Case thrown out and that driver walks free. All based on Doctor's testimony, wow!

I know somewhat going off point but this is to show how powerful doctor can be. Few New Yorkers know this and it had happened about a year ago.
There was court going on for wrongful death and that was caused by car accident. The survived driver had blood content THC, which means he had smoked weeds and is on narcotic pain killer (not sure which one). The problem is THC content was very low. Defendant attorney challenged and had got doctor coming in for his own opinion whether the THC content would have clouded the drivers ability to drive. The doctor's verdict was, there is no absolute threshold that would impair the driving skill, just like BAC of .08 which considered legally drunk, for THC, there wasn't even set threshold, BAM! Case thrown out and that driver walks free. All based on Doctor's testimony, wow!

wow, thanks for sharing that interesting piece...yes we better get back on track, have a good day!
:cheers:

A) That is a completely different situation. :lol:

B) Even in this story the doctor had no power. The power was with the judge/jury who applied the information.

A) That is a completely different situation. :lol:

B) Even in this story the doctor had no power. The power was with the judge/jury who applied the information.

no, its not, when a 'unique situation' occurs the Judge seeks advice...that advice, in turns, become used as to overturn where the advice came from, the trusted long-standing medical institution which the Doctor represented and called upon...then the Judge 'as have power to endorse' an opinion. nevertheless notwithstanding, the doctor's reccommendation is still an excercise of power. Similarly, this occurs often when governements are at odds on a finanical decision, then an advice coming from a representative of a company or a amalagation of businesses, or an association..provided an adivce then the government endorses it and carry it out...this demonstrates that business sometimes do have more powers over governements.

It is an illusion to think otherwise.

no, its not, when a 'unique situation' occurs the Judge seeks advice...that advice, in turns, become used as to overturn where the advice came from, the trusted long-standing medical institution which the Doctor represented and called upon...then the Judge 'as have power to endorse' an opinion. nevertheless notwithstanding, the doctor's reccommendation is still an excercise of power. Similarly, this occurs often when governements are at odds on a finanical decision, then an advice coming from a representative of a company or a amalagation of businesses, or an association..provided an adivce then the government endorses it and carry it out...this demonstrates that business sometimes do have more powers over governements.

Yes, in the US, the judge is very powerful.

The court could order child to learn oral language instead of ASL because of doctor recommendation say so, so you are correct about doctor recommendation is one of most powerful tool.

There are very few of members here on AD that knows who I am and where I came from and my rich experience. I was in front line of D-deaf community, including hearing, hard of hearing from all walks of life. It was one of best experience I had.

What I see is that Deafness is one of most widely misunderstood disability of all kinds. Not limited to hearing people but D-deaf people too.

When you do more research on this forum, you could find some people with some degree of hearing loss complained about their loved one that don't understand their loss and expect them to work harder and pretend they don't have hearing loss.

I didn't say "unique" I said "different." Those words are not always synonymous.

Yes, in the US, the judge is very powerful.

The court could order child to learn oral language instead of ASL because of doctor recommendation say so, so you are correct about doctor recommendation is one of most powerful tool.

That would be a civil rights violation. It's like saying a court could mandate that someone speak English.

That would be a civil rights violation. It's like saying a court could mandate that someone speak English.

Are you forgetting the recent famous case of the young gitl forced to wear CI because her hearing mother's family wanted it that way?

Back