Deaf child hears for the first time

The short answer is fear. People are afraid that it will destroy things that they believe.

In the past, oral only did not work, because people did not have CI's and good enough hearing aids for it to work effectively. Because of this, a strong movement came about arguing against it for ASL only teaching. This worked well until technology caught up.

Today, there are a lot more people that have HA's and CI's who go the oral route. But, to put a new twist on it, today most people don't believe in a one or the other theory. The prevailing view is a hybrid training method of using both ASL and oral teaching.

Yet, there are still those who will argue for one over the other.

incorrect. it's called false hope. guess what? for over 20 years of CI/HA... it has failed and I don't need to explain why because you are already experiencing it. in fact - you've complained and blamed on your HA for your life misery. a false hope. it should be illegal.

I originally want to be deaf teacher when I was teenager until early adult but I decided to abandon after various research and don't believe to meet my expectation.

Fast growing of oralism in deaf education in some states (especially Utah) influenced on my decision.

Well granted Utah has ALWAYS been strongly oral. Which effing SUCKS!
But I also think that oral ONLY may be dying...there are a lot of Deaf schools that are seeing orally skilled kids transfer to their programs.........

I originally want to be deaf teacher when I was teenager until early adult but I decided to abandon after various research and don't believe to meet my expectation.

Fast growing of oralism in deaf education in some states (especially Utah) influenced on my decision.
I replied to that post of yours above but it was deleted by a mod because it was offensive. I didn't mean to offend you. If you still remember what I said before, I will try my best to interpret my statement. What I wanted to say is don't stop dreaming of becoming a teacher for deaf children who need you because you are a great guy. There are still plenty of deaf schools out there. Oralism isn't taking over yet (maybe in 100 years from now or never). However, that's your choice.

Last edited:
I replied to that post of yours above but it was deleted by a mod because it was offensive. I didn't mean to offend you. If you still remember what I said before, I will try my best to interpret my statement. What I wanted to say is don't stop dreaming of becoming a teacher for deaf children who need you because you are a great guy. There are still plenty of deaf schools out there. Oralism isn't taking over yet (maybe in 100 years from now or never). However, that's your choice.

Ok, I didn't report your post because I don't know it was offensive. I didn't pay attention to your post because I didn't understand about what are you said.

Yes, I don't know about future with ASL and oralism - hard to predict.

I picked IT/Business because of strong interest in my side and hot job market.

I think right now the argument is over which language should be a dhh kid's first language. I have seen some sparks of hope.......HOH kids being exposed to ASL and attending Deaf Ed placements.....CI kids learning both speech and Sign, without speech being a HUGE chore (ie doing the John Tracy course, being enrolled in an oral school, having life be an eternal speech therapy session etc)

Back