Deaf child hears for the first time

This quote is post #463 on the previous page.

That was probably said at a time and place where it turns into a she said/she said (like the saying about he said - she said). How do you suggest getting evidence that will stand up in court?

I still haven't seen anyone with any suggestions of what that teacher could have done in the way of collecting evidence that would hold up in a court case. All I have seen are repeated comment to sue!

And if someone don't side with that victim, then what now? Should she/he keep trying until the victim is utterly screwed up enough to go mad?

:dunno: that is each individuals call I guess. I know that when I believe in something I put an effort behind it. I would much rather try and fail than not try and guarantee failure. When you see a wrong and don't try to correct it.....you have enabled it.

:dunno: that is each individuals call I guess. I know that when I believe in something I put an effort behind it. I would much rather try and fail than not try and guarantee failure. When you see a wrong and don't try to correct it.....you have enabled it.

That's a point. That's not easy when no one will to help someone out.

I still haven't seen anyone with any suggestions of what that teacher could have done in the way of collecting evidence that would hold up in a court case. All I have seen are repeated comment to sue!

1) The witness statement itself is evidence. Even if that is all she has she can at least draw attention to the policy.

2) Collect copies of policy, look for others who may have witnessed this, make recordings....

Remember, this person actually had a job there. She quit that job because she was upset with the policy. Had she remained and brought this policy to light something might have been done about it.

To add: Lawsuits are not always about $ or even winning. Sometimes the purpose is to call attention.

That's a point. That's not easy when no one will to help someone out.

There are always lawyers willing to take a case like this. Lawyers make careers on high profile cases like this. It's a county school district. News would cover it.

1) The witness statement itself is evidence. Even if that is all she has she can at least draw attention to the policy.

2) Collect copies of policy, look for others who may have witnessed this, make recordings....

Remember, this person actually had a job there. She quit that job because she was upset with the policy. Had she remained and brought this policy to light something might have been done about it.

To add: Lawsuits are not always about $ or even winning. Sometimes the purpose is to call attention.

I have a feeling that the first part of your point number 2 can't be done. This is probably NOT something that was ever in written form because the person doing it is likely to realize that it would start problems.

Because you don't know. Your situation could be much less harsh and brutal than theirs. Secondly, you don't know her situation. Everyone is not you.

Some just can't handle a such rough, crueler and/or nasty experiences.

True, I don't know...as for my situation, it was harsh but not "brutal"...and I was young and naive....now I know much better...

She is a teacher, more educated than I and more than likely more savvy with the discrimation law....and feel sure the ADA would have taken up her case and even a good lawyer, pro bono.

I have a feeling that the first part of your point number 2 can't be done. This is probably NOT something that was ever in written form because the person doing it is likely to realize that it would start problems.

I agree. I seriously doubt they wrote "Do not hire deaf people" into the policy. But it is quiet possible that they written policy might support such a belief.

I agree. I seriously doubt they wrote "Do not hire deaf people" into the policy. But it is quiet possible that they written policy might support such a belief.

Even in that type of situation, that policy can be challenged and overturned based on the discriminatory nature of it.

Well, I disagree. I believe that is a biased approach...especially when schools need head counts for funding. There is a clear and obvious motive to distort facts. The proper approach is to give parents a fair and unbiased assessment.

And you don't think that the auditory oral organizations don't do the same thing?
And yes, you're right....there is a clear and obvious motive....to try to SERVE kids the best EARLY ON. Meaning they get EVERYTHING........ASL, English, spoken language services and EVEN maybe Cued Speech as a SUPPLEMENT. Isn't that better to give kids a FULL TOOLBOX early ON?

lots of Deaf schools are closing. I feel bad for those deaf/hoh/Deaf kids are being forced to being in a hearing school or mainstream school. It s like they are losing the identify of who they are.

Actually the last few rounds have been private OPTION auditory oral programs that have closed. And the thing is, that it has to do with inclusion being pushed as a Be All and End All....parents aren't being truely informed about Deaf Schools/programs or they buy into the myth that their kid doesn't "need" ASL b/c they can talk.

lots of Deaf schools are closing. I feel bad for those deaf/hoh/Deaf kids are being forced to being in a hearing school or mainstream school. It s like they are losing the identify of who they are.

On the other hand Frisky, at least there are a lot of oral/HOH kids transferring to Deaf Schools.... You never would have seen that 20 something years ago, or even 10 years ago!

that's incredible, i thought USA is all for rights, that's just rich

I knew it when deaf people weren't getting jobs in the TC and oral only programs. It is f€×|€ ed up! Because they don't have speech skills, they can't teach deaf children? I knew it..people want to see the world through rose colored glasses. It is happening out there. I see it and I get info from my networks. That was just one recent example. I just cannot support that philosophy because it nearly ruined me and others plus the blatant discrimination.

You never know until you try. History books and news shows are filled with people who spoke out against injustice. Saying "ah no one will care" is just an excuse not to try.

And I have spoke out against the oral only philosophy and u and others are all hung ho about parents ` right and allowed other ADErs to attack me for that. What a f€€||| rock of bs If that teacher had spoke out against it u would NOT be on his/her side. U would be all about parental rights . Don't be a hypocrite. U don't care, u just don't. Don't lie.

And you think Shel make it up? I guess our pasts are meant nothing but lousy excuses. :roll:

Of course they think I made either up. Like I said, they don't care. Whatever. They don't want to admit that discrimination does happen to deaf people especially to this who don't have speech skills.

Oh.....I want to add. Our wonderful ADer, Cloggy, even said he would not want a teacher who is deaf who has no speech skills teaching his daughter. He even said that his daughter met a teacher who is deaf who made grunting noises while signing and his daughter stared at her like an alien or something like that because she was not used to it. If I remember correctly, he said that he and his wife removed their daughter from that deaf teacher's presence. So, I asked him if he would ever want a deaf person with no speech skills teaching his child, he said no.

Why the heck are some of you (old ADErs) are shocked that teachers who are deaf themselves don't get hired for TC and oral only programs? U had a parent say it here on and that he doesn't want these deaf people teaching his deaf daughter! And yet you act all shocked and dismayed that such a thing can happen. Hmmmm?

How messed up is that? That is what the whole viewpoint behind the oral only and CI movement brings.

I, as a Deaf person, just cannot support and advocate such discriminatory views like that but YOU aren't helping by your statements. How?

By the way,.. yes, it was hearsay by that teacher who told me. In addition to that, that teacher was not a Deaf ed teacher...but a teacher who teaches specials to hearing kids. That teacher didn't like the practice used by the deaf and hh director. That person doesnt know any ASL. That was why I was amazed what I learned even though I already knew it has been happening all over this country.

Call me a liar.....fine, but it is happening out there with the oral only programs. I just cannot support it.

And I have spoke out against the oral only philosophy and u and others are all hung ho about parents ` right and allowed other ADErs to attack me for that. What a f€€||| rock of bs If that teacher had spoke out against it u would NOT be on his/her side. U would be all about parental rights . Don't be a hypocrite. U don't care, u just don't. Don't lie.

Shel, you are one of most trusted member. :)

Best place to work for deaf teacher - deaf school in our state and audist is nearly nonexistent. All students use full ASL to communicate, including HoH students and they have wonderful ASL program.

Our Medicaid won't cover CI at all and more opportunity for low income deaf students to attend at deaf school, also our lawmakers, including solid south conservatives strongly support our deaf school and they see as have a great value.

I knew it when deaf people weren't getting jobs in the TC and oral only programs. It is f€×|€ ed up! Because they don't have speech skills, they can't teach deaf children? I knew it..people want to see the world through rose colored glasses. It is happening out there. I see it and I get info from my networks. That was just one recent example. I just cannot support that philosophy because it nearly ruined me and others plus the blatant discrimination.

There were (and still are) Deaf teachers and staff at my son's TC school.

I originally want to be deaf teacher when I was teenager until early adult but I decided to abandon after various research and don't believe to meet my expectation.

Fast growing of oralism in deaf education in some states (especially Utah) influenced on my decision.

I originally want to be deaf teacher when I was teenager until early adult but I decided to abandon after various research and don't believe to meet my expectation.

Fast growing of oralism in deaf education in some states (especially Utah) influenced on my decision.
Yea, the situation in Utah is so bad.

Back