Deaf child hears for the first time

I fully agree with this. I also don't think that it has to be so "sided". People believe that they can't have their child obtain a CI AND learn ASL. NOT TRUE!

People don't believe that. They believe parents often are not encouraged to use ASL when the child is implanted with CI.

That's a horrible idea if the goal is to give parents unbiased information for making an educated decision. That is the same as someone from the other side saying that parents should be referred to AG Bell. The best approach obviously is to give parents information on all of their choices and let them decide what is best for their kids.

Actually no. It already happens. Deaf Schools aren't just about voice off ASL only. They serve ALL sorts of kids, and inform parents on ALL options!!!! Plus there are usually quite a few auditory oral skilled or HOH kids who attend Deaf Schools, which then tells the parents that they don't need to pursue an exclusive approach, the way AG Bell implies is the only way to sucess.

I fully agree with this. I also don't think that it has to be so "sided". People believe that they can't have their child obtain a CI AND learn ASL. NOT TRUE!

AND develop good spoken language skills without making it be the be all and the end all of a dhh kid's life, a la Clarke/CID/St. Joseph's/Auditory Verbal Therapy.

Actually no. It already happens. Deaf Schools aren't just about voice off ASL only. They serve ALL sorts of kids, and inform parents on ALL options!!!! Plus there are usually quite a few auditory oral skilled or HOH kids who attend Deaf Schools, which then tells the parents that they don't need to pursue an exclusive approach, the way AG Bell implies is the only way to sucess.

Well, I disagree. I believe that is a biased approach...especially when schools need head counts for funding. There is a clear and obvious motive to distort facts. The proper approach is to give parents a fair and unbiased assessment.

I think a great idea would be automatic referral to the School for the Deaf for parents of newly identified Dhh kids.

yes i think so too, largely because appointments with audiologists, CI team is 'automatic' and thats very ONE sided...so have balance, it should be mandatory for parents to visit some sensible Deaf avocates, not like Sweetminds freakish rants..just someone reasonable and approachable..., hell someone like Shel90!...would be a good start or, DeafBajagal (remmy her?)...

as of now, there is Nothing like unbiases referral...its all medical only view...and its very forceful too

have you tried? the child will know when to talk in sign for more complex conversations or requests which they might not be able to utter in speech yet..that sort of thing...not impossible and i have seen it too

if you're referring to real life, then maybe you've got crap ASL teachers, they need to be Deaf, not hearing teachers of the deaf...

That itself is a fact.

Another reason to ban the oral-only philosophy..

Got this from another teacher at the workshop I am attending this week. That teacher works at Howard County Public Schools. She was telling me that she used to work for Arlington County Public Schools but quit because she didn't agree with their philosophy on deaf ed. I was shocked to learn that because of their philosophy, the director wont hire any teachers who are deaf themselves because they cant meet the needs of the philosophy.

Ohhhhh isn't the oral-only philosophy just WONDERFUL?

U support it...u support the discrimination against deaf people.

Got this from another teacher at the workshop I am attending this week. That teacher works at Howard County Public Schools. She was telling me that she used to work for Arlington County Public Schools but quit because she didn't agree with their philosophy on deaf ed. I was shocked to learn that because of their philosophy, the director wont hire any teachers who are deaf themselves because they cant meet the needs of the philosophy.

that's incredible, i thought USA is all for rights, that's just rich

People don't believe that. They believe parents often are not encouraged to use ASL when the child is implanted with CI.
Do you mean that parents are not encouraged to have their child with CI learn ASL? If so, by whom? The child's doctor or AGBell? That's unacceptable. But there is nothing we can do about it really. We can't control them.

No wonder more deaf schools are closing. OFC, I feel very sad about that. I love my old deaf school in NJ. I will never forget it.

lots of Deaf schools are closing. I feel bad for those deaf/hoh/Deaf kids are being forced to being in a hearing school or mainstream school. It s like they are losing the identify of who they are.

lots of Deaf schools are closing. I feel bad for those deaf/hoh/Deaf kids are being forced to being in a hearing school or mainstream school. It s like they are losing the identify of who they are.
I have heard some people including ADers that they were not happy at their mainstream schools and wished that they went to a deaf school instead. That were their parents' choice, therefore it's between parents and their child. My wife was one of them and my deaf co-worker was one, too. As I mentioned some times ago, they told me that their parents wanted them close everyday regardless of happiness for their deaf children. Obviously the parents couldn't think straight.

I have heard that some people including ADers were not happy at their mainstream schools and wished that they went to a deaf school instead. That were their parents' choice, therefore it's between parents and their child. My wife was one of them and my deaf co-worker was one, too. As I mentioned some times ago, they told me that their parents wanted them close everyday regardless of happiness for their deaf children. Obviously the parents couldn't think straight.

Do you mean that parents are not encouraged to have their child with CI learn ASL? If so, by whom? The child's doctor or AGBell? That's unacceptable. But there is nothing we can do about it really. We can't control them.

No wonder more deaf schools are closing. OFC, I feel very sad about that. I love my old deaf school in NJ. I will never forget it.

Yes, that is what I meant to say.

Meh, she shouldhave stayed and reported it. That is illegal.

Meh, she shouldhave stayed and reported it. That is illegal.

Exactly. That's discriminatory. What good is she doing the students by quitting? It would seem that maybe we aren't getting the whole story.

There are always loopholes. I'll bet that they are using one.

No, there is no way to get around not hiring someone based on a "disability" which is exacts retry much what Shel said. If that was the case, this teacher should have taken it to court.

Back