Deaf child hears for the first time

Oh wow, there were no newborn hearing screen in 1987 and my parent didn't found it until 1989.

Just FYI example:

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Newborn Screening
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is Newborn Screening?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]download the pdf[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Simple tests can be used to check a baby's hearing right after birth. We don't have to wait until children are older to check for hearing loss. Newborn hearing tests are important because a lot of help is available even when a hearing loss is found early in a baby's life.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hearing screening programs are called "universal" because they are set up to test all babies. All babies can and should [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]have their hearing tested before they leave the hospital, or within 3 weeks of leaving the hospital. If a baby is born at home, a hearing test should be completed before he or she is 2 months old.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When a baby fails the screening tests, he or she is referred for more detailed, diagnostic hearing testing. If a hearing loss is found, then hearing aids and therapy services are started to help the baby learn to listen and speak."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.babyhearing.org/hearingamplification/newbornscreening/whatisUNHS.asp

"[/FONT]Hearing screening test for all babies no later than 1 month of age
Diagnostic evaluation no later than 3 months of age if baby failed the hearing screening
Early intervention no later than 6 months of age if baby is diagnosed with a hearing loss"
Kansas Department of Health and Environment: Newborn Hearing Screening Program

Some agencies still use "fail." Others used "non-pass" or "don't pass."

When we found out, we were told that our son "didn't pass the newborn hearing screening"...

Of course there are medical professionals who might say they failed, but what is being done about it?

Is there something that people can get behind and support a movement better educating medical personnel to a more acceptable way of phrasing it? Is there something being done to provide families with comprehensive, unbiased communication options?

It's one thing to vent now and then, it's another thing to continue harping on something without doing anything about it.

What is being done to change this? I would love to support getting more appropriate, unbiased information out to parents.

Part of the problem is that doctors are clinical. To them, saying your child failed doesn't mean a whole lot to them. It means a lot to parents, however.

Here's a question for you: What would you, as a parent receiving this kind of news, liked to have gotten -- would a brochure have helped? A video? And, from who? (e.g. what type of organization?)

Oh no...they use the words "fail" . If u don't believe me, that's OK but it is not my opinion. It is a fact.

lol my doctor said to me, " your son failed the hearing test, and we need him to stay in the hospital for a few days.". :roll:

lol my doctor said to me, " your son failed the hearing test, and we need him to stay in the hospital for a few days.". :roll:

I thought your children were hearing?

Not passing the newborn hearing screening doesn't warrant an extended hospital stay.

I thought your children were hearing?

Not passing the newborn hearing screening doesn't warrant an extended hospital stay.

three days later, his fluid in ears clear up on its own . so yes he's hearing. While i can be with him while i had to stay in the hospital. :)

I'm going off topic.....I'm just making an observation but I don't really want to make a whole thread about it. Have you ever noticed how much we squabble about simple words? We're a rather overly sensitive prickly bunch aren't we? Most of these words are rather simple, and are just for describing something....but we take them as judgements, personal attacks. WE are not our ears, or ability or inability to hear with them. Does it seem like there isn't much separation or is it just me?

Maybe I should make a thread about it

I'm going off topic.....I'm just making an observation but I don't really want to make a whole thread about it. Have you ever noticed how much we squabble about simple words? We're a rather overly sensitive prickly bunch aren't we? Most of these words are rather simple, and are just for describing something....but we take them as judgements, personal attacks. WE are not our ears, or ability or inability to hear with them. Does it seem like there isn't much separation or is it just me?

Maybe I should make a thread about it

Those words are "squirrels" and they are the bane of of every minority group. They distract people from real issues and it is sad.

It sounds like fake positive.

Doing a tympanogram let's you know whether or not there is fluid or pressure in the ear. That is taken into consideration when infants don't pass their hearing screening through an ABR. Parents would be informed of such results.

Doing a tympanogram let's you know whether or not there is fluid or pressure in the ear. That is taken into consideration when infants don't pass their hearing screening through an ABR. Parents would be informed of such results.

I am pretty sure that isn't effective until at least six months of age.

Why it wasn't apply to FF's son?

I am pretty sure that isn't effective until at least six months of age.

http://www.maico-diagnostics.com/eprise/main/_downloads/com_en/Documentation/Guide.Tymp.pdf

"As a non-invasive test, tympanometry can quickly and easily be performed on patients of any age, from infants to adults. Testing only takes about two minutes. The objectivity of tympanometry means the results are accurate based on the calculations - they are not dependent upon a response from the patient."

For your info, there is a YT video about how doctors should give positive benefits to families. I'll search to find it...

:dunno: You'd have to ask her.

I don't think Tympanometry is conducted as part of newborn hearing screen.

It means you have go to ENT or audiologist to conduct the Tympanometry.

I disagree with you about CI give HoH style and the definition of CI sound is pretty unique, that's not same as hearing aid that give a sound.

The CI sound is just louder as natural hearing but... not same as natural hearing due to bionic sounds - robotic.

It is just like saying prosthetic arm isn't same as natural arm.

Foxrac, some HOH people can hear within normal levels with hearing aids....same thing. That is what you're missing.

As an interpreter, I've worked with many adults who have CI's. Under ideal conditions (quiet room, one-on-one cover station with a clear speaker, being familiar with the topic), they can get by. Anything outside of that ideal situation requires a signing interpreter for clear comprehension for them.

Not all but many. I've also observed some situations where they thought clear communication was happening without an interpreter, and that really wasn't the case.

Technology is wonderful but it's not everything.

Reba, exactly. There is limitations to technology, and most hearing technology works well in one on one situtions. It's not too great for non perfect listening situtions

Back