Deaf child hears for the first time

I actual doubt many Drs say "failed."

Actually, yes they do.

And, even Alex, our own esteemed AD Admin, said so too here -- that it was what he was told for his daughter. And she's what, 2 years old?

Last edited:
Actually, yes they do.

And, even Alex, our own esteemed AD Admin, said so too here -- that it was what he was told for his daughter. And she's what, 2 years old?

I didn't say zero. Even still, I don't see that as a big deal.

The best part of technology is that it is constantly improving.
Or a new technology comes up to compete. For example, LCD TVs are currently improving but OLED TVs already beat them so someday in the future, LCD TVs will be discontinued. If that's what you mean, then you are correct. In other words, there are always better technologies.

Like the last discussion, yes there is probably a better way to say it, I was using the example give.

I actual doubt many Drs say "failed." They most likely give a score.

Oh no...they use the words "fail" . If u don't believe me, that's OK but it is not my opinion. It is a fact.

I didn't say zero. Even still, I don't see that as a big deal.

Of course u don't. However several of us feel differently especially when it has a negative impact on deaf children's lives. Oh sorry, I forgot u probably don't think it is a big deal either.

Oh no...they use the words "fail" . If u don't believe me, that's OK but it is not my opinion. It is a fact.

Yes, many of ENT doctors that I had seen used pass and fail on hearing test.

Same goes with vision test too.

Of course you don't. :wave:

That is just the way I am. I don't look for reasons to be offended. Information is much more important to me than the words that are used. But that is just me. Others can choose to be offended if they want.

That is just the way I am. I don't look for reasons to be offended. Information is much more important to me than the words that are used. But that is just me. Others can choose to be offended if they want.

We weren't talking about reasons to be offended. Re-read Reba's post #190.

Of course u don't. However several of us feel differently especially when it has a negative impact on deaf children's lives. Oh sorry, I forgot u probably don't think it is a big deal either.

And you are of course entitled to your opinion. I happen to think test results impact a persons life much more than the words chosen to express the test results. Do you pass all of the students you teach?

Just FYI example:

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Newborn Screening
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is Newborn Screening?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]download the pdf[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Simple tests can be used to check a baby's hearing right after birth. We don't have to wait until children are older to check for hearing loss. Newborn hearing tests are important because a lot of help is available even when a hearing loss is found early in a baby's life.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hearing screening programs are called "universal" because they are set up to test all babies. All babies can and should [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]have their hearing tested before they leave the hospital, or within 3 weeks of leaving the hospital. If a baby is born at home, a hearing test should be completed before he or she is 2 months old.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When a baby fails the screening tests, he or she is referred for more detailed, diagnostic hearing testing. If a hearing loss is found, then hearing aids and therapy services are started to help the baby learn to listen and speak."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.babyhearing.org/hearingamplification/newbornscreening/whatisUNHS.asp

"[/FONT]Hearing screening test for all babies no later than 1 month of age
Diagnostic evaluation no later than 3 months of age if baby failed the hearing screening
Early intervention no later than 6 months of age if baby is diagnosed with a hearing loss"
Kansas Department of Health and Environment: Newborn Hearing Screening Program

Some agencies still use "fail." Others used "non-pass" or "don't pass."

Just FYI example:

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Newborn Screening
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is Newborn Screening?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]download the pdf[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Simple tests can be used to check a baby's hearing right after birth. We don't have to wait until children are older to check for hearing loss. Newborn hearing tests are important because a lot of help is available even when a hearing loss is found early in a baby's life.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hearing screening programs are called "universal" because they are set up to test all babies. All babies can and should [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]have their hearing tested before they leave the hospital, or within 3 weeks of leaving the hospital. If a baby is born at home, a hearing test should be completed before he or she is 2 months old.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When a baby fails the screening tests, he or she is referred for more detailed, diagnostic hearing testing. If a hearing loss is found, then hearing aids and therapy services are started to help the baby learn to listen and speak."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.babyhearing.org/hearingamplification/newbornscreening/whatisUNHS.asp

"[/FONT]Hearing screening test for all babies no later than 1 month of age
Diagnostic evaluation no later than 3 months of age if baby failed the hearing screening
Early intervention no later than 6 months of age if baby is diagnosed with a hearing loss"
Kansas Department of Health and Environment: Newborn Hearing Screening Program

Some agencies still use "fail." Others used "non-pass" or "don't pass."

Sounds perfectly acceptable to me. This is an easily understandable "If/then" statement not a doom and gloom sort of thing.

Back