deaf 2 years old kids wear CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree that all kids with or without ci should learn sign even if hearing to communicate with deaf parents. but if my kids is deaf i would put ci on her/him after age 1 and teach her/him to talk AND sign.

As would I. CI can be very helpful but it's not the same as normal hearing so even if I implanted a deaf kid, I'd make sure they learn sign language as well. Language and being able to communicate with others is vital for deaf.

I've seen CI adults who were implanted very young and the CI hasn't prevented some of them from having language delays - nor has it always helped with speech. I think Shel can cite quite a few cases based on her experience as a teacher for the Deaf.

Many hearing parents place so much importance on speech they don't notice that the child might have language delays, problems with socializing with others, etc. That is why I REQUIRE the knowledge of sign for deaf children with CIs. Language is more important than CIs. I love my CI but it's not a cure for my deafness.

Good point. (Still haven't answered my question for you, though)

So, Jillio, My questions are directed to you. Why do you defend what you disagree with?

Yes, I did. The scenerio you describe probably would not occur on this forum.

As would I. CI can be very helpful but it's not the same as normal hearing so even if I implanted a deaf kid, I'd make sure they learn sign language as well. Language and being able to communicate with others is vital for deaf.

I've seen CI adults who were implanted very young and the CI hasn't prevented some of them from having language delays - nor has it always helped with speech. I think Shel can cite quite a few cases based on her experience as a teacher for the Deaf.

Many hearing parents place so much importance on speech they don't notice that the child might have language delays, problems with socializing with others, etc. That is why I REQUIRE the knowledge of sign for deaf children with CIs. Language is more important than CIs. I love my CI but it's not a cure for my deafness.

:gpost:

I have no idea how you are not seeing those quotes as being the same.

Because you are not using her words. You are changing them, and in the process distorting the contextual meaning of her statements. They are not even quotes. They are paraphrases, and incorrect paraphrases, at that.

I just got done reading all this post about how terrible my posting was. I expressed my opinion after reading this post. If someone hates CIs then why seek out the CI section and post? If this poster has a right to express her comments, then I do as well. As for the others who jump on the bandwagon, it is less about what I wrote and more about other posting. Jillio and I disagree on just about every topic, so I expect her to post the way she did. I expect no less from her.

I am a deaf individual posting a comment against another deaf individual. I did take offense against the comments as a deaf individual.

Now you may go back to bashing me, not only is my skin getting thicker, I expect no less from AllHear, oops AllDeaf.

And we have come to expect no less than the intolerance you have exhibited from you, vallee. Do your students parents get to see this side of you as well, or do you attempt to hide it from them?

And I thought you were an advocate of having ALL deaf children be in an enviroment where they can be educated with other deaf children, especially if ASL is offered in that enviroment. Why didn't you offer that as a comment? Why didn't you explain why it is so important to give CI kids both language instead of defending the idea that they belong somewhere other than the Deaf community? I believe that a Deaf school is a huge part of the Deaf community and by saying that a child isn't supposed to be in a Deaf school is tantamount to saying they are unwelcome in the Deaf community. Deaf schools are where ASL is passed from one generation to the next, it is where Deaf children from hearing families meet their first Deaf peers and it is where every deaf child should feel welcome. Deaf schools are were deaf children belong, no matter what technology they use.

That is where you are making your big mistake. I did not defend an idea in the least. I defended a parent's right to express concern about her child's situation in this forum without being subjected to the intolerance, the criticism, and the downright bigotry by those who are incapable of seeing past their own issues long enough to empathize with a parent's feelings.

There was no time to engage in productive discussion regarding possible solutions due to the defensiveness and the judgemental attitudes that a select few directed toward this mother.

You are continuing to claim that this mother is stating that Deaf CI users do not belong in a Deaf school, and she has said nothing of the kind. I suggest that you take your blinders off long enough to see what this mother is truly trying to communicate, instead of reacting so quickly out of the defensiveness you have demonstrated here.

I think she's just picking on you like she did me in the other forum about using the term hearing impaired.

Oh, well, isn't that funny how some individuals talk to you like you're not deaf enough or deaf at all to know anything about deafness?

Wah, wah, wah.

The only person that was "picked on" here was the mother that attempted to turn to this community for support.

So if a Deaf mother came in here and said that all deaf children should get implants because she thinks it is right and that Deaf schools should be closed down and deaf kids mainstreamed, should people jump to her defense? What if a hearing mother did it?

That is a completely different situation than what happened in this thread. The fact that you cannot seem to step back long enough to gain an objective view point of what took place is simply evidence that those of us who have defended this mother were absolutely correct in doing so.

Plus, she is defending a point that she actually disagrees with. That is ridiculous. If it was actually just a question, why didn't Jillo explain why the parents are right to have their kids there.

Again, faire jour, I am not defending a point. I am defending a mother's right to post in the CI threads, or any threads she so chooses, in order to seek support in dealing with her son's situation. You seem to be so concerned about rejection...how dare you treat this mother with such a judgemental and intolerant attitude and then demand that you be treated with acceptance and tolerance.

Wah, wah, wah.

The only person that was "picked on" here was the mother that attempted to turn to this community for support.

Exactly. You only want to hear what you want to hear.

Wah, wah, wah, exactly!

Exactly. You only want to hear what you want to hear.

Wah, wah, wah, exactly!

And quite obviously, you see only what you want to see, which does not include the fact that the majority of posters reponding to this thread are in agreement that this parent was treated rudely and judgementally. Get over yourself.

And trust me, the way this parent was treated was the last thing I wanted to see.

Did I say anything to state such? No, but here's what I see.

I can understand valle's point, and I can see that she came a bit too strong on another side.

I also can see where the OP came on too strong as well. I can also see where she's coming from.

Quiet obviously, I don't see what I want to see. I saw various sides.

I don't think you did.

Again, faire jour, I am not defending a point. I am defending a mother's right to post in the CI threads, or any threads she so chooses, in order to seek support in dealing with her son's situation. You seem to be so concerned about rejection...how dare you treat this mother with such a judgemental and intolerant attitude and then demand that you be treated with acceptance and tolerance.

I never said she has to accept me or my child. I have a supportive open-minded Deaf community in my city. We have dozens of friends who do not judge. My daughter is in a wonderful bi-bi school that accepts children with all technology. I don't have to worry about my CI kid being a part of the Deaf community in the future, she already is.

That is where you are making your big mistake. I did not defend an idea in the least. I defended a parent's right to express concern about her child's situation in this forum without being subjected to the intolerance, the criticism, and the downright bigotry by those who are incapable of seeing past their own issues long enough to empathize with a parent's feelings.

There was no time to engage in productive discussion regarding possible solutions due to the defensiveness and the judgemental attitudes that a select few directed toward this mother.

You are continuing to claim that this mother is stating that Deaf CI users do not belong in a Deaf school, and she has said nothing of the kind. I suggest that you take your blinders off long enough to see what this mother is truly trying to communicate, instead of reacting so quickly out of the defensiveness you have demonstrated here.

If you have such great insight into the mother's mind, can you explain what the statements I bolded meant? What did "I just wish kids know more signs and stop use CI" and "if kids can talk very well and can hear good, why not they go to class with hearing kids?" mean, if it didn't mean "I wish would stop using CI's" or "Go to a hearing school". The second set of quotes are my interpretation, explain why I am so far off and deserve a "shame on you".

This is just catch my attention. Some of you guys didn't understand her POV, Melika's. I personally knew her since she and I were in the same school before. So...

First of all - Melika (aka DamienMommy) had talked with the parents of children with CIs for the questions, and their answers to her: "That class is for all deaf, hearing aids, and CI kids mixing. But my son is only one that don't wear hearing aids everyday. I did asked kids who have ci, their parents about where school they would put kids in when kindergarten time? Most of them said want put kids in Oregon school for the Deaf. I was like oh, I say nothing, because there's most deaf teachers at deaf school, how can they teach or talk to kids with CI who don't know signs? They better be learn the signs then teach kids so they can understand what the deaf teacher saying."

For your info, I was graduated the deaf school a few years before Melika's graduation, 2008. In the school, there are actually many deaf teachers and only some hearing teachers. Okay - what the importance question is, why are hearing parent of children with a CI want to put them in the deaf school when there are mostly deaf teachers?

Melika already stated her post:

"My son is 2 years old, he goes to school every 2nd Wednesday with about 8 deaf kids there. Most of them got CI, all of them have hearing parents. Kids can talk and can understand what they saying. BUT they doesn't know the signs, just very little bit. My son knows signs and he tried to talk to them but nobody paid attention to him. He feel kinda left out, but he still trying to play with kids."
And there's no other school have deaf. Only one school have deaf program for deaf kids in this city where I live. But I just feel like why didn't they learn the signs too. They can talk and learn same time, it is easy. But they fk signs.
True, but why does CI kids involve with deaf program class if their parents don't learn signs? Maybe 3 parents is trying to, it fine but other parents don't seems want to learn signs then why put their kids in deaf class if kids can talk very well and can hear good, why not they go to class with hearing kids? Some deaf teacher work at teachs deaf kids, how can CI kids understand them if they are in class?

Clearly - In the city, Salem, there is only one deaf program in the school. So, that is why she wander of why hearing parents put their kids in the deaf program class if there are actually mostly deaf teachers, along with some hearing teachers, in the deaf school when their kids are able to speak and learn without to use the signing?

I encourage you to re-read her posts for what she actually said is what she felt about. I have to agree with Jillio's posts because it is a concern of the mother's feeling.

I can't believe ADers attacked Melika. Oh, wonderful! :mad:

*shakes head*

PS - I'll come back whenever I have a time..

For your info, I was graduated the deaf school a few years before Melika's graduation, 2008. In the school, there are actually many deaf teachers and only some hearing teachers. Okay - what the importance question is, why are hearing parent of children with a CI want to put them in the deaf school when there are mostly deaf teachers?

Clearly - In the city, Salem, there is only one deaf program in the school. So, that is why she wander of why hearing parents put their kids in the deaf program class if there are actually mostly deaf teachers, along with some hearing teachers, in the deaf school when their kids are able to speak and learn without to use the signing?

I am a hearing parent of a Deaf child with a CI. She attends a bi-bi school for the Deaf with many Deaf teachers. I do that because I want her to be a part of the Deaf community. I want her to go to a Deaf school and I want her to be taught by Deaf teachers. Just because she has a CI doesn't mean I don't want those things for her. So what if they can speak, maybe the parents want both. Why can't they go to a Deaf school?

Just wanted to let you all know that CI issues are ALWAYS argumentative. It doesn't give US the right to criticize others i.e. "Shame on you","You are not that child","I have the experience that you do not have, therefore.." and whats what. EVERYONE are ENTITLED to their own OPINION and their own EXPERIENCE.

There are NO two EXACT same snowflakes, what each experience might show doesn't ALWAYS work on other. For instance, coed speed can work for others, but it didn't work for ME, doesn't give me the RIGHT to downplay others' opinion. We are HERE to discuss how CI impacted others and what doesn't work.

If CI works for that person, GREAT, if it doesn't then that is where we can give ADVICES, not the CRITICISM. Please keep this discussion down to the equal playing level, giving advices and LISTENING to the testimonials that they MIGHT have.

Please keep things to yourselves, giving advices and NOT to down play others please.

Thanks.

I am a hearing parent of a Deaf child with a CI. She attends a bi-bi school for the Deaf with many Deaf teachers. I do that because I want her to be a part of the Deaf community. I want her to go to a Deaf school and I want her to be taught by Deaf teachers. Just because she has a CI doesn't mean I don't want those things for her. So what if they can speak, maybe the parents want both. Why can't they go to a Deaf school?

Seems in Ogden Utah you can choose bi-bi, TC, or oral all at the same state school.

I think the OP would like the same opportunity in her state.

Seems in Ogden Utah you can choose bi-bi, TC, or oral all at the same state school.

I think the OP would like the same opportunity in her state.

Yes and No. It is complicated, but yes, we have all three options from Utah School for the Deaf.

I understood your point is; it's good to hear that you want to do the best thing for your child. :) But you missed my point - I'd seen it before, I just saw some more and more parents with children who had their CIs around my area. They didn't take a sign language, only a few of them did take it. Because, according to Melika's posts, parents didn't want to learn sign language or they may be too busy to practice it (or other pointless reasons).

That is why Melika is frustrating and did try her do best for her son. She do not want to see her son bein left out cos there are more more more kids with CIs who can only speak, not sign. She already expressed her concerns within her feeling & her opinions as well.

Do you understand now?

Okay - I've to go now. Will come back later when I get home from my grandma's home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back