deaf 2 years old kids wear CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is wrong with voice too. Hey, I am a deaf individual, why should you tell me that I must learn sign. I would never tell you, you must learn to speak or lipread. My choice and my parents choice, it is wrong for you to tell them they must learn sign. There are many reasons and unless you know the family and choices, then you don't know why.

Vallee, I see your point and I know what you are saying. However, I think one thing that has been over looked is the deaf vs. Deaf divide. Some Deaf people, still feel betrayed by CIs. They are effectively removing members of our community and our culture.

I'm bilingual and I have both cultures and languages. You need to realize that this issue reaches beyond language and goes as far as genocide in some peoples minds. While some oral deaf people look down upon sign language and Deaf culture it is not with the same feeling of betrayal, rather it stems from pity - not a feeling of disrespect for a culture.

I do understand your point, but it is totally different in reverse.

True, but why does CI kids involve with deaf program class if their parents don't learn signs? Maybe 3 parents is trying to, it fine but other parents don't seems want to learn signs then why put their kids in deaf class if kids can talk very well and can hear good, why not they go to class with hearing kids? Some deaf teacher work at teachs deaf kids, how can CI kids understand them if they are in class?

I am a hearing parent of a Deaf child with a CI. I think it is wrong to put CI kids in hearing schools. They are DEAF and deserve to be with other kids. CI kids are still deaf and hopefully they will learn ASL and join the Deaf community, don't push them away. CI's are only going to become more and more widely used. They aren't going away. And when this generation of children become adults, I believe the face of the Deaf community will change. I hope and pray that they will be accepted as bilingual people.

Also, what kind of class is your son in? Is it an oral class? I think it is wrong to put a kid with no CI or hearing aids in a class where they use speech. It is cruel. Have you looked into a CI for your son? Would you ever consider giving him both? I know they are not for everyone, but I think a CI was great for my child because now she will have access to ASL and spoken language.

I understand that it is frustrating to have your child left out, but don't blame the kids, or CI's.

I am a hearing parent of a Deaf child with a CI. I think it is wrong to put CI kids in hearing schools. They are DEAF and deserve to be with other kids. CI kids are still deaf and hopefully they will learn ASL and join the Deaf community, don't push them away. CI's are only going to become more and more widely used. They aren't going away. And when this generation of children become adults, I believe the face of the Deaf community will change. I hope and pray that they will be accepted as bilingual people.

Also, what kind of class is your son in? Is it an oral class? I think it is wrong to put a kid with no CI or hearing aids in a class where they use speech. It is cruel. Have you looked into a CI for your son? Would you ever consider giving him both? I know they are not for everyone, but I think a CI was great for my child because now she will have access to ASL and spoken language.

I understand that it is frustrating to have your child left out, but don't blame the kids, or CI's.

Ohh, ok I understand now. That class is for all deaf, hearing aids, and CI kids mixing. But my son is only one that don't wear hearing aids everyday. I did asked kids who have ci, their parents about where school they would put kids in when kindergarten time? Most of them said want put kids in Oregon school for the Deaf. I was like oh, I say nothing, because there's most deaf teachers at deaf school, how can they teach or talk to kids with CI who don't know signs? They better be learn the signs then teach kids so they can understand what the deaf teacher saying. I don't give my son a CI ever till 18 years old then he can do whatever he want. Just myself that I don't see why he need CI cuz I am fine and happy to being deaf. I just want to have deaf family, use ASL all times..so I can understand everybody, feel more involve with family..If I am hearing, I would give my son a CI so we can communication together better but I am deaf, so I want my son to be same as me so we can understand eachother feel and easy.

Good venting, damienmommy

Yes, I find sad that the parents expose their deaf children into hearing children and think they should not use sign language because they think CI is a miracle like hearing... which is not true. Yes I know that the parents are being influence by doctors/expert to not use sign language...

It's really sad... :(

Most parents i have seen with children with CI talk AND Sign, everyone even ppl with ci's know that your still deaf with ci, its not a miracle cure. Us with ci still struggle. it is easier having a ci and signing and talking i use all three

Most parents i have seen with children with CI talk AND Sign, everyone even ppl with ci's know that your still deaf with ci, its not a miracle cure. Us with ci still struggle. it is easier having a ci and signing and talking i use all three

myself, I never meet any kids with ci and can signs both, yet...Only I met adult people who use CI and can signs a lot. I guess my hometown here is sucks for deaf community. but in here this city, parents think signs is too hard so they decided to give kids CI and not bother to learn and practice on signs. cuz they might be busy.

myself, I never meet any kids with ci and can signs both, yet...Only I met adult people who use CI and can signs a lot. I guess my hometown here is sucks for deaf community. but in here this city, parents think signs is too hard so they decided to give kids CI and not bother to learn and practice on signs. cuz they might be busy.

that's a real shame. :(

if i ever have a d/Deaf child and decide to give them a ci, they are going to learn how to listen, speak AND sign. at the same time, if they end up struggling with speech therapy, it will be dropped and expressive asl used exclusively in its' place.

damienmommy, i totally understand how you feel about kids being left out who relys on signing. curious have you ever talk to the teacher about putting him in the class where they can sign more and sit down and talk with teacher. It seems that they didn't have any program for deaf kids who didnt get CIs in deaf school. I feel that is unfair that deaf school is designed for deaf kids who rely on signing and if necessary to be encouraging to learn how to speech which is ok but design for deaf kids who signs. I have trouble understanding how teachers didn't think of deaf kids who didnt have cis and still be in the classroom with other ci kids who relys speaking in the deaf school. that doesnt make sense. the problem is that i am a deaf parent of hearing kids that i dont know much about deaf school. However i know for sure that deaf school is designed for deaf kids who signs and have speech therapy.
If i were you, i would try to talk to teacher to see if they know anything about how deaf kids with no CIs who get furious. If they know then ask them what are their plans to do with deaf kids and deaf kids with cis in the classrooms. they need to consider about what to do with deaf kids who rely on signing as well than focusing on deaf kids with cis too excessive.

It sounds like your child may not be in the right school. Are there other deaf programs you could place your child in that use sign language?

I agree with u....I wish many parents would stop focusing on the oral-only approach and expose their children to both sign and speech istead of just oral only cuz these children are still deaf and ASL could be important for language development. Yea, it seems like the view is because the child has a CI, there is no need for sign language and that's sad.
I undy your feelings all the way. Hang in there. Don't worry about the other posters feeling offended by your feelings. U r entitled to how u feel and have every right to express them. :)

I have bilateral cochlear implants and love them. If you hate CIs don't post in the CI section. You have your opinion and I disagree with yours. this is not meant to flame, I was taken back by your posting. Why should the deaf children take off their CIs just because you dislike them? That is wrong. If you hate CIs so much, move your child out of this school into another one.

How judgemental and rude can you get?

This poster is entitled to post here, no matter what her opinion of CI might be. There is no rule of this forum that states that posts must be positive toward CI.

The total lack of empathy displayed in your response as a CI user is exactly the attitude that has placed this poster and her child in the position of having a negative experience.

Shame on you, vallee.

I can empathise your feelings. Must be hard.

Is there any pre school deaf kids without CI around your area? Ask your Audi/ent/healthworker or somesort. Can he have one to one teacher of deaf?

Have you asked the parents why they aren't signing? Did they tell you it was because it was too hard, or are you just assuming? Also, are you aure they aren't? How do you know what they do in their own homes? Maybe instead of being angry and judging them for their choices (which will only push them away from the Deaf community and ASL) you could be a resourse for them. Maybe they don't know how to begin to learn ASL. Maybe they need someone to practice with. You could help them find these things.

Again, I would like to say that I don't think this is the right school for your son. If the teacher and the other students are using speech and he can't, it is just unfair for him. He is missing out on social interaction AND his education.

How judgemental and rude can you get?

This poster is entitled to post here, no matter what her opinion of CI might be. There is no rule of this forum that states that posts must be positive toward CI.

The total lack of empathy displayed in your response as a CI user is exactly the attitude that has placed this poster and her child in the position of having a negative experience.

Shame on you, vallee.

You said it better then I could have, but I felt the same way. I was appalled that a deaf person would tell another deaf person that shouldn't post on a deaf forum.

That really upset me.

Where in Oregon do you live in? I could help you with various schooling resources if you want as I live in Oregon too. I know there are many kids with CI who does sign as well as use speech. Sounds like you want bilingual education for your child.

You said it better then I could have, but I felt the same way. I was appalled that a deaf person would tell another deaf person that shouldn't post on a deaf forum.

That really upset me.

I totally disagree!! The OP said that kids who use CI's shouldn't be welcome in Deaf schools and the Deaf community, and that they should all stop using their devices. That's not ok.

I totally disagree!! The OP said that kids who use CI's shouldn't be welcome in Deaf schools and the Deaf community, and that they should all stop using their devices. That's not ok.

The OP said nothing of the kind. I suggest you go back and read the original post.

The OP said nothing of the kind. I suggest you go back and read the original post.

She said they should "go to class with hearing" kids and "stop us(ing) ther CI's"

(I originally said "go to hearing school" and "stop wearing ci's")

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back