deaf 2 years old kids wear CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally disagree!! The OP said that kids who use CI's shouldn't be welcome in Deaf schools and the Deaf community, and that they should all stop using their devices. That's not ok.

Why are some people taking this way too far? I dont see where she said that.

To my understanding, she merely indicated that she would prefer bilingual method- both signing and speech. What is wrong with having best of both worlds?

She said they should "go to hearing schools" and "stop wearing ther CI's"

Please indicate the posts that you have taken these quotes from.

This is a parent that is concerned about her child's ability to interact with his peers and the way that accommodations are being provided for him and other children in the deaf program that he attends. She has a valid concern, and this constant defensiveness of CI users to minimize that concern simply serves to create more problems.

Originally Posted by jillio
How judgemental and rude can you get?

This poster is entitled to post here, no matter what her opinion of CI might be. There is no rule of this forum that states that posts must be positive toward CI.

The total lack of empathy displayed in your response as a CI user is exactly the attitude that has placed this poster and her child in the position of having a negative experience.

Shame on you, vallee.

You said it better then I could have, but I felt the same way. I was appalled that a deaf person would tell another deaf person that shouldn't post on a deaf forum.

That really upset me.

Yes, I agree that Jillo find right word to say. Yes I am total speechless like what you said, after read vallee´s post.

I totally disagree!! The OP said that kids who use CI's shouldn't be welcome in Deaf schools and the Deaf community, and that they should all stop using their devices. That's not ok.

You're right. It's not. However, here's my take on this and why I defended her. She is Deaf mother of a Deaf son who is involved (or trying to be involved) in her Deaf community. Someone else comes along and tells her she shouldn't post in a section of a Deaf forum?

That's rude beyond measure. I'm hearing, but I honestly try and respect everybody's views on CI. If this was strictly a CI forum, then yeah, the OP views might be out of out of place, but NOT ON THIS FORUM.

Truth be told, I think the responder that set the tone for remainder of this thread, was being extremely elitist in what she said and I feel that is wrong.

As for the issue of signing with a CI. I wish more people with CI signed as well. I also wish that children with CI were also fluent in sign.

I am deaf, so my son is deaf too. He rarely wears hearing aids but he doesn't like to have them on for long..maybe just an hour then he take it off. Anyway, I want to share little something..

My son is 2 years old, he goes to school every 2nd Wednesday with about 8 deaf kids there. Most of them got CI, all of them have hearing parents. Kids can talk and can understand what they saying. BUT they doesn't know the signs, just very little bit. My son knows signs and he tried to talk to them but nobody paid attention to him. He feel kinda left out, but he still trying to play with kids.

I just wish kids know more signs and stop use CI or something. I want more deaf people come on the earth. Get big deaf world. but I noticed that there deaf world get small and smaller cuz of got CI and focus on talk voice than learning signs. I want to see my son to have social with kids who know signs and able to communicate with him. Than have son talk to adults all the times. He have deaf family on his dad's side, his cousins is hearing and same as his age, they know signs but he don't seen them everyday but I want to find other kids who live near me that know a lot of signs and same as his age, so he can chat with and play with. :-( I really hate CI, no offense.

First

True, but why does CI kids involve with deaf program class if their parents don't learn signs? Maybe 3 parents is trying to, it fine but other parents don't seems want to learn signs then why put their kids in deaf class if kids can talk very well and can hear good, why not they go to class with hearing kids? Some deaf teacher work at teachs deaf kids, how can CI kids understand them if they are in class?

Second

Again, the quotes that you have claimed she made are not there. The words you have bolded are not the words you typed in a previous post and accused her of using.

Shame on you, too.

She is simply asking a question about why the CI children who are not using sign in any form are not in an oral environment, such as a mainstreamed one with hearing kids.

Well, this is rant/venting. It´s normal like everyone who express their feeling and said something *I wish.....*. You would feel the same when you get anger on something.

I think faire jour just spent some time venting and using the phrase "I wish" regarding the handling of her own daughter's implantation and the surgeon's treatment of such.

She is simply asking a question about why the CI children who are not using sign in any form are not in an oral environment, such as a mainstreamed one with hearing kids.

Yeah, asking a question is not harm... I can´t see why anyone have the problem with harmless question... :dunno2:

Faire Jour has a need to think her daughter will fit in everywhere including deaf society and that she made the right choice.

I don't know why Oceanbreeze is so worked up on the other side of the argument since it does not impact her either way.

The rest of us could just shut up and let them have hysterics at each other.

Yeah, asking a question is not harm... I can´t see why anyone have the problem with harmless question... :dunno2:

Exactly. I have no patience with a parent that demands emapthy for their own child's situation and then turns around and refuses to give the same to another parent.

Faire Jour has a need to think her daughter will fit in everywhere including deaf society and that she made the right choice.

I don't know why Oceanbreeze is so worked up on the other side of the argument since it does not impact her either way.

The rest of us could just shut up and let them have hysterics at each other.

It is not an issue of for or against CI. It is an issue of a parent of a Deaf child being concerned and asking for understanding of the fact that she is concerned about the services that are being provided for her child. That is the whole point. She was attacked and told not to post here, and that is unnacceptable.

People see the letters "CI", and immediately become so defensive that they refuse to see to the heart of the post, and what this mother was actually saying.

It is not an issue of for or against CI. It is an issue of a parent of a Deaf child being concerned and asking for understanding of the fact that she is concerned about the services that are being provided for her child. That is the whole point. She was attacked and told not to post here, and that is unnacceptable.

People see the letters "CI", and immediately become so defensive that they refuse to see to the heart of the post, and what this mother was actually saying.

I understand what it was about. I really only see two people upset about it. Let them battle it out and attack each other.

I understand what it was about. I really only see two people upset about it. Let them battle it out and attack each other.

Actually, Bott, I was upset about it as well. I do not believe the attack on this mother was justified in any way.

:popcorn: Wow!

Hi damienmommy

I understand how you feeling! You re right about why Ci kids are in "Deaf programs" so Why not learning fun little kids sign language so won't be left Without Ci kids out at in "Deaf Program" too! :shrug:

Asking your son's teacher about learning sign language?

If not work out or difficult then find another school? :dunno2:

My friend has deaf children but live in Tecoma, Wa? Too far?

Here All deaf Ci's Section welcome you! ;)

and

Good luck :)

:popcorn: Wow!

Hi damienmommy

I understand how you feeling! You re right about why Ci kids are in "Deaf programs" so Why not learning fun little kids sign language so won't be left Without Ci kids out at in "Deaf Program" too! :shrug:

Asking your son's teacher about learning sign language?

If not work out or difficult then find another school? :dunno2:

My friend has deaf children but live in Tecoma, Wa? Too far?

Here All deaf Ci's Section welcome you! ;)

With an axe and a chainsaw!!:eek3:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back