Can a baby learn talking when hearing through hearing aids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted

and jillio, if you weren't wrong, and you let me know which ones and what and when you hear it.

When you provide working links.

Is your purpose in being here to troll and argue specifically with me, or do you have something of value to add to the discussion? I notice that you are avoiding answering relevant questions.

Thanks guys... So I guess that he can learn to talk but it will be difficult right? And to be on the safe side we should also sign? Thank God he is a very social and expressive baby (my parents still cannot believe that he is almost deaf since they say that he does not "look" deaf and kind of isolated from his environment. Maybe they just refuse to see the truth, it's hard).
Another question now: yesterday he first wore his hearing aids. I noticed that he still doesn't seem to hear many noises, is that OK? For the time being I try to get him wear the hearing aids for 1-2 hours per day during which I show him different objects in the house naming them. is that a good idea? Tomorrow I am seeing a speech therapist also.
Any other ideas/sites/tips for us the beginners would be appreciated!!!

Yes exactly.....Give him a full toolbox. We have moved past the five year olds who arrived at Clarke School with severely delayed language as the norm...Many kids can aquire speech abilty. Unfortunatly a lot of them still have to deal with HOH style speech delays....and while a lot of them do well intially, they still start hitting the fourth grade glass ceiling..which means they have trouble developing very sophsicated (post fourth grade) spoken language skills.
Also, this way your kid can function both WITH and without hearing aids/CI

It makes the kids terrified of failure. If you fail, the illusion of acceptance and love will be gone.

Journey, I get the impression that you and many of the other are using simultaneously in a slightly different manor. I get the impression that you are talking about from day to day. That they are not using just one or the other but using both over the same time frame. I think others in the thread are using simultaneously to mean using both for the same sentence at the exact same moment. Not sure I said that clearly; I just know what I am thinking of but not sure I came up with a way others will understand.

Journey, I get the impression that you and many of the other are using simultaneously in a slightly different manor. I get the impression that you are talking about from day to day. That they are not using just one or the other but using both over the same time frame. I think others in the thread are using simultaneously to mean using both for the same sentence at the exact same moment. Not sure I said that clearly; I just know what I am thinking of but not sure I came up with a way others will understand.

That is correct. When I refer to "simultaneously" I mean sign and speech coordinated, no time lapse. I've been signing and been around the deaf community for 25 years. I have yet to see anyone who could pull something like that off.

Welcome

Which one is Deaf ? - YouTube

Hannah’s Story | Cochlear Implant Online

A Bilingual Cochlear Implant User! | Cochlear Implant Online

Links work fine even when you copy and paste them into the URL address bar. To make it easier for the internet impaired on their inability to copy and paste, I've included the "http://" with the "www" internet address and AD does the rest automatically by making the link active. Now, all one has to do is move the cursor over the link and click on it. Pretty simple.

As for answering FJ's question, those kids (in the videos) with CIs certainly do speak typically like everybody else in their own age group. I listened to all of them. Am impressed with one kid who can speak English and German, a deaf bilingual. LOL. Hannah was wonderful just like any other typical 6 year old girl. Of course, I do acknowledge that there are many others who do "sound deaf" whenever they talk while others are not like that at all. Speech intelligibility is what's important here. Skills and abilities do vary when it comes to speech clarity and enunciation, no doubt.

Go ahead and watch and listen (for those who can) to those videos the links FJ provided and tell us what you think about these kids' speech.

I understand the word simultaneously, I think where we have a problem is that we are thinking different time frames. The OP was talking about a baby/toddler, I mentioned "since day one". Think about how we all learn a new language, it is not with great lengthy sentences and the beginning steps of the AS language does not involve difficult syntax ... mama, dada, good morning, where are your toes?, time for bed, where's brother?, walk to mama, time for a bath, are you hungry? and on and on. It is not difficult to express these beginnings of language in both english and ASL simultaneously. Of course has the kids grew up the language on both ends because more complex and were expressed in english and asl with a brief time lag or one or the other depending on the environment. If I were to raise a deaf child, I would certainly sign and speak at the same time during their early years to give them a foundation in both.

Wirelessly posted

kokonut said:
Welcome

Which one is Deaf ? - YouTube

Hannah’s Story | Cochlear Implant Online

A Bilingual Cochlear Implant User! | Cochlear Implant Online

Links work fine even when you copy and paste them into the URL address bar. To make it easier for the internet impaired on their inability to copy and paste, I've included the "http://" with the "www" internet address and AD does the rest automatically by making the link active. Now, all one has to do is move the cursor over the link and click on it. Pretty simple.

As for answering FJ's question, those kids (in the videos) with CIs certainly do speak typically like everybody else in their own age group. I listened to all of them. Am impressed with one kid who can speak English and German, a deaf bilingual. LOL. Hannah was wonderful just like any other typical 6 year old girl. Of course, I do acknowledge that there are many others who do "sound deaf" whenever they talk while others are not like that at all. Speech intelligibility is what's important here. Skills and abilities do vary when it comes to speech clarity and enunciation, no doubt.

Go ahead and watch and listen (for those who can) to those videos the links FJ provided and tell us what you think about these kids' speech.

thank you!

so jillio, have you watched the videos?

Wirelessly posted

who said that they have to for their mother's love? That is absurd. Some kids talk well, some don't talk at all. Mother's should love their children no matter what.

You only have one child, right? It doesn't matter if the mother loves their children equally. It's the child who may not feel the mother does when they compare themselves to their siblings. perception can alter truth.

Wirelessly posted

kokonut said:
This ought to get interesting.

it won't be interesting because she won't watch them. I called her bluff and she will just avoid.

It is entirely possible that she has never had the opportunity to speak with someone who doesn't have a "deaf accent", because of the people she encounters, but i have been around many people implanted in very early childhood and i have witnessed it.

You only have one child, right? It doesn't matter if the mother loves their children equally. It's the child who may not feel the mother does when they compare themselves to their siblings. perception can alter truth.

Fortunately for me, my brother is deaf also so I never had to experience this. My 4 hearing brothers were all born after I turned 16 so no difference. I was already practically moved out.

Wirelessly posted

it won't be interesting because she won't watch them. I called her bluff and she will just avoid.

It is entirely possible that she has never had the opportunity to speak with someone who doesn't have a "deaf accent", because of the people she encounters, but i have been around many people implanted in very early childhood and i have witnessed it.

Has it occured to you that a) it may be due to the private school effect? Or maybe even the type of therapy mom who demands that her kid do therapy, therapy therapy (b/c again that's what AVT is...and AVT is HUGE even at oral schools) and b) you're prolly just talking about articulation. A deaf accent has SO much more to it then just articualtion. I can pronounce and articualte pretty well, but I STILL have major major issues with pitch, volumne and even articualtion sometimes.

Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:
Wirelessly posted

Has it occured to you that a) it may be due to the private school effect? Or maybe even the type of therapy mom who demands that her kid do therapy, therapy therapy (b/c again that's what AVT is...and AVT is HUGE even at oral schools) and b) you're prolly just talking about articulation. A deaf accent has SO much more to it then just articualtion. I can pronounce and articualte pretty well, but I STILL have major major issues with pitch, volumne and even articualtion sometimes.

i'm not discussing the why, i'm simply refuting jillio's claim that all deaf people have a "deaf accent". She said she would watch the videos i provided, but she hasn't.

Same here..

It depends on certain people. Some people will catch my deaf accent...some wont and think i am hearing. I went for 2 hours with my bank rep in person all alone trying to solve a problem with my account until he handed me the phone to talk with someone from headquarters. I told him that I couldnt talk on the phone and he was so puzzled and I said that i am deaf and his jaw dropped like a mile down. He couldnt believe it. Luckily, I could read his lips easily and go on for a long while without needing to ask him to repeat himself. Obviously my speech didnt give myself away to him. To some others, it is a dead givaway.

It really depends on the hearing person's way of hearing how people speak whether they can identify deaf speech or not...or so I was told by the school audiologist. I never knew that before. It was interesting to learn. :)

"Can a baby learn talking when hearing through hearing aids?"

Sure, they can. But, if parents really want them to able to hear and speak, then they should expect to deal with failures, benefits, and risks. It'd better to encourage kids to see pictures and words via an audio. If it don't help, it is better to give a try to do ASL. Expose everything to boost their kids' language is, probably, best choice.

As for my opinion, I think it is kinda of bad idea if they don't expose ASL to deaf kids earlier.

Same here..

It depends on certain people. Some people will catch my deaf accent...some wont and think i am hearing. I went for 2 hours with my bank rep in person all alone trying to solve a problem with my account until he handed me the phone to talk with someone from headquarters. I told him that I couldnt talk on the phone and he was so puzzled and I said that i am deaf and his jaw dropped like a mile down. He couldnt believe it. Luckily, I could read his lips easily and go on for a long while without needing to ask him to repeat himself. Obviously my speech didnt give myself away to him. To some others, it is a dead givaway.

It really depends on the hearing person's way of hearing how people speak whether they can identify deaf speech or not...or so I was told by the school audiologist. I never knew that before. It was interesting to learn. :)

Exactly same here. faire joure, you're posting controlled conditions. I'm sure that I could upload clips of me speaking that sound "hearing." but that's not truely globaly representive of my speech. I still have a deaf accent (complete with hard to understand speech sometimes) and still have pitch, volumne etc issues globally.

Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:
Same here..

Exactly same here. faire joure, you're posting controlled conditions. I'm sure that I could upload clips of me speaking that sound "hearing." but that's not truely globaly representive of my speech. I still have a deaf accent (complete with hard to understand speech sometimes) and still have pitch, volumne etc issues globally.

did you watch the videos? They aren't controlled situations. They are unrehearsed, impromptu interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back