Can a baby learn talking when hearing through hearing aids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Deaf community does not rank people according to hearing levels and speech abilities.

No shit...only the audist do.

Enough with focusing on the ears and the mouth. Focus on the child as a whole.

Wirelessly posted

www.cochlearimplant.net

www.youtube.com/watch?featureplayer_profilepage&v=fAtV-DctIeA

www.cochlearimplantonline.com/site/1039/hannahs-story/

www.cochlearimplantonline.com/site/1650/a-bilingual-cochlear-implant-user/

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

if i post some links with videos, will you watch them? I have plenty that show kids who speak typically.

Do what you will. And all you will accomplish in the process is make anyone here who may feel self-conscious about their speech even more so. I don't think we need to define "typically" on this forum in regards to speech. It's different for everyone. And not even just for those who are deaf, you know exactly what I'm saying.

Speaking one language and signing the other language only causes confusion. Just take a look at Signed Exact English.

Matter of a fact, the person who came up with Signed Exact English lives here in this town. He uses ASL. :hmm:

I respect your opinion based on what I have learned about your background and your knowledge and involvement in the deaf culture and I always appreciate what you have to say pfh :). My opinion is based on watching a close friend and her husband (both deaf) raise their hearing children. From day one they spoke to their kids using their voices as well as ASL (not PSE). The kids are fluent in both languages and participate successfully in both worlds. If I had a deaf child I would probably follow their example.

Wirelessly posted

no, i think language and literacy are far more important than articulation, but the subject currently being discussed in quality of speech.

It is obvious from your posts what you consider to be the most important.:cool2:
For you, language comes, first and foremost, in the spoken form. You then base all of your opinions on that singular fact.

I respect your opinion based on what I have learned about your background and your knowledge and involvement in the deaf culture and I always appreciate what you have to say pfh :). My opinion is based on watching a close friend and her husband (both deaf) raise their hearing children. From day one they spoke to their kids using their voices as well as ASL (not PSE). The kids are fluent in both languages and participate successfully in both worlds. If I had a deaf child I would probably follow their example.

Understandable.

The only issue I have is that by saying you will sign and speak simultaneously with no further information leads to ambiguous ideas. They might then try learning ASL but with limited knowledge in ASL and a habit of using strictly English all their lives they more than likely will shift into using signs in English word order. That was the reason I brought up SEE.

I don't even know how it is linguistically possible as they both are stand-alone languages, separate from each other. Your friends must be using PSE, taking after the English word order.

Wirelessly posted

Welcome

right on the opening page there is a video

Which one is Deaf ? - YouTube

cochlearimplantonline.com/site/1039/hannahs-story/

cochlearimplantonline.com/site/1650/a-bilingual-cochlear-implant-user/ (not the interviewer, the child)

None of your links are working. And they are all advertisements for the cochlear industry. A.G Bad used to post videos of their star players, too. Doesn't transfer to the general population of kids. In fact, check out the into thread, and you will find one of those poster children. Just read what she has to say.

Understandable.

The only issue I have is that by saying you will sign and speak simultaneously with no further information leads to ambiguous ideas. They might then try learning ASL but with limited knowledge in ASL and a habit of using strictly English all their lives they more than likely will shift into using signs in English word order. That was the reason I brought up SEE.

I had a hard time giving a presentation for years when i was kid that i was forced to use voice and sign in english at the same time. Until i went to gallaudet, and someone pointed out that i needed to turn my voice off and let myself go flow and express it. Bingo, I signed ASL and my presentation was so smooth. I couldn't believe that i didn't see in myself but glad someone made me to see it.

Simultaneously?

I don't even know how it is linguistically possible as they both are stand-alone languages, separate from each other. Your friends must be using PSE, taking after the English word order.

That's what I was thinking.

Either that, or their spoken English syntax is suffering. It is impossible to sign in ASL and speak in English simultaneously. This has been proven over and over and over again. One language or the other, and usually both, are compromised. So, rather than getting a bilingual model, the kids are getting substandard models of 2 partial languages.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

Welcome

right on the opening page there is a video

Which one is Deaf ? - YouTube

cochlearimplantonline.com/site/1039/hannahs-story/

cochlearimplantonline.com/site/1650/a-bilingual-cochlear-implant-user/ (not the interviewer, the child)

None of your links are working. And they are all advertisements for the cochlear industry. A.G Bad used to post videos of their star players, too. Doesn't transfer to the general population of kids. In fact, check out the into thread, and you will find one of those poster children. Just read what she has to say.

cut and paste if the links don't work.

the first one is a parent's blog. The second is a youtube by a parent and the last two are one implanted adult interviewing implanted children.

i never came close to saying that the general population of deaf kids speak without a "deaf accent". I said that some don't. THAT is what you denied.

Wirelessly posted

the first one is a parent's blog. The second is a youtube by a parent and the last two are one implanted adult interviewing implanted children.

i never came close to saying that the general population of deaf kids speak without a "deaf accent". I said that some don't. THAT is what you denied.

It is not my responsibility to to the work to make sure that your links work. It was important to you that others watch these videos. It was not important to any of us.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

It is not my responsibility to to the work to make sure that your links work. It was important to you that others watch these videos. It was not important to any of us.

why can't you have the guts to admit you were wrong? Geez

Why can't you have the guts to admit you're for damaging children's self esteem? Geez

Yeppers. Looks like that question is being avoided.

Looks like what is important is Mom's self esteem: "look at what a wonderful mother I am and how hard I worked to get my kid to speak as close to a hearing person as possible."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back