Can a baby learn talking when hearing through hearing aids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Why can't you have the guts to admit you're for damaging children's self esteem? Geez

Yeppers. Looks like that question is being avoided.

Looks like what is important is Mom's self esteem: "look at what a wonderful mother I am and how hard I worked to get my kid to speak as close to a hearing person as possible."

the kids? What would be damaging? The fact that i am saying that they sound wonderful?

Yeppers. Looks like that question is being avoided.

Looks like what is important is Mom's self esteem: "look at what a wonderful mother I am and how hard I worked to get my kid to speak as close to a hearing person as possible."

i have seen plentyyyy and their self esteems are whooaaa. unfortunately for me to deal with those people because its not their faults.

Wirelessly posted

the kids? What would be damaging? The fact that i am saying that they sound wonderful?

I provided a link to a research that shows oral kids have lower self esteem than the ones that use sign language in this thread.

Wirelessly posted

Read the research, FJ, read the research. PFH was kind enough to link to it, and his link works.

Either that, or their spoken English syntax is suffering. It is impossible to sign in ASL and speak in English simultaneously. This has been proven over and over and over again. One language or the other, and usually both, are compromised. So, rather than getting a bilingual model, the kids are getting substandard models of 2 partial languages.

Yeah, I thought about the "English syntax suffering" but if I may be momentarily "audist", I didn't think hearing people would "talk funny", yanno? :lol:

Wirelessly posted

cut and paste if the links don't work.

the first one is a parent's blog. The second is a youtube by a parent and the last two are one implanted adult interviewing implanted children.

i never came close to saying that the general population of deaf kids speak without a "deaf accent". I said that some don't. THAT is what you denied.

Yeah? So? Some kids with hearing aids don't speak with a deaf accent either....but the gross majority of us do. Heck, even many HOH people speak with a deaf accent. ...and yes I agree with jillo....the ones who don't speak with a deaf accent are the super stars. Even many AVTers speak with deaf accents.

Wirelessly posted

The fact that it is so important for a deaf kid to emulate a hearing kid for their mother's love.

It's causing wrenching pain.

Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:
Wirelessly posted

cut and paste if the links don't work.

the first one is a parent's blog. The second is a youtube by a parent and the last two are one implanted adult interviewing implanted children.

i never came close to saying that the general population of deaf kids speak without a "deaf accent". I said that some don't. THAT is what you denied.

Yeah? So? Some kids with hearing aids don't speak with a deaf accent either....but the gross majority of us do. Heck, even many HOH people speak with a deaf accent. ...and yes I agree with jillo....the ones who don't speak with a deaf accent are the super stars. Even many AVTers speak with deaf accents.

i agree with you, many do. But jillio flat out said that all do.

The fact that it is so important for a deaf kid to emulate a hearing kid for their mother's love.

Yes it is plus other adults especially teachers telling you how smart you must be because you can speak so well. Next time someone says that to me, I will bitch-slap that person. Seriously, I am so done with that crap!

Wirelessly posted

Bottesini said:
Wirelessly posted

who said that they have to for their mother's love? That is absurd. Some kids talk well, some don't talk at all. Mother's should love their children no matter what.

Wirelessly posted

no, i think language and literacy are far more important than articulation, but the subject currently being discussed in quality of speech.

Ah, a "deaf voice" has SO much more to it then articualtion...it's pitch, volumne modualtion etc....virtually everything that was on my speech therapy goals on my IEP from kindergarten to high school.

Anyways...sorry for off topic.

To the OP, pls take the deaf people's feedback into serious consideration as we all have lived what it is like especially when it comes to making us "speak" like hearing people.

Wirelessly posted

and jillio, if you weren't wrong, and you let me know which ones and what and when you hear it.

Wirelessly posted

who said that they have to for their mother's love? That is absurd. Some kids talk well, some don't talk at all. Mother's should love their children no matter what.

Yeah, they should.:cool2: And they should never communicate to their children that their love and approval is dependant upon speaking. But that is exactly what happens day after day after day. Ask any deaf kid that has survived an oral only placement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back