Can a baby learn talking when hearing through hearing aids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted

only if the child is speaking sounds they can't hear. I know lots of deaf people who do not "sound deaf". Generally they have implants or a mild-moderate loss.

Huh? where did you learn about this one?

Wirelessly posted

only if the child is speaking sounds they can't hear. I know lots of deaf people who do not "sound deaf". Generally they have implants or a mild-moderate loss.

I can hear well enough to talk on the phone. And people still say I have a deaf accent. So I know for a fact that HOH and Deaf people do have a deaf accent no matter how slight or severe it is.

I have met several implantees and Implanted (Babies) children to know they have a deaf accent as well.

This is ncorrect and has nothing to do with this child or this case. And I know of no CI user that does not speak with a degree of what is known as the "deaf accent". Remember Pek1? He claimed to "speak perfectly with no deaf accent"? He had a moderate loss I believe, and did extremely well at measured aided levels. As a challange, I provided him my phone number. I He did call, and after talking with him awhile, I listed for him the exact phonemes and blends that we was pronouncing with a definate typical accent associated with people with hearing loss.

I would suggest that you are not hearing it simply because you are ignoring it.

Most hearing won't recognize my "deaf" accent for what it is though they'll notice my speech is a bit off on a few words. I have no doubt if you talk to me long enough, you'll detect it. I've had one hearing person say to me many years ago tell me I have a lazy tongue (before ci and improvement of speech) and that I didn't always pronounce my Ls correctly.

This is ncorrect and has nothing to do with this child or this case. And I know of no CI user that does not speak with a degree of what is known as the "deaf accent". Remember Pek1? He claimed to "speak perfectly with no deaf accent"? He had a moderate loss I believe, and did extremely well at measured aided levels. As a challange, I provided him my phone number. I He did call, and after talking with him awhile, I listed for him the exact phonemes and blends that we was pronouncing with a definate typical accent associated with people with hearing loss.

Yeah I remember him.

Wirelessly posted

Lots of them? Nawww, just a few. Very, very few.

Most hearing won't recognize my "deaf" accent for what it is though they'll notice my speech is a bit off on a few words. I have no doubt if you talk to me long enough, you'll detect it. I've had one hearing person say to me many years ago tell me I have a lazy tongue (before ci and improvement of speech) and that I didn't always pronounce my Ls correctly.

I wouldn't have recognized it as a "deaf" accent, either, until I had a great deal of exposure to the deaf, and began to see the consistencies. With my son, most people thought he had a slight speech impediment. But I started paying attention, and realized I heard the same patterns in most every deaf person I had contact with, with some slight variations. And it also has to do with timbre of the voice.

Right.
many people had no idea that my hub is deaf because he speaks well. He used to have HA even though he was born profoundly deaf. He's more deaf than I am. He has been practicing to learn how to speak and listen since he was baby with a lot of speech therapy all his life. My mom met him and thought he was hearing. i told her, "no hes deaf like me". My mom said, " ohhh i didn't hear him with any deaf accent at all." It's all about speech therapy and lots fo work on voicing and listening, not CIs or HAs. anyway, He got CI when he was around 34 years old.

Wirelessly posted

They speak like they hear. That is why deaf people or HOH people or implantees have a deaf accent. They can hear the sound just not accurately. Even with the tools to aid their hearing.

and it is not.. "only if"

Another question now: yesterday he first wore his hearing aids. I noticed that he still doesn't seem to hear many noises, is that OK? For the time being I try to get him wear the hearing aids for 1-2 hours per day during which I show him different objects in the house naming them. is that a good idea? Tomorrow I am seeing a speech therapist also.
Any other ideas/sites/tips for us the beginners would be appreciated!!!
The brain first need to make sense out of the new input.
A baby that isn't deaf would start hearing in the womb.... your child has some catching up to do..
Don't worry... you're doing great..

Wirelessly posted

I see others has gotten back to you on this.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

if i post some links with videos, will you watch them? I have plenty that show kids who speak typically.

The Deaf community does not rank people according to hearing levels and speech abilities.

Wirelessly posted

if i post some links with videos, will you watch them? I have plenty that show kids who speak typically.

Bring 'em on. But I will also want some demographics and make sure the videos are not speech therapy sessions.

But personally, much, much more is of importance in the child than their speech. At least, most see other things as far more important. You, we know speech is the end all and be all.

This is the message I wanted to write to you, just much more eloquently than I could've done so.

We always focused on our child’s strengths.... We didn’t need her to learn how to say words in order to connect and communicate because we all learned to sign. Speech is a skill that your child has a lifetime to acquire.
Speech is not a language. Speech is one way to deliver a language.
English is a language, American Sign Language is a language, but speech… speech is a skill.

You want your deaf child to learn their first language before the age of 3 if possible. If they can’t hear, don’t waste your time and theirs trying to get them to learn a listened to, spoken language....

(If your child is deaf please read #3 until it makes sense. Do not get stuck with the thought that you “just want your child to talk.” Trust me, you don’t just want that. You want so much more for them!)

From http://www.rachelcoleman.com/2011/09/07/my-two-cents-cochlear-implants/

Other people have said the same thing, but I wanted to say it, also.:wave:

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

Bring 'em on. But I will also want some demographics and make sure the videos are not speech therapy sessions.

But personally, much, much more is of importance in the child than their speech. At least, most see other things as far more important. You, we know speech is the end all and be all.

no, i think language and literacy are far more important than articulation, but the subject currently being discussed in quality of speech.

Wirelessly posted

no, i think language and literacy are far more important than articulation, but the subject currently being discussed in quality of speech.

Who discussed that? I thought the mother asked if he could learn to speak, not if he could pass as a hearing person.

Wirelessly posted

Bottesini said:
Wirelessly posted

Who discussed that? I thought the mother asked if he could learn to speak, not if he could pass as a hearing person.

someone said that no matter how well a deaf person learns to speak, they will always "sound deaf". I disagreed. Jillio agreed with the pp, saying that she has never heard a deaf person without a "deaf accent".

that is how speech quality came up.

LOL well? I don't have a deaf accent though, my voice sounds like every other girl out there including Gaga :D

Even being late-deafened affects speech. It's a gradual process so it's not noticible at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back