BREAKING! NYPD clearing OWS in surprise raid!

ok..............................

again - they were given advanced notice to clear the property. but no... they chose to stay and disobey. what happened afterward is of no concern to me. they had it coming. baton beating. water hosed. pepper sprayed. shoved. tazed. arrested. that is the consequence they knew it would happen if they chose to disobey lawful order.

did they think they're entitled to live in Zuccotti Park for free?

Maybe some of those that lost their homes had to live in a park.

Oh, and you people who are anti OWS, you guys would have been all "rah rah rah" the cops are evicting the Hoovervilles during the Depression. It's the SAME thing!

About time. Seriously.

Lice. Zuccotti lung. Fecal and urine matter. Closed quarters over a length of time is asking for trouble health wise. But that isn't the only thing.

Drugs pushers are hanging out there too. I agree it was about time and I want to know why it took so long to clean the site up. I bet this is going to cost cities money having cops work over time too. And when the cities need more money they have tax payers pay higher taxes. One person could have scabies and past it on to other in no time.

I have family friends down at OWS. I was on Facebook when occupy Boston posted about OWS....was freaking out about my friends....Their mom (who is my second mom) posted, and said my good friend was in Brooklyn....
her sister (who I do not know too well) is in the park chained to something and refusing to leave...Sophie said they were teargassing and arresting people.
So Dave and kokonut and all, do you really believe it right that the police were refusing entry to the park for the protesters to remove their stuff? They were doing NOTHING...They were exercising their right to peacabley protest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all they are allowed to is protest, the court said they can't live in the park!! When I protested for animals right in Washington we told that we could not stay in one place for too long with our signs that we had to keep moving. The OWS where warned to move a number of times.

that would be illegal

What would be illegal living the park or losing your homes ?
You know a lot people lost their home when they where not able to pay their mortgages as they lost their jobs. I would imaging homeless people move into the site too to stay warm and dry and get some food. I bet there are people there that have nothing to with the protest.

Um I was watching it on the livestream....I've also gotten reports back from both "Mom"/Nancy and real family (as well as numerous numbers of friends who live in NYC) that the protest was completely and utterly peaceful. My girls were actually working very hard to keep down violence and drugs and stuff......The livestream said that they kicked the protestors out only letting them take a handful of stuff. Sophie and the other protestors who were actively protesting were defending the eviction from the park! They were peacefully assemebling. Bloomberg etc were basicly bullshitting and coming up with the dumbassed excuses ever. I know parents who took their kids to the parents sleepover at OWS!

HUH! Why would any parents bring their kids there as sleep over? What if there was a police raid in the middle of the night, the kids could had knocked down and stepped on!

people who lost jobs and homes are not living pampered lives.

I called the White House and asked why aren't they letting people that lost their jobs and homes use the trailers that meant for New Orleans after the hurricane . The woman on the phone told me this was not an emergency! Huh!
Families where living in tents with their kids and babies and that not an emergency! I know the trailers had to be cleaned first but they just sitting somewhere not being used... I can see people being angry but it should not give them the rights to cause a health risk. What really is wrong seeing both parties blaming one another for what wrong when we have people living in the streets . Not one candidates said how they would help people that are living in the streets or cars for no fault of their owns.

HUH! Why would any parents bring their kids there as sleep over? What if there was a police raid in the middle of the night, the kids could had knocked down and stepped on!

It was an organized "Parents Sleepover" at the OWS main encampment.

What would be illegal living the park or losing your homes ?
You know a lot people lost their home when they where not able to pay their mortgages as they lost their jobs. I would imaging homeless people move into the site too to stay warm and dry and get some food. I bet there are people there that have nothing to with the protest.

I've been to Zuccotti Park several times to eat lunch with my friend and there's not a single homeless person in there.

I have a right to complain about the consequences. I have the courage of my convictions. When you can say the same, speak up.

Congrats, To me it seems silly to complain about the consequences of actions one chooses, but that's just me. :dunno:

Not to mention the drugs and other illegal activity there. Seems pretty crazy to me too. Hope those children didn't catch any of the diseases floating around.

Not to mention the drugs and other illegal activity there. Seems pretty crazy to me too. Hope those children didn't catch any of the diseases floating around.

They don't seem to be worried about the drugs and illegal activity going on all over the city. Zucotti Park is the least of their worries.

I've been to Zuccotti Park several times to eat lunch with my friend and there's not a single homeless person in there.

That is not true at all. That said, there are two separate camps when it comes to Zucotti Park. Some of them were homeless well before OWS, however most are people who traveled in from California, Spain, Tibet and other places who are now living in various Churches and or participating in the OWS hotline network which connectes people to different homes to sleep in.

I personally do not think their constitutional right was revoked, because they are still able to protest. What I did NOT like, was the paramilitary treatment of the Police. Our 24/7 subway systems were shut down, and people were prevented from coming within 2 blocks of the Park. Not everyone was in the park at the time, so not everyone was able to pick up their stuff. Councilman Rodriguez was beaten up, and locked up in a Police van by himself. ALL the computer equipment from the Park was smashed and broken beyond repair.

Where were the protestors expected to go at 3 AM in the morning with their stuff?

I wasn't happy with the eviction, but I think it was fair, albeit the way it was handled was barbaric.

How would you possibly know that? Are you claiming that one quick glance is all it takes to determine someone's living status, or are you relying on innaccurate stereotypes of what "homeless" looks like?

How would you possibly know that? Are you claiming that one quick glance is all it takes to determine someone's living status, or are you relying on innaccurate stereotypes of what "homeless" looks like?

it wasn't one quick glance. I've been there several times. there's not a single homeless person in sight. perhaps they scurry back in late at night and leave before the crack of dawn but what shush said above is correct about homeless people sleeping on church properties. I do see them all over. It's a holy sanctuary where police cannot tell them to leave.

I don't think you understand the location of Zuccotti Park. Having homeless people VISIBLY sleeping at Zuccotti Park is as out of place as seeing a homeless person pushing a cart full of soda cans in suburbia. Police appearance in Wall Street area is extremely high nearly 24/7. Why would homeless people risk unnecessary altercation with police?

That is not true at all. That said, there are two separate camps when it comes to Zucotti Park. Some of them were homeless well before OWS, however most are people who traveled in from California, Spain, Tibet and other places who are now living in various Churches and or participating in the OWS hotline network which connectes people to different homes to sleep in.

I personally do not think their constitutional right was revoked, because they are still able to protest. What I did NOT like, was the paramilitary treatment of the Police. Our 24/7 subway systems were shut down, and people were prevented from coming within 2 blocks of the Park. Not everyone was in the park at the time, so not everyone was able to pick up their stuff. Councilman Rodriguez was beaten up, and locked up in a Police van by himself. ALL the computer equipment from the Park was smashed and broken beyond repair.

Where were the protestors expected to go at 3 AM in the morning with their stuff?

I wasn't happy with the eviction, but I think it was fair, albeit the way it was handled was barbaric.

agreed. it could have been handled better.

NYPD has a history of employing the uses of tactic to arrest them.

it wasn't one quick glance. I've been there several times. there's not a single homeless person in sight. perhaps they scurry back in late at night and leave before the crack of dawn but what shush said above is correct about homeless people sleeping on church properties. I do see them all over. It's a holy sanctuary where police cannot tell them to leave.

I don't think you understand the location of Zuccotti Park. Having homeless people VISIBLY sleeping at Zuccotti Park is as out of place as seeing a homeless person pushing a cart full of soda cans in suburbia. Police appearance in Wall Street area is extremely high nearly 24/7. Why would homeless people risk unnecessary altercation with police?

Again, how do you know that the person sitting on the bench eating their lunch across from you is not homeless?

Back