Books about deafness & CI

R2D2 said:
It is nicely written though and it's an aspect of the experience of deafness. He had some quite positive things to say about deaf culture and language as well.

I stand by my previous assertion that they're merely attempting to start fights on campus. :)

ayala920 said:
Can you remember off-hand if she signs? My first instincts say no, but I can't remember for sure.

Both the real Sue Thomas and the woman who portrays her on TV, Deanne Bray, were at an event I attended in Chicago a few years back. I was surprised to discovere that Deanne Bray uses ASL as her primary mode of communication.

Still cannot remember what song Sue sang, but she did use some sign language.

Demographic Aspects Of Hearing Impairment - 1994

DEMOGRAPHIC ASPECTS OF HEARING IMPAIRMENT:
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Third Edition, 1994
Judith Holt, Sue Hotto, Kevin Cole
Center for Assessment and Demographic Studies
Gallaudet University

How many persons are deaf or hard-of-hearing in the U.S.?

Are state and local estimates of the deaf and hard-of-hearing population available?

Of the estimated 20 million persons with hearing impairment in the U.S., how many are considered to be deaf?

What is the age distribution of the deaf population?

Are males or females more likely to have hearing impairment?

Which racial or ethnic groups are more likely to have hearing impairment?

Is there a difference in prevalence of hearing impairment by level of education?

Is there a difference in prevalence of hearing impairment by family income?

Is there a difference in prevalence of hearing impairment by size of community?

What is the number of deaf and hard-of-hearing adults in the labor force?

What is the age at onset of hearing loss for deaf and hard-of-hearing persons?

What are the leading causes of hearing loss for deaf and hard-of-hearing adults?

What are the leading causes of hearing loss for deaf and hard-of-hearing students?

How has the cause of hearing loss for deaf and hard-of-hearing students changed in the last 10 years?

Related Literature

I'll start with these:
Inside Deaf Culture, Carol Padden and Tom Humphries(2005).
Dancing without Music: Deafness in America Beryl L. Benderly (1980).
Deaf Like Me, Thomas Spradley
Sound and Sign, Kathryn Meadows and Hilde Schlesinger
Psychological Perspectives on Deafness, Marshark, et.al.
The Other Side of Silence

And many many more, if one is truly interested in learning the truth.

Cloggy,

"Whats that Pig Outdoors" by Henry Kisor and a book by Bonnie Tucker, the title I have forgotten are both personal accounts of growing up deaf.
Rick

I will make a list of the books posted here and start buying them one by one. I have 2 books already listed above. Would like to read more with both views. :)

Great thread!

Another book that I have not seen mention in this thread is Deaf Again, by Mark Drolsbaugh.:type:

CI Book-Hear Again Back to life with a Cochlear Implant by Arlene Romoff same surgeon that will be implanting me.GOD WILLING.

Cloggy,

"Whats that Pig Outdoors" by Henry Kisor and a book by Bonnie Tucker, the title I have forgotten are both personal accounts of growing up deaf.
Rick

Personal accounts of growing up oral deaf. And the title alone tells you what the major problems are.

Awesome thead! There are some books I have wanted to read. I do have the "Deaf like Me" one, had it for many years as it was a gift from my Mom & I loved the book. I've probably read it like at least 5 times!

I wanna go up to my local library as soon as I feel okay to go & borrow a few books, plus I owe them a few books from when I borrowed some for my daughters, a bunch of Junie B. Jones. Now she doesn't need 'em as we brought her own thru her school's Scholastic Book It orders. :)

Awesome thead! There are some books I have wanted to read. I do have the "Deaf like Me" one, had it for many years as it was a gift from my Mom & I loved the book. I've probably read it like at least 5 times!

I wanna go up to my local library as soon as I feel okay to go & borrow a few books, plus I owe them a few books from when I borrowed some for my daughters, a bunch of Junie B. Jones. Now she doesn't need 'em as we brought her own thru her school's Scholastic Book It orders. :)

If you can't find the ones you want at your local library, be sure to ask them to look on line through the interlibrary loan. They can get them from another library in your state for you.

Personal accounts of growing up oral deaf. And the title alone tells you what the major problems are.

And your judging a book by its cover, although in this case, its title, only serves to display your ignorance.

If you had read Kisor's book, then you would have understood the title in its proper context, but then, its about oral deaf people so you know only one mode: a negative attack.

Henry Kisor is a noted columnist for either the Chicago Sun Times or the Trib, he has authored books on several different topics including his interest in trains and train travel, he is also a pilot and participates in various deaf "fly-ins". Bonnie Tucker, who if I remember is an accomplished single Mom, is both a lawyer and a Professor.

Major "problems", you should be lucky to have half their "problems".

Read the books, you might actually learn something, become more open minded and tolerant towards those who chose a different path but who are still deaf.

Wait...nah, that will never happen.

ta-ta
Rick

PS Henry Kisor was a Pulitzer Prize finalist for "What's that Pig Outdoors" but then, you probably already knew that when you launched your attack on his book.

Last edited:
Another book that I do not think anyone has mentioned is "Train Go Sorry" by Leah Hager (sp?).
Rick

Geez, now I feel like raiding all the bookstores to buy all these books. Tmw, I plan on buying one book with a "Deaf" view and one with a "Hearing or CI" view. I really want to learn more about both views. :) Hey..doesnt mean I am gonna change my views. LOL! :giggle:

Rick

I love that book..
"Whats that Pig Outdoors" by Henry Kisor

I got to read it again. it has been over 10 years ago when I read his book!

My mom has the book, I will have to go to her house to borrow that book, I also have few other books, which I have finish READ them all.. got to take care of my family and myself :)

Wendy

Back