Books about deafness & CI

Sorry if there are any repeats...

* Inside Deaf Culture by Carol Padden and Tom Humphries
* Deaf Like Me by Thomas and James Spradley
* Forbidden Signs by Douglas Baynton

I have a lot more, but I'm not feeling terribly ambitious right now. :)

I remember watching a made for TV movie that originated from the US about a CODA girl growing up in the 1920s or 1930s. The deaf couple had another child but that child was killed early on and they depended on the hearing daughter to get through life and interpret for them.

Eventually the hearing daughter rebelled against the dependency and got married and moved away. I think (but am not sure) that the daughter may have been ashamed of her parents because her father went and got a hearing aid when he came to meet her future husband's parents and it was obvious it did nothing for him. The movie ended with a happy ending where they reunited - I guess the daughter stopped being ashamed of her parents and the parents realised she needed her own life? I saw the movie as a teen. Anyone else see it? I reckon it was made in the 1980s?

R2D2 said:
I remember watching a made for TV movie that originated from the US about a CODA girl growing up in the 1920s or 1930s. The deaf couple had another child but that child was killed early on and they depended on the hearing daughter to get through life and interpret for them.

Eventually the hearing daughter rebelled against the dependency and got married and moved away. I think (but am not sure) that the daughter may have been ashamed of her parents because her father went and got a hearing aid when he came to meet her future husband's parents and it was obvious it did nothing for him. The movie ended with a happy ending where they reunited - I guess the daughter stopped being ashamed of her parents and the parents realised she needed her own life? I saw the movie as a teen. Anyone else see it? I reckon it was made in the 1980s?
I Believe that is "Bridge to Silence" with Marlee Matlin I guess. is that right guys?

Another movie with a deaf boy that I remember watching many years ago was "Clown White" about a deaf boy who is befriended by a woman who is a mime, and together they learn to communicate.

I know there's another CI book out there, I borrowed it from the deaf school library 2 or 3 years ago, just can't remember the title.

but "Rebuilt" is a really good book. I've read it, and enjoyed it.

I am so sorry but by mistake I wrote the name of the The Heart is a Lonely Hunter author WRONG!!

Its CARSON MCCULLERS.
McCullers.
See here please;

0618526412.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I have this exact copy and if I remember correctly onn the cover is Miss McCullers herself.

She was only 23 when she wrote this book!

read about here here:

http://www.carson-mccullers.com/html/hunter.html

Fuzzy

cdmeggers said:
I know there's another CI book out there, I borrowed it from the deaf school library 2 or 3 years ago, just can't remember the title.

Did you read "Wired for Sound: A Journey into Hearing" by Beverly Biderman
You'll like that too if you want to read about the learning process from hookup of CI to understanding...

Boult said:
I Believe that is "Bridge to Silence" with Marlee Matlin I guess. is that right guys?

That must have been the name of the movie BUT I have the book (somehwhere) and it was titled "In This Sign" -- my mother gave that book to me a long time ago -- when I read R2D2's post I remembered that book, especially the part where the dad bought the hearing aid. A very poigant (sp?) book!
Guess I'll just tear the house apart looking for that book!
(And I don't think I ever saw that movie)

greema said:
That must have been the name of the movie BUT I have the book (somehwhere) and it was titled "In This Sign" -- my mother gave that book to me a long time ago -- when I read R2D2's post I remembered that book, especially the part where the dad bought the hearing aid. A very poigant (sp?) book!
HAve a look here... Good info in the Customer feedback...
Marsha Binau (Tecumseh,Oklahoma)
I am a Sign Language interpreter. I am with deaf people every day. This book is a wonderful, accurate account of how many deaf people feel about the hearing world.
Hearing people will never be able to understand how frustrating a deaf person's life often is. It is hard to have to go through an interpreter for all your business and often private transactions.
This book beautifully told the story from both sides, and I highly recommend it to anyone.
Thank you.
Marsha Binau

Boult said:
I don't think that is the movie that R2D2 is talking about. I have seen "Bridge to Silence" and from what R2D2 described about the movie that she had seen sounds different from "Bridge to Silence".

cdmeggers said:

Agreed. Incredibly informative and unbiased. This came as a bit of a surprise to me: It's required reading for all Honors Program students at Gallaudet this fall.

ayala920 said:
Agreed. Incredibly informative and unbiased. This came as a bit of a surprise to me: It's required reading for all Honors Program students at Gallaudet this fall.
I find that surprising. While I have never read the book in question, I certainly don't confuse it with literary masterpieces like those written by Poe, Kafta, Melville, Hemingway, et. al. I wonder if the Honors Program has a rationale behind the decision that all of its students must read 'Rebuilt'?

Eyeth said:
I find that surprising. While I have never read the book in question, I certainly don't confuse it with literary masterpieces like those written by Poe, Kafta, Melville, Hemingway, et. al. I wonder if the Honors Program has a rationale behind the decision that all of its students must read 'Rebuilt'?

We're reading two books this year, actually. Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamonds , a book which attempts to compared historical developments in a variety of countries over the last 15,000 years. Quite a task, if you ask me. The other one is, as previously mentioned, Rebuilt by Michael Chorost. I'm very curious to see what the attitudes of those discussing the book will be.

greema said:
alright, then I haven't read that book. nope..

Cloggy said:
HAve a look here... Good info in the Customer feedback...
I see, I'll have to borrow that book from library if I can and read it up when I can.

ButterflyGirl said:
I don't think that is the movie that R2D2 is talking about. I have seen "Bridge to Silence" and from what R2D2 described about the movie that she had seen sounds different from "Bridge to Silence".
Yeah, Greema pointed that out... and I agree, different but I do recall a old move something like a black and white movie that involve deaf characters. I can't recall the name. thank you :)

ayala920 said:
no kidding that "Rebuilt" was required reading? wow!

Eyeth said:
I guess it is about exposing those students to learn what it is than continue throwing misconceptions about ci in our faces when we discuss ci anywhere?

i have one book that's not named on the list..

i think its called 'journey to silence" by dora webber a minnesotan writer who have CI and talks about her hearing loss

Boult said:
I guess it is about exposing those students to learn what it is than continue throwing misconceptions about ci in our faces when we discuss ci anywhere?
While that is an admirable aim, it really isn't the point of the Honors Program at Gallaudet.

Back