Books about deafness & CI

Moderators,
I didn't say anything, because it looked as if we were back on topic, but it seems to go on - and on....

Is it possible to transfer the interesting - but off-topic - stuff into a new thread and leave this thread to books and film / video.

Thanks

I just finished Bridge to Sound With a 'Bionic' Ear, by Cynthia Farley. It's really more of a compilation of stories from people who either received a cochlear implant or are a parent of a child that received one. Interesting reading!

I've also read the books mentioned earlier: Rebuilt, Hear Again and currently have Wired for Sound (although I haven't started it yet). All were good, worthwhile reading if you're interested in reading about cochlear implants.

There have been some new movies about CI's out lately too:

Sweet Nothing in My Ear, a TV movie starring Marlee Matlin and Jeff Daniels

Hear and Now, a documentary that I believe is currently airing on HBO right now.

I enjoyed the documentary more than the movie, but they were both good! We just finished watching Sound & Fury (an older documentary) and they have updated that documentary; the new one is called Sound & Fury: Six Years Later

"Whats that Pig Outdoors" by Henry Kisor and a book by Bonnie Tucker, the title I have forgotten are both personal accounts of growing up deaf.
Rick

Rick, i have wanted to read that Kisor book for a while now! thanks for reminding about it. Have u by any chance read "Seeing Voices" by Oliver Sachs?

And your judging a book by its cover, although in this case, its title, only serves to display your ignorance.

If you had read Kisor's book, then you would have understood the title in its proper context, but then, its about oral deaf people so you know only one mode: a negative attack.

Henry Kisor is a noted columnist for either the Chicago Sun Times or the Trib, he has authored books on several different topics including his interest in trains and train travel, he is also a pilot and participates in various deaf "fly-ins". Bonnie Tucker, who if I remember is an accomplished single Mom, is both a lawyer and a Professor.

Major "problems", you should be lucky to have half their "problems".

Read the books, you might actually learn something, become more open minded and tolerant towards those who chose a different path but who are still deaf.

Wait...nah, that will never happen.

ta-ta
Rick

PS Henry Kisor was a Pulitzer Prize finalist for "What's that Pig Outdoors" but then, you probably already knew that when you launched your attack on his book.

*applause* :gpost:

The oralist attitude has created the social construction of deaf as disabled. To persist in this attitude and philosophy, despite the decades of empirical evidence that hte oral approach does not benefit the deaf child either educaitonally, socially, or personally is to continue to marginalize and label an entire population of people based on ethnocentric and incorrect perceptions. It contiues to have negative consequences for the deaf child, as speech is emphasized over knowledge and education. Literacy rates plumment in the fact of strict oralism, and there is suffucient research out there to support that claim. Oral successes are no more numerous today than they were 100 years ago, they are simply more publicized. They are still few and far between when considered in the whole of the experience of deafness. Oralist attitudes prometoe the acceptance of oppression for all minority peoples, and are intolerant of diversity. If you can't see the threat such attitudes and practices hold, I truly feel sorry for you. How about reading the book?

First off, i realize this is a bit off topic...
Jillio, I know it must seem like im trying to fight, and im really not. i REALLY tried sitting on my hands on this one, LOL. but i have to point something out... and this is NOT an attack on u Jillio, just an observation... don't u think by saying "The oralist attitude has created the social construction of deaf as disabled." is a bit misleading? not all oral advocates see deafness as a DISABILITY, per se. and not all oral deaf people view themselves as disabled. I was raised in a 100% oral environment and never did i associate it with the feeling of disabled.

Perhaps it will give you a clue as to how truly destructive your attitude and your ignorance can be to society.

OUCH! see, this is exactly what i have a problem with. That is very insulting to Rick. why would u flat out call someone destructive and ignorant. I read Rick's post about his daughter, and while i do not know Rick, he seems FAR from being destructive and ignorant.
I would be a bit more careful with what words u choose.
and let me just say it is NOT ur OPINION I have a problem with. you have every right to express that, just I and everyone else does. But its ur phrasing and ur approach. I'm sorry but u were a bit disrespectful in the statement above.

"The fact is that when my wife and I were considering the implant for our daughter we heard the same basic arguments against the cochlear implant: they do not work, your child will never develop speech with a ci, you are trying to turn your child into a hearing person, you do not love your child, you do not accept your child, what effect will it have upon Deaf Culture, you are trying to cure her deafness, you are being brainwashed by the professionals, etc. Much of the same misinformation that is still out there today.
But we did our research, met with deaf people both pro and con, met with professionals both pro and con, met with ci adults, parents of ci kids and ci kids themselves (although at that time there were not so many) did a lot of soul searching and made a decision that we felt, was with our daughter's best interests in our minds and in our hearts. Mind you too that all our wonderful implant team ever told us was that it might give her some access to sound and at all times emphasized that it was our decision to make and ours alone. I know I am condensing a process that took over a year into a few sentences, so please forgive me but in the end, we chose to give our daughter the benefits and opportunities of the cochlear implant. We knew we had no gurantees.
Our daughter was born into a rather large and extended family who have always loved her unconditionally and we felt it was important that she be given every opportunity to be a part of her family, her neighborhood and her community. We also wanted her to have the best education possible. We chose what we thought was best for her but we have never felt or stated it is the only way for all children or that every child should have a ci. It is a personal decision to be made by the child's parents and it is not our place to comment upon the decision others have made.
For us, the cochlear implant has exceeded all of our hopes and expectations. Our daughter is becoming a young adult (although even we question that at times!) who has unlimited opportunities ahead of her. She has great relationships with her parents, her sister, her grandparents and the rest of her family. An honor student in high school, a dean's list student in college, scholarship winner, multi-sport athlete, works and someone who possesses the most positive outlook about herself and others that I have ever met.
The complete antithesis of the negative stereotype she paints of ci teens and young adults.
So when I think of that in light of the relationship my wife and I enjoy with our daughter, my response to you about someone who says I am "destructive" to society is twofold: a wee bit melodramatic and consider the source.
To me, as I have said before there is no one way to raise any child and while we may have taken different paths we probably all share the same goals and desires for our children. Also, while a ci may not be for everyone, every parent should have the right to consider it as an option for their child.
Regards,
Rick

Rick,
I would just like to say i really enjoyed hearing ur story about ur daughter. u and ur wife seem like how my parents were when they found out i was deaf. (no i do not have a CI, i wear two hearing aids. reason why they chose not to get a CI was because when i was diagnosed it was too new technology, WAY too new. this was in the early 80s) but as far as love and dedication goes, yeah u remind me of how mine are. i do share similar accomplishments as ur daughter and i give all the credit my parents for helping instill such a confident attitude in me.
ur kid is lucky to have u & ur wife! :thumb: keep it up!

First off, i realize this is a bit off topic...
Jillio, I know it must seem like im trying to fight, and im really not. i REALLY tried sitting on my hands on this one, LOL. but i have to point something out... and this is NOT an attack on u Jillio, just an observation... don't u think by saying "The oralist attitude has created the social construction of deaf as disabled." is a bit misleading? not all oral advocates see deafness as a DISABILITY, per se. and not all oral deaf people view themselves as disabled. I was raised in a 100% oral environment and never did i associate it with the feeling of disabled.

No, I don't think it is misleading in the least, but judging from your answer, and this is not an attack on you, either, you have totally misuderstood the meaning of my statement. It doesn't refer to oral deaf people's perception of themselves, or oral advocates viewing deafness as a disability. It refers to the creation of barriers, eg social construction, that has resulted in deafness being treated as a disability. Sociological concept, quite valid and supported throughout history.

OUCH! see, this is exactly what i have a problem with. That is very insulting to Rick. why would u flat out call someone destructive and ignorant. I read Rick's post about his daughter, and while i do not know Rick, he seems FAR from being destructive and ignorant.
I would be a bit more careful with what words u choose.
and let me just say it is NOT ur OPINION I have a problem with. you have every right to express that, just I and everyone else does. But its ur phrasing and ur approach. I'm sorry but u were a bit disrespectful in the statement above.

You are new to this board, and very unfamiliar with much of the history. I suggest you do a bit more observation before you start to pass judgement on anything. Especially when you revive an old thread.

You are new to this board, and very unfamiliar with much of the history. I suggest you do a bit more observation before you start to pass judgement on anything. Especially when you revive an old thread.

Jillio, u are right. I stand corrected. its true, I am new here, and so I am not aware of full histories. its just that ur comment stung me and so i was quick to judge here in this thread. my apologies.

Jillio, u are right. I stand corrected. its true, I am new here, and so I am not aware of full histories. its just that ur comment stung me and so i was quick to judge here in this thread. my apologies.

Not a problem.

Rick,
I would just like to say i really enjoyed hearing ur story about ur daughter. u and ur wife seem like how my parents were when they found out i was deaf. (no i do not have a CI, i wear two hearing aids. reason why they chose not to get a CI was because when i was diagnosed it was too new technology, WAY too new. this was in the early 80s) but as far as love and dedication goes, yeah u remind me of how mine are. i do share similar accomplishments as ur daughter and i give all the credit my parents for helping instill such a confident attitude in me.
ur kid is lucky to have u & ur wife! :thumb: keep it up!

sirena rossa,

Thank you very much for your kind words, especially the comparison to your parents. In reality my wife is a fantastic mother to both our girls. It was not the journey we ever imagined in our wildest dreams but looking back it has been an amazing ride as our daughter and us have been blessed to meet some of the best people in the world in the deaf community and our daughter has blossomed into young adult.

No, I have not yet Oliver Sachs' book. As for the "history" those posts pretty much sum it up. That is the excuse she uses everytime and why I have had that person on my ignore list for months until recently.

Take care and hope you continue to post,
Rick

sirena rossa,

Thank you very much for your kind words, especially the comparison to your parents. In reality my wife is a fantastic mother to both our girls. It was not the journey we ever imagined in our wildest dreams but looking back it has been an amazing ride as our daughter and us have been blessed to meet some of the best people in the world in the deaf community and our daughter has blossomed into young adult.

No, I have not yet Oliver Sachs' book. As for the "history" those posts pretty much sum it up. That is the excuse she uses everytime and why I have had that person on my ignore list for months until recently.

Take care and hope you continue to post,
Rick

Thanks for illustrating my point.:ty:

BTW, sirena rossa....I have read Seeing Voices by Sacks, and it is an excellent foray into the neurological and cultural aspects of deafness. He is one of the few medical professionals that does not take a patholgical view.

BTW, sirena rossa....I have read Seeing Voices by Sacks, and it is an excellent foray into the neurological and cultural aspects of deafness. He is one of the few medical professionals that does not take a patholgical view.

I was recommended "Seeing Voices" by Oliver Sacks by a hearing friend of mine who kept insisting that I should read it. Eventually I gave in and bought myself a copy, reading it a few weeks ago. Wished I had read it much sooner. Absolutely fantastic book and based on solid research (though it is a little dated in some areas such as brain plasticity). I cannot recommend it highly enough and I found it easy to read.

........ I cannot recommend it highly enough and I found it easy to read.
It was a book I read before our daughter was born. (I read more of Oliver Sacks book.. great stuff.) When we found out Lotte was deaf, I reread it.. Like you said.. Wonderful book.

Back