Books about deafness & CI

Getting back on topic...

Books & films regarding deafness, deaf culture, history

Research
* "Seeing Voices" by Oliver Sachs - 1990
* "Mask of Benevolence" by Harlan Lane - 1993 (The CI-part of the book is really out of date and really not valid any more.)
* "A Journey into the Deaf-World" by Harlan L. Lane, et al - 1996
* "When the mind Hears" by Harlan Lane - 1989
* "Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language: Hereditary Deafness in Martha's Vineyard" by Nora Groce - 1988
* "Laurent Clerc - The Story of His Early Years" by Cathryn Carroll - 1991
* "The History of Deaf People" by Per Eriksson - 1993
* "Laurant Clerc: The Story of His Early Years" by Cathryn Carroll - 2002
* “Psychological Perspectives on Deafness” by Marshark, et.al.
* "Meeting Halfway in American Sign Language" - Bernard Bragg & Jack R. Olson 1994
* "A Dictionary of Idioms For the Deaf" - Maxine Tull Boatner, Ph.D. & John Edward Gates, B.D., S.T.M. First Edition reprinted NAD 1969
* "Handbook to Service the Deaf and Hard of Hearing - a Bridge to Accessibility" - John W. Adams & Pamela S. Rohring 2004
* "Deaf Heritage" - Jack R. Gannon 1981
* "Communicating With Deaf Children" - Edited by Tom Bertling
* "Deaf World - A Historical Reader and Primary Sourcebook" edited by Lois Bragg published 2001

(Non-)Fiction
* "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" by Carson Cullers - 2004
* "Deafening" by Frances Itani - 2003
* “Inside Deaf Culture” by Carol Padden and Tom Humphries(2005).
* “Dancing without Music: Deafness in America” by Beryl L. Benderly (1980).
* “Deaf Like Me” by Thomas Spradley
* “Sound and Sign” by Kathryn Meadows and Hilde Schlesinger
* “The Other Side of Silence” by Arden Neisser
* "Whats that Pig Outdoors" by Henry Kisor
* “Deaf Again” by Mark Drolsbaugh.
* “For Hearing People Only” - Matthew Moore
* “The Feel of Silence” by Bonnie Poitras Tucker
* “Train Go Sorry" by Leah Hager
* “Summary of Deaf Hearing Boy” - R.H. Miller
* “Lend Me an Ear: The Temperament, Selection and Training of the Hearing Ear Dog” by Martha Hoffman
* “The Deaf Musicians” by Pete Seeger (also a kids book)

Movies
* "Sound and Fury" by Josh Aronson and Scott Davidson (Documentary)
* "Mr. Holland's Opus" Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation - 1996 (Film)
* "Children Of A Lesser God" Paramount Home Entertainment - 1986 (Film)
* "Bridge to Silence" - ?

Books and films regarding CI
* "Cecilia's Story Introduction" and "Hearing Your Life " available from by Advance Bionics (Documentary)
* "Jacobs journey" available from Cochlear (Documentary)

(Non-) Fiction
* “Rebuilt: How Becoming Part Computer Made Me More Human” by Michael Chorost - 2006
* “Wired for Sound: A Journey into Hearing” by Beverly Biderman – 1999
* “Cochlear Implants: a Handbook” by Bonnie Poitras Tucker (SoundBytes)
* “Hear Again Back to life with a Cochlear Implant” by Arlene Romo

----------------------------------

Please feel free to copy the list and rearrange the titles under the correct heading......

Some of the books listed under research are actually non-fiction and some of the books listed under non-fiction are actually research.

Would anyone care to comment on this issue? Is this because of the structure of the language, similar to how Spanish differs from English (i.e. "straw hat" v. "hat of straw")?

I don't wish to hurt anyone's feelings, but I have noticed that some ASL users have a very difficult time writing. Is it because they are writing as ASL sentences are structured while signing, rather than how English is written?

I would like someone to explain it to me too. I have a hard time understanding what is being said in some of the posts on here. Some things are totally scrambled. Being proficient in ASL does not mean a person doesnt read books, therefore I see no reason for bad grammar.

Books & films regarding deafness, deaf culture, history

Research
* "Seeing Voices" by Oliver Sachs - 1990* "Mask of Benevolence" by Harlan Lane - 1993 (The CI-part of the book is really out of date and really not valid any more.)
* "A Journey into the Deaf-World" by Harlan L. Lane, et al - 1996
* "When the mind Hears" by Harlan Lane - 1989
*Vineyar "Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language: Hereditary Deafness in Martha's d" by Nora Groce - 1988* "Laurent Clerc - The Story of His Early Years" by Cathryn Carroll - 1991
* "The History of Deaf People" by Per Eriksson - 1993* "Laurant Clerc: The Story of His Early Years" by Cathryn Carroll - 2002* “Psychological Perspectives on Deafness” by Marshark, et.al.
* "Meeting Halfway in American Sign Language" - Bernard Bragg & Jack R. Olson 1994* "A Dictionary of Idioms For the Deaf" - Maxine Tull Boatner, Ph.D. & John Edward Gates, B.D., S.T.M. First Edition reprinted NAD 1969* "Handbook to Service the Deaf and Hard of Hearing - a Bridge to Accessibility" - John W. Adams & Pamela S. Rohring 2004
* "Deaf Heritage" - Jack R. Gannon 1981* "Communicating With Deaf Children" - Edited by Tom Bertling
* "Deaf World - A Historical Reader and Primary Sourcebook" edited by Lois Bragg published 2001

Tjhe above bolded titles are not research. They are nonfiction books.
(Non-)Fiction
* "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" by Carson Cullers - 2004
* "Deafening" by Frances Itani - 2003
* “Inside Deaf Culture” by Carol Padden and Tom Humphries(2005).
* “Dancing without Music: Deafness in America” by Beryl L. Benderly (1980).
* “Deaf Like Me” by Thomas Spradley
* “Sound and Sign” by Kathryn Meadows and Hilde Schlesinger* “The Other Side of Silence” by Arden Neisser
* "Whats that Pig Outdoors" by Henry Kisor
* “Deaf Again” by Mark Drolsbaugh.
* “For Hearing People Only” - Matthew Moore
* “The Feel of Silence” by Bonnie Poitras Tucker
* “Train Go Sorry" by Leah Hager
* “Summary of Deaf Hearing Boy” - R.H. Miller
* “Lend Me an Ear: The Temperament, Selection and Training of the Hearing Ear Dog” by Martha Hoffman
* “The Deaf Musicians” by Pete Seeger (also a kids book)

The above bolded book is research.

Movies
* "Mr. Holland's Opus" Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation - 1996 (Film)
* "Children Of A Lesser God" Paramount Home Entertainment - 1986 (Film)
* "Bridge to Silence" - ?

Books and films regarding CI
* "Cecilia's Story Introduction" and "Hearing Your Life " available from by Advance Bionics (Documentary)
* "Jacobs journey" available from Cochlear (Documentary)

(Non-) Fiction
* “Rebuilt: How Becoming Part Computer Made Me More Human” by Michael Chorost - 2006
* “Wired for Sound: A Journey into Hearing” by Beverly Biderman – 1999
* “Cochlear Implants: a Handbook” by Bonnie Poitras Tucker (SoundBytes)
* “Hear Again Back to life with a Cochlear Implant” by Arlene Romo

----------------------------------

Please feel free to copy the list and rearrange the titles under the correct heading......

Let Cloggy rearrange his own posts, or, if you so choose, you can do it for him. I just wanted to point out that what is being listed in the research section is definately not research.

Jillio,

those listed under "research" are mentioned several times in research publications. *shrug*

Or he means that he use them for research purpose. who knows

Jillio

he listed those as what he already own and seen or read.

I already listed mine in page one.. that's what I have in my possession and/or seen/read.

Jillio,

those listed under "research" are mentioned several times in research publications. *shrug*

Or he means that he use them for research purpose. who knows

When they are mentioned in research publications, it is meant that they are good source books to use to find a starting point for an actual research design, not that they are actually books containing research. They could also be mentioned in a research publication because they have been used in a scientific literature review. But that still doesn't make them research. And I doubt seriously that cloggy has ever done any research.

But, I am not being argumentative, Boult. It is important that people understand that what sometimes is referred to as research is no more than expert opinion and interpretation. It doesn't prove or disprove any hypothesis, nor does it offer statistical evidence in support of any theory. And I've seen you request several times that people not speread innacurate information.

Jillio

he listed those as what he already own and seen or read.

I already listed mine in page one.. that's what I have in my possession and/or seen/read.

I went back tot he post you are referring toand didn't see where it said he had either read or owned the books mentioned. Your post didn't either. But I don't understand what that has to do with the fact that some books were listed under research that don't belong there.

I spent many years hopping on my push bike and peddling from my wee church school to the big public school down the road for my twice weekly speech therapy, this was during primary school days. I dont think I missed out on any other part of my education by doing this.

Perhaps you didn't, but there are those that did, and continue to do so.

According to the literature provided in Boult's link, which cites a large number of recent studies, this doesn't appear to have occurred for children with CIs, when taken as a whole group. Children with CIs in both TC and oral programs appear to be doing well in literacy and education measures when compared to non CI children with similar controls, with the oral CI group appearing to have the edge.

Can you elaborate more on why you feel that CI deaf children (I assume you are referring to CI children here) will suffer declines in literacy if educated orally? Are you saying that you believe history prior to CIs will repeat itself?

I really am open to listening to your reasoning here.

Which of Boult's links are you referring to? Once I have reviewed that, I will be happy to provide my reasoning, but since you mentioned the link, would like to do so in light of that particular information. Thanks!

on these bad days I will go on my exercise bike and read it while im on it :)

I also bought a books through amazon.com..

• Rebuilt: How Becoming Part Computer Made Me More Human by Michael Chorost
  • Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss
    by Dr Fuhrman.

Eat to Live I was recommend by my Dr. because I told her that I was checking into Dr. Andrew Weil Website that I was interesting on checking out more of nature ways of eating healthy without depending on dr for pills etc.. altho I m healthy but overweight i admit :giggle: but so far I lost so much weight and I bought this book for my own reason and for everyone in this house. Im going to try change my husband's eating health too he has bad high blood pressure turn out He is allergic to high blood pressure medication :( so that gives me a good choice to buy this book. Plus I figure while I bought t his one why not buy one of these other books for CI and others.. :)

Sorry for going :topic:

Wendy

Which of Boult's links are you referring to? Once I have reviewed that, I will be happy to provide my reasoning, but since you mentioned the link, would like to do so in light of that particular information. Thanks!

Sorry, I missed this post. The link is on post #103 - Boult listed the two particular articles of interest.

Sorry, I missed this post. The link is on post #103 - Boult listed the two particular articles of interest.

Thanks, I'll go there now. Please give me some time to pull some articles of my own;) before I respond.

Back