Books about deafness & CI

Eyeth said:
While that is an admirable aim, it really isn't the point of the Honors Program at Gallaudet.
ah okay, still wonders why it is on the list of required reading? Is that something you are going to find out later on?

ayala920 said:
We're reading two books this year, actually. Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamonds , a book which attempts to compared historical developments in a variety of countries over the last 15,000 years. Quite a task, if you ask me. The other one is, as previously mentioned, Rebuilt by Michael Chorost. I'm very curious to see what the attitudes of those discussing the book will be.
:Ohno: I should consider myself so lucky! I only had to read one book, IIRC. It was none other than Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe. I may also have read Cousin Bette by Honore De Balzac, but I can't remember if it was a required reading for the Honors Program at the time.

Boult said:
ah okay, still wonders why it is on the list of required reading? Is that something you are going to find out later on?
Heh. No, not really. It would be nice to know, but if it remains one of my life's unsolved mysteries, so be it. :)

Eyeth said:
Heh. No, not really. It would be nice to know, but if it remains one of my life's unsolved mysteries, so be it. :)
okay haha..

*Removed my last comment because it sounded a bit snippy*

This is at least the 2nd year that HP students have read two books, in addition to the one required for all new students. Last year it was The Created Selfby Robert Weber and The Road to Wellville by T.C. Boyle

Boult said:

Methinks it's part of Gallaudet's plan to turn bright students against each other and start a civil war of sorts on campus.

ayala920 said:
Methinks it's part of Gallaudet's plan to turn bright students against each other and start a civil war of sorts on campus.
LOL

Updating the list

Books & films regarding deafness, deaf culture, history
Research
* "Seeing Voices" by Oliver Sachs - 1990
* "Mask of Benevolence" by Harlan Lane - 1993 (The CI-part of the book is really out of date and really not valid any more.)
* "A Journey into the Deaf-World" by Harlan L. Lane, et al - 1996
* "When the mind Hears" by Harlan Lane - 1989
* "Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language: Hereditary Deafness in Martha's Vineyard" by Nora Groce - 1988
* "Laurent Clerc - The Story of His Early Years" by Cathryn Carroll - 1991
* "The History of Deaf People" by Per Eriksson - 1993
* "Laurant Clerc: The Story of His Early Years" by Cathryn Carroll - 2002

(Non-)Fiction
* "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" by Carson Cullers - 2004
* "Deafening" by Frances Itani - 2003

Movies
* "Sound and Fury" by Josh Aronson and Scott Davidson (Documentary)
* "Mr. Holland's Opus" Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation - 1996 (Film)
* "Children Of A Lesser God" Paramount Home Entertainment - 1986 (Film)

Books and films regarding CI
* "Sound and Fury" by Josh Aronson and Scott Davidson (Documentary)
* "Cecilia's Story Introduction" and "Hearing Your Life " available from by Advance Bionics (Documentary)
* "Jacobs journey" available from Cochlear (Documentary)

(Non-) Fiction
* "Rebuilt: How Becoming Part Computer Made Me More Human" by Michael Chorost - 2006
* "Wired for Sound: A Journey into Hearing" by Beverly Biderman - 1999
List update...

Last edited:
Dont forget to add " For Hearing People Only" that helps you to understand about us and our Deaf Culture. ;)

Sweetmind said:
Dont forget to add " For Hearing People Only" that helps you to understand about us and our Deaf Culture. ;)
It's allready in there... See here.
Also, You should then put down that M.Moore wrote it...

From what I heared... it doesn't really help.

By the way... Can you explain something before you continue as if nothing happened? Click here ...

I like watching Sue Thomas, FB-Eye because it is one of the first television shows that has actually focused on what a deaf person CAN do as opposed to what their disability prevents them from doing. Lipreading is an integral part of the lead character, as well as her ability to speak clearly and precisely. Its nice to see a positive role model available to show the hearing community that not all deaf individuals are mute, or that they are unable to communicate without sign language or an interpereter. Its a nice change of pace!

Cloggy said:
HAve a look here... Good info in the Customer feedback...

Thanks, Cloggy -- that proves I'm not totally bonkers yet! :whistle:

I know I'll run across that book one of these days...

Boult said:
alright, then I haven't read that book. nope..

Boult, if you haven't read that book (In This Sign) yet then you should make every effort to do so soon! I think it was in the '40s or maybe even the '50s and you will understand why the father bought a H/A -- the reason was very surprising for me.
:thumb:

neecy said:
I like watching Sue Thomas, FB-Eye because it is one of the first television shows that has actually focused on what a deaf person CAN do as opposed to what their disability prevents them from doing. Lipreading is an integral part of the lead character, as well as her ability to speak clearly and precisely. Its nice to see a positive role model available to show the hearing community that not all deaf individuals are mute, or that they are unable to communicate without sign language or an interpereter. Its a nice change of pace!

Neecy, you know I have actually met Sue Thomas in person a couple of years ago at a Deaf Awareness presentation at work! Sue gave a great presentation of her life and how she was hired by FBI but she didn't work there very long -- cannot remember what she said (but she had said she was surprised that a TV series was made of her former career because it was a short one). At the end of the presentation she sang a favorite song from her childhood and even the interpreter cried while terping. And one guy who is late-deafened went off to the side and cried before he could compose himself enough to go talk to Sue. Wow! That IS one experience I could never forget! And I even have a picture of our deaf committee with Sue in the middle. Sue actually stood there and talked which was why we had an interpreter. My my, I cannot believe I forgot what song Sue sang -- it'll come to me later and I'll pop in and let you all know.

Cloggy said:
It's allready in there... See here.
Also, You should then put down that M.Moore wrote it...

From what I heared... it doesn't really help.

By the way... Can you explain something before you continue as if nothing happened? Click here ...

:hyper: what? what? what? :hyper:
I'd like to know what that link was -- and ..... ???? (I was actually surprised to see her pop up in this thread)

neecy said:

Can you remember off-hand if she signs? My first instincts say no, but I can't remember for sure.

Both the real Sue Thomas and the woman who portrays her on TV, Deanne Bray, were at an event I attended in Chicago a few years back. I was surprised to discovere that Deanne Bray uses ASL as her primary mode of communication.

ButterflyGirl said:
I don't think that is the movie that R2D2 is talking about. I have seen "Bridge to Silence" and from what R2D2 described about the movie that she had seen sounds different from "Bridge to Silence".

Yes, I googled "Bridge to Silence" and I am 100% certain that it's a different movie to the one I saw...

Eyeth said:
I find that surprising. While I have never read the book in question, I certainly don't confuse it with literary masterpieces like those written by Poe, Kafta, Melville, Hemingway, et. al. I wonder if the Honors Program has a rationale behind the decision that all of its students must read 'Rebuilt'?

It is nicely written though and it's an aspect of the experience of deafness. He had some quite positive things to say about deaf culture and language as well.

Back