bilateral CI kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine is the same. With the digital aid, it BEEPS at me. I hate it. LOL. (I tried to have that de-programmed only to find out that was not an option until the newer model came out that it could be done on. :( ) The other one that is not digital, it gets all funky and dies out funky. Such is life.

Yep....those beeps always seem to happen at the wrong time too. :lol:

Mine is the same. With the digital aid, it BEEPS at me. I hate it. LOL. (I tried to have that de-programmed only to find out that was not an option until the newer model came out that it could be done on. :( ) The other one that is not digital, it gets all funky and dies out funky. Such is life.

mine beep at me too... and it does get very annoying... thankfully with the amount of time that I wear my HA's... it only happens once every month or so... though before they start to beep I do notice some sort of eco

Same here, I notice the sound getting more hollow-echoy-somethingish, and then I get the stupid beeps. Because my hearing aids are set at the top range of the power too, my batteries die once or twice a week too. I hate the beeps!

Ahhh... so that's why it should be "blinded" - my mistake....

If you are referring to parents, then yes. They are blinded by their own needs and desires. You posted some unpublished research not long ago that supported just that notion.

If you are referring to parents, then yes. They are blinded by their own needs and desires. You posted some unpublished research not long ago that supported just that notion.

Which according to your criteria - being unpublished research - is worth nothing....
Or.. this particular one is OK..??

Which according to your criteria - being unpublished research - is worth nothing....
Or.. this particular one is OK..??

Nope, not worth much at all. But evidently, you thought it was worth something or you would not have posted it. I guess you didn't realize it supported what we have been saying for years.:dunno2:

Wirelessly posted (dorothybaez)

I'll bet that the little boy retains at least some memory of this interaction. If I'm right, then he will remember and be thankful for your kindness.

ok, so I went to the apple store last night to pick up my mac (was under warranty and getting worked on) so I walk in, and see this cute little boy, maybe 3 years old... with a flashing light on his head... he has a CI, then he turns... and he has bi-lateral CI's... I watch him for a while as I am waiting to be helped... and the little boy keeps looking at me too... so i try to start a conversation with him in ASL... hoping that his parents didn't just try to "fix" him... he looks at me and smiles... then runs up to his dad and starts pointing to me. I try to sign to the dad that his son is very cute... but he just voices something about 10 decibles... (I think he was trying to point out how his child is different than what I, a Deaf person, thinks)... well the little boy eventually does sign a little to me... and I lipread his dad saying that his son "signs a little. but doesn't 'need' it with the CI". I show the little boy my HA's... and then put them back in my pocket, and he is just looking at me smiling as I am signing to him. A few minutes later... he walked up to his dad, and took off both CI's and started to walk away, dad grabbed his son, and put them back on, this went back and forth for maybe 10 minutes... where the son didn't want the CI's on... dad wanted him to have them on... son wanted to be deaf... dad wanted him to be "hearing". Little boy kept coming up to me, and being super cute, he obviously didn't want his CI's on and his dad obviously wasn't going to let him get around that. It made me sad to see a little kid, so young, without the choice, to use a CI, or not... such a complicated surgery performed on such a young child, not once, but twice... AND depriving this child of sign language.

As much as I admire your willingness to stick up for this boy,
and as much as I agree this boy should be given a fair chance
to ASL and Deaf culture you weren't the most diplomatic in the way how you approached this.

First of all these were total strangers to you,
you had no way of knowing the dynamics of the family and the particulars
of the boys deafness and his CI story.

yet you approached them like you knew everything.

Second and most important thing - you do not indoctrinate a child, ever - what for?
He's too young, way too young for him to make a difference.

If you truly want to make a difference, you should have mostly had talked
to the father, not the child.
The child was but a 3 years old boy who couldn't recognize his butt from his head for all the good it would do him yet.

It actually says very well about the father that he was so willing to give you
all the time in the world to interact with his son,
and that the boy knew some sign at least.
You, on the other hand knew zero facts about both of them
and what have happened, how severe is the hearing loss,
why was he implanted and when, what REALLY are his parents plans etc.

For all we know the father didn't wish for the boy to remove his CI
at that particular moment because after all the boy needs to train
his listening and speech abilities - isn't it a requirement with a CI, anyway?
Perhaps there is a time set aside for a sign language as well later
or there are plans for it in the future- how could you know?

You had all the best intentions, unfortunately, again the approach wasn't the greatest.

I think always having on you some reading material for the parents that would educate them how important it is for these CI children not to lose contact with the Deaf and more so, ASL
and most of all - provide links where the parents can reach
someone with experience in such matters,
would make more difference than trying to convert a 3 years old powerless kid, I believe.

Fuzzy

Touche. I think everybody knows that little kids try to imitate other people around them that they like.

It's great that the original poster and the little boy can both communicate via sign language, but what about the other 99% of the population who don't sign? Don't you think life would be a little easier for him if he can communicate with normal hearing folks in their language?

99% of the population have two working hands and yet they can't learn sign language????

99% of the population have two working hands and yet they can't learn sign language????

They can,
but what is the likelihood that the average hearing person without
any deaf relatives will encounter
a deaf person to a degree that will require an extensive knowledge of SL?

We must take under consideration that to be even fairly basic in SL,
one must practice, practice, practice.

Where is the motivation behind if one talks to the mirror only, basically.

Fuzzy

A very very very poor comeback because blind people can communicate through spoken language or tactile sign language.
You lost that one, buddy. Lol

Why don't you learn braille?

They can,
but what is the likelihood that the average hearing person without
any deaf relatives will encounter
a deaf person to a degree that will require an extensive knowledge of SL?

We must take under consideration that to be even fairly basic in SL,
one must practice, practice, practice.

Where is the motivation behind if one talks to the mirror only, basically.

Fuzzy

:roll: You can find 1,001 stupid excuses for not learning ASL, and not a single one for learning it, despite the fact that you are "hearing impaired". (And yes, I used that term specific to you, as it fits you better.) And you wonder why people see audism written all over you. smh

As much as I admire your willingness to stick up for this boy,
and as much as I agree this boy should be given a fair chance
to ASL and Deaf culture you weren't the most diplomatic in the way how you approached this.

First of all these were total strangers to you,
you had no way of knowing the dynamics of the family and the particulars
of the boys deafness and his CI story.

yet you approached them like you knew everything.

Second and most important thing - you do not indoctrinate a child, ever - what for?
He's too young, way too young for him to make a difference.

If you truly want to make a difference, you should have mostly had talked
to the father, not the child.
The child was but a 3 years old boy who couldn't recognize his butt from his head for all the good it would do him yet.

It actually says very well about the father that he was so willing to give you
all the time in the world to interact with his son,
and that the boy knew some sign at least.
You, on the other hand knew zero facts about both of them
and what have happened, how severe is the hearing loss,
why was he implanted and when, what REALLY are his parents plans etc.

For all we know the father didn't wish for the boy to remove his CI
at that particular moment because after all the boy needs to train
his listening and speech abilities - isn't it a requirement with a CI, anyway?
Perhaps there is a time set aside for a sign language as well later
or there are plans for it in the future- how could you know?

You had all the best intentions, unfortunately, again the approach wasn't the greatest.

I think always having on you some reading material for the parents that would educate them how important it is for these CI children not to lose contact with the Deaf and more so, ASL
and most of all - provide links where the parents can reach
someone with experience in such matters,
would make more difference than trying to convert a 3 years old powerless kid, I believe.

Fuzzy

There are very few deaf people who try as hard as you do to come across as hearing. So sad.

This is what happens to children who never encounter a mentor such as Ash. They spend their lives trying to fit in and be hearing, and failing miserably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back