bilateral CI kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes I understand that, the approach may not have been the best, but I didn't touch the child, and I tried to talk with his dad too. His dad obviously didn't see me as a threat, because he was willing to let the little guy interact with me. And at one point, thankfully, his dad was actually encouraging him to sign to me, that was a good thing... but my original concern was that this little boy, 3 years old or so, was a bilateral CI kid, and his parents (or at least his) didn't sign, and was trying to pull the "my kid will be different" card... and when he was trying to be deaf... he wasn't allowed to be.

(and I don't think that post will make you unpopular Bott)

Thanks Ash. I am glad you don't take offense.

Thanks Ash. I am glad you don't take offense.

none at all. I understand you weren't attacking me, and I understood you were questioning the approach, which thinking back on it... yes I do see how that could have been better. And I know you are Pro-ASL, so no offense taken.

And a side note... when I was "chatting" with the little boy... he was actually closer to his father than before I started to, and as I was leaving... I saw him running around the store, straying farther from his father than he had been at any point during our encounter.

I hate it when I agree with the CI parents... :aw:

I don't like to be unpopular, but I would be upset a great deal if I was with my granddaughters, either the hearing, the hoh, or both and some stranger was making an approach like that.

I would not think of it as some hearing or deaf philosophy, but think it isn't safe to let kids think strangers approaching the is safe or right at all.

That's one thing all children should be taught.

You do have a point there. I raised a very, very outgoing child who, upon seeing someone with an HA or using sign, would start the conversation himself at the age of 3. More than once he would note that a senior citizen in the grocery or the pharmacy or somewhere would be wearing an HA and go out of his way to show that he, too, had an HA and would be signing "Deaf same me", usually to the older person's confusion as a late deafened HOH.:lol:

You do have a point there. I raised a very, very outgoing child who, upon seeing someone with an HA or using sign, would start the conversation himself at the age of 3. More than once he would note that a senior citizen in the grocery or the pharmacy or somewhere would be wearing an HA and go out of his way to show that he, too, had an HA and would be signing "Deaf same me", usually to the older person's confusion as a late deafened HOH.:lol:

my niece does that too! its quite cute, and it shows that she is seeing a connection between herself and someone else that isn't generally there. the thing most hearing people don't see, is that yes, she will go up to someone signing or someone with HA/CI's and try to start a conversation with them... but she won't go up to another blond person (she is blond) and say "blond same me" no... she sees the communication part... she isn't looking for just any similarity, but one that is a big part of who she is, how she communicates and she is looking for other people who understand her.
And thats what I was trying to show the little boy... that I too, am deaf, because growing up... I was so isolated, being told i was a "broken hearing person" and I don't want any child to grow up feeling the same way.

my niece does that too! its quite cute, and it shows that she is seeing a connection between herself and someone else that isn't generally there. the thing most hearing people don't see, is that yes, she will go up to someone signing or someone with HA/CI's and try to start a conversation with them... but she won't go up to another blond person (she is blond) and say "blond same me" no... she sees the communication part... she isn't looking for just any similarity, but one that is a big part of who she is, how she communicates and she is looking for other people who understand her.
And thats what I was trying to show the little boy... that I too, am deaf, because growing up... I was so isolated, being told i was a "broken hearing person" and I don't want any child to grow up feeling the same way.

And I very much admire you for your willingness to reach out.

There's a back-and-forth in my house with my son and his hearing aids. We understand that it's important for him to have access to sound and, if possible, develop speech skills simply to make it easier for him to interact with sign language impaired hearing folks, and most days he's fine with them, but there are those days we put his hearing aids on him and he'll get tears in his eyes and tell us how loud it is and that he doesn't like it, so we don't force it on him.

His ears, his choice.

MountainMan- if your son's hearing aids are so loud that they cause discomfort, it sounds like the Audiologist needs to adjust them. I do agree that it's not appropriate to force something on a child if they are not comfortable with it.

I hate it when I agree with the CI parents... :aw:

I don't like to be unpopular, but I would be upset a great deal if I was with my granddaughters, either the hearing, the hoh, or both and some stranger was making an approach like that.

I would not think of it as some hearing or deaf philosophy, but think it isn't safe to let kids think strangers approaching the is safe or right at all.

That's one thing all children should be taught.

I agree 100%. I don't comment in these threads often but I was thinking the same thing when I read the OP but I bit my tongue. Had I been the parent someone would have gotten a "face full of me" real fast. We are in an age where stangers don't need to be talking to 3 yos......in any language. IMO

I don't think they cause him any discomfort because he wears them without a problem most days. There are just some days he doesn't like all the noise, and I really can't blame him. I sometimes wish I could turn the volume down on my ears, too.

MountainMan- if your son's hearing aids are so loud that they cause discomfort, it sounds like the Audiologist needs to adjust them. I do agree that it's not appropriate to force something on a child if they are not comfortable with it.

Wow, really?

I agree 100%. I don't comment in these threads often but I was thinking the same thing when I read the OP but I bit my tongue. Had I been the parent someone would have gotten a "face full of me" real fast. We are in an age where stangers don't need to be talking to 3 yos......in any language. IMO

I guess that's the Texan way. Around here people are more friendly.

Well, there are times when I dont want to wear my hearing aids because I would be feeling ultra sensitive to sound due to lack of sleep or headaches not because of my hearing aids needing to be adjusted. It could be because the boy just didnt feel like wearing his CIs and the father was wrong for making him wear them.

Whenever I had my days being sensitive to sounds, I would become dizzy from the loud sounds and I remember getting sick from having to deal with them all day when my speech teacher forced me to keep them on at school.

I don't think they cause him any discomfort because he wears them without a problem most days. There are just some days he doesn't like all the noise, and I really can't blame him. I sometimes wish I could turn the volume down on my ears, too.

Just a thought. My HA tends to get a little static and a little more sensitive on the last day or 2 of battery life. It can be very irritating sometimes.

Just a thought. My HA tends to get a little static and a little more sensitive on the last day or 2 of battery life. It can be very irritating sometimes.

That's an interesting observation.

Yes exactly!!!!!! I still get exctied seeing other folks (ie young adults and little kids) with hearing aids!

Now that I have hearing aids, I am more observant to those with them as well. It's the deaf club secret handshake!

There's a back-and-forth in my house with my son and his hearing aids. We understand that it's important for him to have access to sound and, if possible, develop speech skills simply to make it easier for him to interact with sign language impaired hearing folks, and most days he's fine with them, but there are those days we put his hearing aids on him and he'll get tears in his eyes and tell us how loud it is and that he doesn't like it, so we don't force it on him.

His ears, his choice.

If only more parents could understand that.

Well, there are times when I dont want to wear my hearing aids because I would be feeling ultra sensitive to sound due to lack of sleep or headaches not because of my hearing aids needing to be adjusted. It could be because the boy just didnt feel like wearing his CIs and the father was wrong for making him wear them.

Whenever I had my days being sensitive to sounds, I would become dizzy from the loud sounds and I remember getting sick from having to deal with them all day when my speech teacher forced me to keep them on at school.

Whenever I had one of my migraines, sounds would have the same effect and even without has, sounds that I could hear bothered me.

Mine is the same. With the digital aid, it BEEPS at me. I hate it. LOL. (I tried to have that de-programmed only to find out that was not an option until the newer model came out that it could be done on. :( ) The other one that is not digital, it gets all funky and dies out funky. Such is life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back