bilateral CI kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Hears something"...
That's a huge understatement... HUGE..

What makes the 99% deaf? They don't hear enough to follow a conversation?

Who said "hears something" ?

If you're going to quote Sunshine, get it right. She said "hear". Exactly what YOU say about Lotte.

Post reported.

Don't get caught up in the nonsense, Sunny. Many have given this poster the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe he just needed to have the information presented so he could learn. Not so. This is someone who is a die hard audist, and unfortunately, is raising a deaf child in that discriminatory and destructive atmosphere. There is no discussing anything with him, as his intent is to try to make himself feel better by attempting to make deaf people look worse. He is not worth your time or your effort. There is nothing that can be done for his daughter until she is out from under his control. Then the Deaf community will help her heal just as they have helped others that were forced to live in such negativity.

Correct.. No deaf ones. Not thanks to me; thanks to where she lives. Where we live.
And your assumptions are way off..
You seem to think that the motive of parents of deaf children with CI is to keep them away from deaf people. It's not the case. The motive is to let them hear. To let them understand speech. To let them communicate with the family, friends, teachers, coaches etc. To let them have the possibility to communicate with the hearing world.
With that in mind, there is no priority in learning her how to be deaf.
She will or will not connect with deaf people, or even Deaf people, but it is not something that is actively searched for.

The general idea by Deaf people is that deafness / deaf is feared, avoided by the parents. But that's not the case. It's just not an issue.

Our decision has been to have Lotte grow up hearing. Time is spend with that in mind. In time, already now, Lotte will get interested in meeting other people that are hearing impaired. She is interested in sign language, loves to see it, try it out, and that's great. She's also interested in playing the piano and guitar. Sings all the time, and loves to chat with the neighbour downstairs. That's great as well..

So.. she would learn a lot if we would take her to a place where there would be a lot of sign language. However... she would miss a lot of other interaction...

It will happen. She will find deaf people at some time, and we will support her to investigate and learn. In time..

So.. try to get away from this idea that parents are keeping their child away from the Deaf world.. Realise that these parents don't care about the deaf world. They have no opinion, because they are focused on their child that can hear. That likes to hear.

And of course not all parents have a child that blossoms with hearing. They might see communication break down. For them I hope they will learn another form of comunication like sign language or cued speech, and I hope there is a deaf community close by in order to communicate in another way.. Communication is essential... ASL is not.

Ooh! Saw that. I'm a pianist myself. :wave:

You have met her.. on another messageboard.. But click the link under the post..
She's 9...

I have? I don't remember but thanks for the link below! I just bookmarked it. Great piano and she moving right along carrying a tune, too!

With the introduction of the iTouch, Iphone, IPad etc. in our house, the number of applications increased as well. One of the applications we have downloaded is a Norwegian Signlanguage Application..
We used signlanguage - well, signs, when Lotte couldn't hear, and in the time she started wearing CI. So, out of interest, we had a look at the application.
It's very good. Many words in alphabetical order with a video attached showing the sign. Obviously, it's "sign", not "signlanguage" but still good to have..
Of course, we showed it to Lotte who is interested in learning the signs... She loved it... part of "loving anything that moves on a touch-screen" but she is very interested in signing...

So.. Lotte wanted to have a go at it and loved it. Entering the words, looking at the video and repeating them to us - for us to guess what it meant... Great game..

Suddenly she say's "I'll turn the sound on so we can hear what the lady says." only to find that there was no sound with this application... She was so surprised.....
Then she smiled, looked at us and said.. "Yeh.! I can do that as well". Took off her CI's and continued playing with the application for a while..
Not too long... there's not enough sound to keep it interesting....
Lotte Sofie - Born august 2002, hearing since november 2004: Wait.. I'll turn on the sound...

Cool! She's interested in signing, too! She's going be one interesting girl when she gets older. Well, she already is!

I'm always looking for deaf/hh pianist. Maybe I'll blog about your daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back