bilateral CI kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well - I am a Deaf, can't hear, but can speak. This was in regards to him insinuating that he only wanted his CI daughter to be involved with hearing or deaf who can hear, not those of us who can't hear. Is there something wrong with those of us who can't hear, but we can still communicate in some fashion? NO!

I honestly never got that impression from Cloggy.

Perhaps there is a gap in communication in - between you guys?

Fuzzy

I honestly never got that impression from Cloggy.

Perhaps there is a gap in communication in - between you guys?

Fuzzy

I got same impression Kristina. There definitely "hearing trump deaf" attitude here.

Thank you for your opinion Jillio,

but I would appreciate if you also allow people to form their own POV.

Fuzzy

People around here always form their own opinions. Are you suggesting that the members here can't think for themselves?

I am basing my statement on having been a part of this Cloggy controversy, and having had numerous conversations with many members regarding such. They had formed their opinions some time ago, and communicated such.

I got same impression Kristina. There definitely "hearing trump deaf" attitude here.

Most certainly. It has always been that way. If one doesn't see it, it simply because one is blinded by their own audsim.

Do you live in a rather small town? Remote?
Excellent question...

Not really. 100.000 here... with a small deaf society.. Got a glimpse of it when Lotte went to kindergarten.. Went to Deaf church at one time but found that it was not the place to be at that time.
It's mainly deaf adults, with few children. In time it will be a great place for Lotte to learn sign...

But now.. Lotte needs to be immersed in Norwegian.. Sometimes its difficult because living with a Dutch family, the language at home is Dutch. This means there are some basic Norwegian words that she does not learn. The more time she spends in Norwegian (speaking) environment (friends - school - sports) the better.

A good example is when she comes from school. When asked about her day (in Dutch) she will be brief. To the point. When out (Norwegian) neighbour asks, she starts chatting away and keeps on talking... Obviously, school experiences need to be discussed in Norwegian...

Anyway...
We have the opportunity to contact the Deaf community here... but have decided that that time is better spent elsewhere..

However...
Most places in Norway are remote. Very few have more than 10.000 people.. Deaf Culture is not available in those places... Until 15-20 years ago deaf children were send to deaf schools from very early age.
CI has changed a lot in Norway..

Excellent question...

Not really. 100.000 here... with a small deaf society.. Got a glimpse of it when Lotte went to kindergarten.. Went to Deaf church at one time but found that it was not the place to be at that time.
It's mainly deaf adults, with few children. In time it will be a great place for Lotte to learn sign...

But now.. Lotte needs to be immersed in Norwegian.. Sometimes its difficult because living with a Dutch family, the language at home is Dutch. This means there are some basic Norwegian words that she does not learn. The more time she spends in Norwegian (speaking) environment (friends - school - sports) the better.

A good example is when she comes from school. When asked about her day (in Dutch) she will be brief. To the point. When out (Norwegian) neighbour asks, she starts chatting away and keeps on talking... Obviously, school experiences need to be discussed in Norwegian...

Anyway...
We have the opportunity to contact the Deaf community here... but have decided that that time is better spent elsewhere..

However...
Most places in Norway are remote. Very few have more than 10.000 people.. Deaf Culture is not available in those places... Until 15-20 years ago deaf children were send to deaf schools from very early age.
CI has changed a lot in Norway..

I see. Not familiar with Norway or its society. How old is your daughter? And has she an interest in signing? Any home signs? When was she implanted? Sounds like she's at an age where she can converse quite well, speech and listening. Also, if no nearby deaf children, any thought on the possibility of introducing some via webcams, for example?

I know. I couldn't believe the:

:shock:

Nice. (Note the sarcasm, please.)

People around here always form their own opinions. Are you suggesting that the members here can't think for themselves?

I am suggesting that members here can not only think for themselves
but form their own opinions, too,

so there is no need for you to reply for them:

Originally Posted by jillio
Lotte has never been given a choice.

And no, no one here agrees.

I'd rather hear this from other people's own mouth than yours - is what I am saying.

Fuzzy

Cloggy, if you so loathe identify Lotte deaf, and nobody your family deaf, and you not participate deaf community, WHY are you here?
I don't loathe it. Your words. Your interpretation.
How can I identify Lotte as deaf when she can hear.? She's born deaf. But is she deaf when she can hear.?
Her identity is hearing. She is surrounded by sounds..

Why I'm here...?? I like being insulted I guess.. :roll:

No.. there's a lot to learn if I look through the mist of misunderstandings, assumptions, insults and prejudice.
The view here of a child with CI is that of an abused child that has no choices, is punished when it tries to sign, hates to hear and is only interested in knowing Deaf culture.. That every parent who decides to let their child hear is an audist.. Even parents that use signlanguage are attacked by a small group... It's just incredible..

Again... there's a lot to learn here... if one can ignore the insults...
---------------------------------------------------------------
Why don't you crawl back under whatever troll rock you came from?
No, you. But that's okay. We all understand that you are seriously impaired in the area of self honesty. Shame they don't have some sort of implant for that. It would no doubt do the world much more good than the CI.
Looks like you are a bit fond of Jillio, care to take her out, get a room?
Oh, come on, PFH! You know I would never stoop to association with such an audist. It is simply wishful thinking on his part.:giggle:
The fact that English is not your first language is probably the reason that you have such difficulty in understanding what everyone else sees as obvious. Surely it is the language barrier, and not an indication that you are purposely mis-interpreting in order to troll and incite.:cool2:
I know. We always have to come down to their level in order to communicate with them. Sad, but true.
Nope. Still doesn't work. Get some help from someone a bit more technologically proficient than yourself.
:laugh2:
Looks like that bloody forehead of yours would require some medical treatment by now.:laugh2:
Are you truly as stupid as you act? Or is it just a pretense in your quest to troll?
You are pathetic. I have the greatest emapthy for your daughter. Thank goodness each day brings her closer to adulthood.
At least Ash is doing something other than following the hearing around so closely that she has a brown smudge on her nose. Here's your tissue..........
I could tell you what to do with it, but you probably wouldn't understand that any more than you understand the original sentence.:laugh2:

I am suggesting that members here can not only think for themselves
but form their own opinions, too,

so there is no need for you to reply for them:

I'd rather hear this from other people's own mouth than yours - is what I am saying.

Fuzzy

You have already seen it. All you have to do is read the last several pages of this thread. And it isn't coming frrom my mouth, it is coming from my hands. You are not hearing it, you are reading it. See the audist terminology you use without even realizing it?

I see. Not familiar with Norway or its society. How old is your daughter? And has she an interest in signing? Any home signs? When was she implanted? Sounds like she's at an age where she can converse quite well, speech and listening. Also, if no nearby deaf children, any thought on the possibility of introducing some via webcams, for example?
You have met her.. on another messageboard.. But click the link under the post..
She's 9...

How can I identify Lotte as deaf when she can hear.? She's born deaf. But is she deaf when she can hear.?

No.. there's a lot to learn if I look through the mist of misunderstandings, assumptions, insults and prejudice.
The view here of a child with CI is that of an abused child that has no choices, is punished when it tries to sign, hates to hear and is only interested in knowing Deaf culture.. That every parent who decides to let their child hear is an audist.. Even parents that use signlanguage are attacked by a small group... It's just incredible..

Think about this:

1% all deaf people hear nothing
99% deaf people hear, but still deaf

Just because Lotte hear something by mechanical means, not mean she not deaf person. Why you cannot admit she deaf?

Poor poor child.

Think about this:

1% all deaf people hear nothing
99% deaf people hear, but still deaf

Just because Lotte hear something by mechanical means, not mean she not deaf person. Why you cannot admit she deaf?
"Hears something"...
That's a huge understatement... HUGE..

What makes the 99% deaf? They don't hear enough to follow a conversation?

Audiofuzzy: Post #259. It seems the bifurcation of deaf/Deaf-"cultural/oral" here does suggest that Harlan Lane-supposition of Cochlear Implants as being "genocide of the Deaf community" Journey into the DEAF WORLD has "followers here".

Then the matter of "deaf militants" in the "local Deaf community".

Consider the multiple comments on "Cloggy". Also Sunshine last question to him-why here-post #253.

Poor poor child.
-------
Why don't you crawl back under whatever troll rock you came from?
No, you. But that's okay. We all understand that you are seriously impaired in the area of self honesty. Shame they don't have some sort of implant for that. It would no doubt do the world much more good than the CI.
Looks like you are a bit fond of Jillio, care to take her out, get a room?
Oh, come on, PFH! You know I would never stoop to association with such an audist. It is simply wishful thinking on his part.:giggle:
The fact that English is not your first language is probably the reason that you have such difficulty in understanding what everyone else sees as obvious. Surely it is the language barrier, and not an indication that you are purposely mis-interpreting in order to troll and incite.:cool2:
I know. We always have to come down to their level in order to communicate with them. Sad, but true.
Nope. Still doesn't work. Get some help from someone a bit more technologically proficient than yourself.
:laugh2:
Looks like that bloody forehead of yours would require some medical treatment by now.:laugh2:
Are you truly as stupid as you act? Or is it just a pretense in your quest to troll?
You are pathetic. I have the greatest emapthy for your daughter. Thank goodness each day brings her closer to adulthood.
At least Ash is doing something other than following the hearing around so closely that she has a brown smudge on her nose. Here's your tissue..........
I could tell you what to do with it, but you probably wouldn't understand that any more than you understand the original sentence.:laugh2:
Poor Poor child

Again: never dull to say the least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back