bilateral CI kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
my parents reconigzed that... guess what they did? they made sure I had been surrounded by the deaf growing up.

I thank them to this day...

I see deaf people EVERY...SINGLE...DAY....

Not the same person either.

Earlier today I saw a future roomie that is deaf, and an AllDeafer is coming here to meet me here to celebrate the holidays with. That along with a few other IPP (Interpreting prep program) students. Maybe 2-3 other deafies are coming too. We'll see.

That is just an example of my life. I am surrounded by signers Every...Single...Day....

I wouldn't ask for it any other way.
Excellent. !
Meeting d/Deaf people.... I'm not.. My family is not. Lotte is not..
But guess what...She's doing the same as you are doing.. She's also communicating with lots of people. Every...Single...Day....

my parents reconigzed that... guess what they did? they made sure I had been surrounded by the deaf growing up.

I thank them to this day...

Your parents sound wonderful, then.
But some need to talk to yours.
What better way than to perhaps to have link to yours?
or meet them in person?

That was my idea all along, see.

Fuzzy

Many of us have tried to educate parents like the father of the boy about the Deaf community here on AD but if their minds are set against ASL and the Deaf community, it is like hitting a brick wall. It is the medical community that is the problem with them feeding a lot of bullcrap about how being deaf is so horrible and how a CI would make their children normal and all that. Same kind of talk with hearing aides decades ago.

That is very true, and I agree with you.

My point was though, it's still the parents who for whatever reasons decide for the little children
until they are grown older,
but Jillio case shows that here and there a parent happen who dismiss what
the medical establishment has to say, and listens to the Deaf community.

The point is, let's the Deaf community have ways to reach faster.
Ad nauseam here- have simple materials ready, and hand them
to the parents of such boys and girls in the malls?

tell me why this idea is bad. Because it seem to me majority here thinks it is.

Fuzzy

Excellent. !
Meeting d/Deaf people.... I'm not.. My family is not. Lotte is not..
But guess what...She's doing the same as you are doing.. She's also communicating with lots of people. Every...Single...Day....

Not deaf ones, she isn't. Thanks to you. Good job on teaching her that only hearing people matter and deaf people are unimportant and irrelevant, Hope she doesn't feel the same way about herself with that message you're sending her.

Not deaf ones, she isn't. Thanks to you. Good job on teaching her that only hearing people matter and deaf people are unimportant and irrelevant, Hope she doesn't feel the same way about herself with that message you're sending her.
Correct.. No deaf ones. Not thanks to me; thanks to where she lives. Where we live.
And your assumptions are way off..
You seem to think that the motive of parents of deaf children with CI is to keep them away from deaf people. It's not the case. The motive is to let them hear. To let them understand speech. To let them communicate with the family, friends, teachers, coaches etc. To let them have the possibility to communicate with the hearing world.
With that in mind, there is no priority in learning her how to be deaf.
She will or will not connect with deaf people, or even Deaf people, but it is not something that is actively searched for.

The general idea by Deaf people is that deafness / deaf is feared, avoided by the parents. But that's not the case. It's just not an issue.

Our decision has been to have Lotte grow up hearing. Time is spend with that in mind. In time, already now, Lotte will get interested in meeting other people that are hearing impaired. She is interested in sign language, loves to see it, try it out, and that's great. She's also interested in playing the piano and guitar. Sings all the time, and loves to chat with the neighbour downstairs. That's great as well..

So.. she would learn a lot if we would take her to a place where there would be a lot of sign language. However... she would miss a lot of other interaction...

It will happen. She will find deaf people at some time, and we will support her to investigate and learn. In time..

So.. try to get away from this idea that parents are keeping their child away from the Deaf world.. Realise that these parents don't care about the deaf world. They have no opinion, because they are focused on their child that can hear. That likes to hear.

And of course not all parents have a child that blossoms with hearing. They might see communication break down. For them I hope they will learn another form of comunication like sign language or cued speech, and I hope there is a deaf community close by in order to communicate in another way.. Communication is essential... ASL is not.

Too many deaf children never see another deaf person that can hear until they are grown and out on their own.
If a Deaf person can be a rolemodel for a deaf child with CI, why can't a deaf adult with CI be a rolemodel for a Deaf child without CI..

Jillio's statement should be in both directions...
Because their parents don't expose them to any.
Yes, wish more Deaf children would be exposed to deaf adults that can hear...

Nothing.

Likewise,
what's wrong with those of us who are deaf, even Deaf and can hear a little?
and speak?

Fuzzy

Nothing at all.

Whether they are deaf, or Deaf, or hear a little, Lotte gets exposed to NOT A SINGLE ONE of them. Cloggy's said so, repeatedly. She's isolated from every single d/Deaf person out there.

Nothing.

Likewise,
what's wrong with those of us who are deaf, even Deaf and can hear a little?
and speak?

Fuzzy

Well - I am a Deaf, can't hear, but can speak. This was in regards to him insinuating that he only wanted his CI daughter to be involved with hearing or deaf who can hear, not those of us who can't hear. Is there something wrong with those of us who can't hear, but we can still communicate in some fashion? NO!

Cloggy, if you so loathe identify Lotte deaf, and nobody your family deaf, and you not participate deaf community, WHY are you here?

I have an impression Cloggy is interested in keeping ties with the Deaf community
precisely for Lotte's sake,
but I don't know.

From what I read on Lotte's blog, the Norwegian Sign Language WAS provided to Lotte, but she found it boring quickly because she is more interested
in learning sounds at the moment:

Suddenly she say's "I'll turn the sound on so we can hear what the lady says." only to find that there was no sound with this application... She was so surprised.....
Then she smiled, looked at us and said.. "Yeh.! I can do that as well". Took off her CI's and continued playing with the application for a while..
Not too long... there's not enough sound to keep it interesting....

So it's actually Lotte's own choice to be "hearing" not Cloggy's.

But the option to be "Deaf" is always open if Lotte chose so,
from what I understand.

Perhaps there indeed could be done more to interest Lotte in the deaf ways
but also please keep in mind that comparing to other children who have no contact with the deaf/ Deaf whatsoever
I think Cloggy fares very well, wouldn't you guys agree.

Lotte does know some signs and she is let known of the Deaf, he did at least that much.

Fuzzy

I have an impression Cloggy is interested in keeping ties with the Deaf community
precisely for Lotte's sake,
but I don't know.

From what I read on Lotte's blog, the Norwegian Sign Language WAS provided to Lotte, but she found it boring quickly because she is more interested
in learning sounds at the moment:

So it's actually Lotte's own choice to be "hearing" not Cloggy's.

But the option to be "Deaf" is always open if Lotte chose so,
from what I understand.

Perhaps there indeed could be done more to interest Lotte in the deaf ways
but also please keep in mind that comparing to other children who have no contact with the deaf/ Deaf whatsoever
I think Cloggy fares very well, wouldn't you guys agree.

Lotte does know some signs and she is let known of the Deaf, he did at least that much.

Fuzzy

Lotte has never been given a choice.

And no, no one here agrees.

Sunshine: I am bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006. I joined this forum as I am DEAF- which will never change. I have not been "approved by the Local Deaf community".
I have mentioned before I participate in deaf swimming almost every day.
Also knew for almost 15 years that i would be DEAF- after losing all hearing in my right ear-February/92. I was in the Profound category over 35 years.
Isn't the goal here various "viewpoints of the deaf/Deaf/DEAF persons?

Lotte has never been given a choice.

And no, no one here agrees.

Thank you for your opinion Jillio,

but I would appreciate if you also allow people to form their own POV.

Fuzzy

Sunshine: I am bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006. I joined this forum as I am DEAF- which will never change. I have not been "approved by the Local Deaf community".

Why would you feel this way?

Fuzzy

Part reason DrPhil on my ignore list because he post things unrelated topic which make no sense. Like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back