Banned Cochlear Implants?

Yes Vampy, going the oral route with a child only gurentees ONE thing, and that's increased health care costs.(and not all health insurance plans cover everything related to the CI...there are people who have to pay out of pocket for things like mappings and batteries!) Oral skills ARE important...I am VERY glad that I can function somewhat in the hearing world, but the cost is TOO high. I mean even hearing / non-disabled people have trouble with managing health care costs! There's even many people out there who don't have insurance for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's absolutly nothing wrong with implanting a kid who gets absolutly NO benifit whatsoever from hearing aids, but the whole implantation craze is getting out of hand when there are kids who get a lot of benifit from aids getting implanted. On the other hand, at least most deaf and hard of hearing people out there aren't getting implanted in the first place. I remember reading (over at Healthy Normal Hearing Exchange) that only a small percentage of those eligable have been implanted.

deafdyke said:
Yes Vampy, going the oral route with a child only gurentees ONE thing, and that's increased health care costs.(and not all health insurance plans cover everything related to the CI...there are people who have to pay out of pocket for things like mappings and batteries!) Oral skills ARE important...I am VERY glad that I can function somewhat in the hearing world, but the cost is TOO high. I mean even hearing / non-disabled people have trouble with managing health care costs! There's even many people out there who don't have insurance for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cochlear Implants are not the disease as emergency surgery !!! Health Insurance for only people who are serious in their health condition.

Deaf does not cure !!!!

SilenceGold said:
I watched "At first sight". It is same to me. The blind man who can see did not like it all when he could see so he got mad and sat in a room with all lights off and he listens to everything else. More relaxing for him.

It is same for me. Being in public school during lunch time. Very loud so I turn off my CI. Sometimes it is fine if I am sitting in class where only the teacher is talking. All I hear is teacher voice. But my responsiblity of keeping on wearing CI, cannot go swimming, cannot play football, baseball, and track with it. Too much hassle. Right now, I am used to deaf way. If I need to talk to a hearing person, I can do with speech and read lips. Where does CI help me? nothing.

Very good anology !! :roll:

I think C.I's would be good for a child who had been born deaf.

If I had a baby today, and found out it was deaf, I would be happy to organise a C.I for it, because I would be giving it an opportunity to learn from the very start what very basic sound is like. It would be a lot easier to learn speech and understanding of the sounds that a C.I makes, and easier to deal with them and get used to them, than if you started from a much later age.

They would still have hardly any hearing (if what I read is correct), but it would give them a bit of understanding of the hearing world.

I think it is definately up to the person whether or not they have a C.I., but as a parent of a small child, it is up to you to make that decision. Children just cannot make that decision themselves.

And anyway, you can always not use the C.I if you dont want it - but I would much prefer that the option be there.

Deaf does not cure !!!!
A CI isn't a cure for crying out loud! Yes, there are some people who can hear quite a bit with them and there are plenty of cases where the only benifit is increased perception of enviormental noise, but most cases fall in between those two extremes! As a matter of fact, most really good users of the CI have a mild-moderate loss with it on.(and severe-profound losses with it off) I have a moderately severe loss without my hearing aids, but with my hearing aids I'm almost hearing!
Am I not "Deaf enough " b/c of that? Didn't think so!

I was told at few days ago that the Germans are going to fighting to ban for implant the babies to small children. I will vote for that. I pray that it´ll be successful....
We all believe that the children or adults are the ONE who choose what they want or not.

Liebling:-))) said:
I was told at few days ago that the Germans are going to fighting to ban for implant the babies to small children. I will vote for that. I pray that it´ll be successful....
We all believe that the children or adults are the ONE who choose what they want or not.
Oh yes, without get the force from their parents

Liebling:-))) said:

Absolutely Agree with you there Liebling!... :thumb:

I wish State of Ohio would do that too..Banned CI until Child is old enough to make the choice on their own without the parents making the choices for them..... :mrgreen:

The ban will never happen in the Good Ol' USA and Canada.

Whew!

It all depends on whats good for the kid. Not every kid will benefit from a cochlear implant. But about deaf culture, I think implantees should be accepted into the deaf community to make the deaf culture a lot larger. I don't want this beautiful culture to die. What I am worried about though is the stem cell research. They say it can "cure" deafness. That's why I am so worried here. But anyway, implanted or not, the person is still deaf. I am a little fraustrated about the stem cells though.

I am the type that accept changes. Some things die in a number of years, but then again it may not be like Latin Language.*shrug*

JesKlu said:
It all depends on whats good for the kid. Not every kid will benefit from a cochlear implant. But about deaf culture, I think implantees should be accepted into the deaf community to make the deaf culture a lot larger. I don't want this beautiful culture to die. What I am worried about though is the stem cell research. They say it can "cure" deafness. That's why I am so worried here. But anyway, implanted or not, the person is still deaf. I am a little fraustrated about the stem cells though.

Why are you worried about the stem cells? If it actually will be able to cure deafness, I would think it is a good cure, not a bad one.

They never said that it can cure deafness, but they did say that it does has the potential of doing so. If it is capable of curing deafness, it will make a massive difference and impact for the better.

here s my opinion...

Kids/adults who are old enough to make their own decisions and wants CI... let them!

kids/adults who are unable to make decisions... let them be!

so banning CI is not good idea because it will be useful for those who have been hearing for whole life then suddenly became deaf and hearing aid doesnt help.

banning CI is not good idea because there will be deaf people who wants to be ableto hear.

only important thing i believe is RIGHTS... people cant make decisions for us. WE have to make it for ourselves individuality of course. EAch of us have right to decide or not.

to respond to some of other posts (too many posts lol) CI does nothing for some people its only because they dont wish to use it, or doesnt have ability to understand the noises. I use CI for various reasons.. and its never is for communication. Forget it. i cant understand whats they are talking about. HOwever i have a passion for music. and thats what i need CI for. Also for work since im blue collar worker so there is a lot of danger that i could find CI to be useful.

So find something u would find CI to be useful and take advantage of that. If u dont.. then dont use it. waste of your time, waste of headaches and waste of energy.

i think i covered everything with my own opinions. Again they are not to agrue.. it is just simply my opinions :)

have a merry christmas

Why is everyone wanting to ban Cochlear Implants?

Where is our damn rights? We do have rights to have a CI if we want to.

Parents have rights.

Do not take our rights away.

We do not attempt to ban ASL.

I am getting really tired of people being threatened by CI. CI is just a TOOL, not a CURE!

Young children benefit much greater than adults when get a CI.

But you dont have to agree. Let other people have their own choices.

It is not your place to ban cochlear implants.

We do have room for everyones needs.

Meg said:
Why is everyone wanting to ban Cochlear Implants?

Where is our damn rights? We do have rights to have a CI if we want to.

Parents have rights.

Do not take our rights away.

We do not attempt to ban ASL.

I am getting really tired of people being threatened by CI. CI is just a TOOL, not a CURE!

Young children benefit much greater than adults when get a CI.

But you dont have to agree. Let other people have their own choices.

It is not your place to ban cochlear implants.

We do have room for everyones needs.

yup I have to agree with this....
that's why I mostly avoid ci discussion.....

Wendy

WBHarley said:
yup I have to agree with this....
that's why I mostly avoid ci discussion.....

Wendy

Youre smart.
I think Im in this funky mood today - wanting to bite other peoples heads off as I seem to have low tolerance right now for morons.

:cool:

Back