Banned Cochlear Implants?

What matters to me in all of this is HOW the individual conducts himself or herself. I have seen some extreme intolerance and self defensive mechansims. Let's get this block outta the way and let it be ok for people to have different views, even if you can share your views with each other. ;) At least, we can always learn from one another.

What works for one individual may not always work for another. Also, keep in mind some deaf have lost their hearing later in life, and some have been born with it.

I feel since I was born deaf, there's no need for me to get CI cuz i am deaf in the first place, therefore I have no memories of sounds before losing my hearing, so I wouldn't know what I'm missing out on, plus i don't see how CI would help me much since I have been born deaf instead of losing my hearing when I was older. I think CI should still be an option though for those that do want to try it. It's just not for me.

I agree with the following members:

Aphrodiate - to create a productive essay, go to your local library, and research via periodicals and stuff.

Kuifje75 - "What may work for one person may not work for the other person."

Cain Marko - Banning implants doesn't necessarily promote Deaf culture.

When I was a child, some doctor brought up the CI concept to my parents. My parents thought about it, asked questions, but after realizing that the CI did not guarantee anything, my parents rejected the idea.

If you asked me, I'm neutral when it comes to CI. I think the notion of being able to hear better is great and all, and I'm happy for those that are happy with it, but not always does it work for everyone. Then again, that's my opinion.

Now, people, please -- everyone has their own opinion. We're here to have debates, sure, but at the same time show respect to the other poster. I don't want to have to take action on anyone for not abiding by the Forum Rules. Please practice camaraderie. Thanks. :)

Originally posted by Alex
I agree with the following members:

Aphrodiate - to create a productive essay, go to your local library, and research via periodicals and stuff.

Kuifje75 - "What may work for one person may not work for the other person."

Cain Marko - Banning implants doesn't necessarily promote Deaf culture.

When I was a child, some doctor brought up the CI concept to my parents. My parents thought about it, asked questions, but after realizing that the CI did not guarantee anything, my parents rejected the idea.

If you asked me, I'm neutral when it comes to CI. I think the notion of being able to hear better is great and all, and I'm happy for those that are happy with it, but not always does it work for everyone. Then again, that's my opinion.

Now, people, please -- everyone has their own opinion. We're here to have debates, sure, but at the same time show respect to the other poster. I don't want to have to take action on anyone for not abiding by the Forum Rules. Please practice camaraderie. Thanks. :)

:werd:

Originally posted by SilenceGold
I watched "At first sight". It is same to me. The blind man who can see did not like it all when he could see so he got mad and sat in a room with all lights off and he listens to everything else. More relaxing for him.

It is same for me. Being in public school during lunch time. Very loud so I turn off my CI. Sometimes it is fine if I am sitting in class where only the teacher is talking. All I hear is teacher voice. But my responsiblity of keeping on wearing CI, cannot go swimming, cannot play football, baseball, and track with it. Too much hassle. Right now, I am used to deaf way. If I need to talk to a hearing person, I can do with speech and read lips. Where does CI help me? nothing.

:eek: Can't go swimming? I dont think so.. you can go swimming, or play baseball.. I've gone swimming and played basebal and soccer....

Originally posted by Teekie
:eek: Can't go swimming? I dont think so.. you can go swimming, or play baseball.. I've gone swimming and played basebal and soccer....

I cannot do that when I am wearing the unit on the outside.

Sure I can do all that without wearing it and not hearing everything.

I cannot do that when I am wearing the unit on the outside.

Sure I can do all that without wearing it and not hearing everything.

Oh, of course..can't wear the unit while swimming, but I did wear it while playing soccer so I could hear the whistle..

Oh, of course..can't wear the unit while swimming, but I did wear it while playing soccer so I could hear the whistle..

Yea it sounds fine.

I get hit by baseball almost all the time. I'm not one of those guys who jump out of the way when a ball hits the ground in front of me.

If I was wearing this unit, I'm sure it'll be broken several times.

One year, I was stealing second base and a baseball hit me in the side of my head when I did a hand slide. My mother got so worried thinking that it could have dented my cochlear implant inside my head but it was fine. *whew*

Yea it sounds fine.

I get hit by baseball almost all the time. I'm not one of those guys who jump out of the way when a ball hits the ground in front of me.

If I was wearing this unit, I'm sure it'll be broken several times.

One year, I was stealing second base and a baseball hit me in the side of my head when I did a hand slide. My mother got so worried thinking that it could have dented my cochlear implant inside my head but it was fine. *whew*

But you worn a baseball helmet with side ear protection??? If not, then why?
CI manufactures extremely urge those with CI plays in sports should wear helmets and protections than ignore it entirely!

and be sure you have a insurance for your CI in case it break then it can be replaced! Like we get insurance for our car!

Originally posted by Boult
CI manufactures extremely urge those with CI plays in sports should wear helmets and protections than ignore it entirely!

and be sure you have a insurance for your CI in case it break then it can be replaced! Like we get insurance for our car!

Yes I wore it. That ball that hit me on the side of my head came at like 120 mph. It was in babe ruth league. It was a good catcher at that time.

I didn't have insurance for CI. I did have it for a short time but dropped it because of restrictions like I am not allowed to wear the CI unit upon rides in Magic Springs in Hot Springs. They had made a list of what I'm not allowed to do with CI. It was a bullshit to me. Why pay for something that limits me from using my CI. Now I am glad that I don't have to deal with CI problems. It's not worth it in my opinion for me. Maybe someone else would benefit it better than me.

Yes I wore it. That ball that hit me on the side of my head came at like 120 mph. It was in babe ruth league. It was a good catcher at that time.

I didn't have insurance for CI. I did have it for a short time but dropped it because of restrictions like I am not allowed to wear the CI unit upon rides in Magic Springs in Hot Springs. They had made a list of what I'm not allowed to do with CI. It was a bullshit to me. Why pay for something that limits me from using my CI. Now I am glad that I don't have to deal with CI problems. It's not worth it in my opinion for me. Maybe someone else would benefit it better than me.

Yeah, I never wore a helmet when I played sports.. I dont follow the restrictions because most of it is bullshit. I don't like being limited to do a lot of things.

Yeah, I never wore a helmet when I played sports.. I dont follow the restrictions because most of it is bullshit. I don't like being limited to do a lot of things.

It was part of a law for baseball players (either batting or on the bases) to wear helments.

I even wore protection clothings for football.

Remember that my unit was a box sized unit that I would carry on my side of my pants with a wire going from it to under my shirt up to my side of my head. If a ball hit this box sized unit, it'll be more likely to shatter everywhere. Or imagine my ear being torn off when a ball hit the wire between where it comes out of my shirt going to my head. :P

Yeah, I never wore a helmet when I played sports..
I wear a helmet when I ski and my helmet goes over my ears and I really can't hear anything!

Boult said:

:| Image, little children get injury from baseball hit on the head. They have to go through re-surgery to replacement the cochlear implant. They did not ask for CI. What an idiot of parents make terrible decision for their children.

It has been heat debate since 5 years now. I am very against children get ci as they did not ask for it. I have seen most Deaf teenager kids do not use their cochlear implants because the sounds were very annoying them. It causes them headache and dizzy.

Metal stuck in their heads as they born natural Deaf on the earth. Why would the parents did not accept for who they are. *sigh*

At 1.3% that is about 780 people who ended up not using it, and about 59,220 who do.
On the other hand radiohead, the study doesn't define the term usesage. What precisely does that term mean? Some implantees may just use a CI to improve awareness of enviromental sounds, some may just use it to help with speechreading and so on. (just as with hearing aids) It doesn't mean that all of those 59,220 people use their CIs to function like hearing or hard of hearing people. Most of the stats out there indicate that sucess with CI has been VERY accross the board.
I know that the whole Deaf culture is anti-CI b/c we associate it with going the oral route, and that IS a legitimate concern. However, it does seem like a significent percentage of pedatric implantees would have been raised oral even without being implanted! Look at the stories on oral deaf webpages....most of the stories are filled with kids who were first aided and then after two years implanted. I do definitly agree that a lot of hearing parents who implant their kids don't accept their kids for who they are.
I see so many hearing/nondisabled parents whining that they wish that their kids were "healthy and normal" These are parents of kids with relatively mild disabilties, the kids who are going to be just like any other kid on the block with the exception that they wear hearing aids or CI, or use a wheelchair or use a walker or poop or pee via an ostomy or are g-tube fed or breathe through a trach or whatever. The oral route really does capiltaize on that parental desire for "healthy and normal kids" Look at the language used in the ads for oral early intervention programs in Volta Voices!!!! They use language that capiltizes strongly on parental prejudice of ASL as a "speshal needs" language. It really irritates me. Sure some oral kids have great language and speech skills....when the technolgy works. However what about when the technology doesn't work? What about all the times when hearing aids or CIs break or are turned off? They can't function very well without hearing aids or CIs. Whereas a deaf or a hard of hearing kid who is being raised with both ASL and English can function both with and without expensive technology! I love how lots of experts consider ASL to be a crutch but they don't consider hearing aids and CIs to be a crutch.
Parents need to understand that they need to give their kids all the tools possible to function both in the deaf world and the hearing world...both with hearing aids and or CIs and without hearing aids and or CIs!

Yeah, I agree with you. Not all insurances or warranty cover those kind of accidents. Sure, kids may get free cochlear implants cuz it's included in their health insurance. However, accidents aren't covered so they have 2 choices. They can leave it alone for free or pay for having it repaired. What if the repair is worse than before? There are a lot of risks.

Back