Banned Cochlear Implants?

Meg said:
Youre smart.
I think Im in this funky mood today - wanting to bite other peoples heads off as I seem to have low tolerance right now for morons.

:cool:
i second that ;-)

Alex said:
I agree with the following members:

Aphrodiate - to create a productive essay, go to your local library, and research via periodicals and stuff.

Kuifje75 - "What may work for one person may not work for the other person."

Cain Marko - Banning implants doesn't necessarily promote Deaf culture.

When I was a child, some doctor brought up the CI concept to my parents. My parents thought about it, asked questions, but after realizing that the CI did not guarantee anything, my parents rejected the idea.

If you asked me, I'm neutral when it comes to CI. I think the notion of being able to hear better is great and all, and I'm happy for those that are happy with it, but not always does it work for everyone. Then again, that's my opinion.

Now, people, please -- everyone has their own opinion. We're here to have debates, sure, but at the same time show respect to the other poster. I don't want to have to take action on anyone for not abiding by the Forum Rules. Please practice camaraderie. Thanks. :)

I agree-gree. I'm 17 now, had my CI for about 8 or 9 years, got no regrets about it, coz i can talk and sign perfectly, i'm neutral toward CI. It's actually helped me get a better quality of life in both culture (hearing and deaf) and make me appreciate that life's unfair, and we cant do jacksh!t about it.

Nothing we do makes a difference, cause they'll always be there. Like that song by AC/DC called "Rock and Roll ain't Noise Pollution"

radiohead said:
Why would you want to ban something that alot of people enjoy? John's Hopkins University did a recent survey to determine the rate of non-use in cochlear implants, meaning they wanted to find out how many people end up not using the CI after they are implanted. On average, they found a rate of 1.3% of people who are implanted end up not using the CI.

There are approximately 60,000 implanted people in the world today. At 1.3% that is about 780 people who ended up not using it, and about 59,220 who do.

Would you mind citing your resource for that information? Audiology, the professional journal of American audiologists, reported that 70 % of CI users were not using them by the early teen years. This doesn't make the Hopkins data incorrect. It may mean that point at which CI uses seem to reject the CI comes later in life. Perhaps this means that most CI users are less than 12 years old, or that the statistics or crowded with late-deafened adults who get the greatest benefit from the CI and would skew the results. It's hard to know what the Hopkins survey means when you don't know whom they surveyed and if there is a breakdown in the age, age at implantation, pre or post linguial. There are lots of variable that could effect that report so at this point we can't embrace it or discard it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Irish Devil Dog,
What CI did you get? Why are you against them? Would you like to hear all those sounds again?
Leah

meg

Meg said:
Why is everyone wanting to ban Cochlear Implants?

Where is our damn rights? We do have rights to have a CI if we want to.

Parents have rights.

Do not take our rights away.

We do not attempt to ban ASL.

I am getting really tired of people being threatened by CI. CI is just a TOOL, not a CURE!

Young children benefit much greater than adults when get a CI.

But you dont have to agree. Let other people have their own choices.

It is not your place to ban cochlear implants.

We do have room for everyones needs.
you are absolutly right they er just merley a tool just updated than the hearing aids like the vcr versus the disc player etc me and my six yr old son has ci on both hears doesnt mean oh iam cured from deafness is not going to happpen its just update your hearing bettter just like those old tty etc .blah blah heheh right

leah

Leah said:
Irish Devil Dog,
What CI did you get? Why are you against them? Would you like to hear all those sounds again?
Leah
which irich devil dog are you talking about sorrryyy heheheh !and yeah it is true to be able to hear more sounds like i said above my posts kewlie .

I don't think CIs should be banned but I do think that the criteria for implantation should be a lot stricter especially for kids. I think that CI implantation should be more of a last resort thing, and I think that body worn aids should be pushed more BEFORE implantation. Yes, I know that alledgedly the BTE aids are suppposed to be as strong as the old body worn aids, but size really DOES equal power.There are probaly a lot of people out there who don't get as much power from BTEs, who'd do really well with body worn aids.

Back